Mac to SMU???

Marty

1 hour ago, meangreenlax said:

The worst part about DFW is the prevalence of the SMU guy who thinks his ill gotten gains from waltzing into a make-work position at his daddy’s firm is a sign of his natural abilities and skills. When in reality he is profoundly mediocre and replaceable and no amount of money will change that. Just like SMU athletics. 

I grew up in a town of less than 600 people in East Texas the son of two public school teachers.

I guess I missed the "going to work for daddy" track at SMU.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

58 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Nah, just pointing out the insecurities that bring you to our board.

Someone starts a thread about your coach being rumored to be headed to SMU.  I'm not starting SMU threads.  Might wanna direct that venom elsewhere.

FWIW I have heard the UNT coach is the top target.  Doesn't mean he takes the job but apparently he's been the top candidate for a month.

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

If Mac goes to SMU how do we act in 2023-24 when he comes to the super pit?

Also the coaching carrousel is the reason why the transfer portal does not bother me.

Oh he’d get booed for sure. It wouldn’t be Tech levels of petty but he would definitely hear it. 

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Just now, dutch said:

Right.  You can bet that "source" is Mac's agent.  It's how the game is played.  Also, know that this wasn't a snap decision and talks have probably been going on for a while.

For all we know this could just be leverage for Grant to cash a bigger check here too. Absolutely how the game is played.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

Less than zero chance. He’s just playing the game for a contract renegotiation. SMU isn’t a step up, and as shown it’s a step down in all but finances.

Incorrect on a lot of what you've said here but apparently the draw for the UNT coach is not having to uproot his family and move halfway around the country.  Of course that could all be part of the narrative but we'll see.

It could absolutely be a negotiating tactic but money talks.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, meangreenlax said:

Money wise, I get it. It makes sense. Career wise? Absolutely makes no sense. UNT and SMU will be conference mates and there’s no real indication that they’ll get the call up to the Big 12 anytime soon.

Judging from how quick SMU runs through coaches, it’s more likely that Grant will have an off NIT year and get shitcanned before another round of realignment happens.

Regardless, UNT needs to pay the man. Hell, give him Littrell’s contract. 

How quick SMU runs through coaches?  Jank has been here as a HC for 6 years.  Zero NCAA tourney wins and alienated the big money boosters.  He knew he was out when SMU lost in the AAC Tournament.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

54 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

I grew up in a town of less than 600 people in East Texas the son of two public school teachers.

I guess I missed the "going to work for daddy" track at SMU.

Why wouldn’t you name the city?  What are you hiding?

• Haha 6

Who says Hodge stays?  If Mac is getting a huge bump, I'd expect Hodge and the rest of the staff would too.  It's always been a package deal, from my understanding.  His staff is his team.

SMU, at least in name, still has 'Methodist' in their name.  Whether or not you or I think they have embarrassed/disgraced their represented church, Grant is a Christian and that could absolutely be a draw for him.  That said, uprooting from Argyle to Dallas may not be AS far as moving across the country---it is STILL uprooting your kids from their schools and friends.  Is he living in Argyle and driving to downtown Dallas every single day and working the long coaching hours along with that?  I expect that his better half will have something to say.

End of the day, SMU is a lateral move with potentially better pay if we can't/won't step up to meet it.  Hopefully this is a leverage play and we play ball.  He and his staff have earned a raise.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Could absolutely be a leverage play.  Its a business.

SMU is willing to go to 5 years at $2.75m.  

Those numbers don't make sense. He'd be getting more than Penny at Memphis for doing the same job as Jankovich. The expectation with that kind of salary is Sweet 16/Elite 8, what happens if he misses the tournament altogether? 

36 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Could absolutely be a leverage play.  Its a business.

SMU is willing to go to 5 years at $2.75m.  

No question SMU pays more. I'm guessing we could get get up to around $1.5 million. But I don't think this is all about money. McCasland is already on the verge of getting jobs way better than SMU. Why would he settle for the marginal jump up when he could get something way better next year? Career wise it doesn't make sense. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 2

Objectively speaking, I wonder how Mccasland’s JUCO recruiting approach would mesh with SMU. Unfamiliar fans would most likely start freaking out when the hotshot new coach starts bringing in unheralded JUCOs when they were expecting high-end 3 star HS recruits and High Major portal transfers.

• Upvote 2

Jank wasn't great, but he wasn't terrible either... the AAC is a tougher conference.  Mac did a great job at UNT finding talent in the juco ranks, and players with no other offers from D1 schools, especially during the covid years.  He made it work in CUSA, but I don't know if that style of recruiting will work in the AAC. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

Objectively speaking, I wonder how Mccasland’s JUCO recruiting approach would mesh with SMU. Unfamiliar fans would most likely start freaking out when the hotshot new coach starts bringing in unheralded JUCOs when they were expecting high-end 3 star HS recruits and High Major portal transfers.

They don't have any fans.  Problem solved.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2