Wow the crowd looks awesome

Jonnyeagle

12 minutes ago, dodgefan said:

Since you dragged SMU into it, let's look at other numbers. UNT's arena holds almost 10,000, so it was half full. Enrollment at SMU is less than 7,000, enrollment at UNT is 42,000. I would guarantee, that the number of DFW-UNT Alums dwarfs SMU. So in reality, UNT is massively underachieving with attendance.

Aren't you underachieving with  your screen name?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dodgefan said:

Since you dragged SMU into it, let's look at other numbers. UNT's arena holds almost 10,000, so it was half full. Enrollment at SMU is less than 7,000, enrollment at UNT is 42,000. I would guarantee, that the number of DFW-UNT Alums dwarfs SMU. So in reality, UNT is massively underachieving with attendance.

Oklahoma drew 4324. LLoyd Noble Center seats 10,967. 

https://soonersports.com/documents/2022/3/20/2072416.PDF

But of course, OU has only about 30,000 students and it is a football school right?

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, dodgefan said:

So in reality, UNT is massively underachieving with attendance.

I know people here don’t want to admit it, but he’s not wrong. Our attendance is dreadful across the board considering student body size and DFW-area alumni.

And Oklahoma should be embarrassed by their attendance too.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I know people here don’t want to admit it, but he’s not wrong. Our attendance is dreadful across the board considering student body size and DFW-area alumni.

You sort of made an argument against your point with this post and I’ll say why.

First, I really question if you are a true fan or not or maybe you are just new to the North Texas scene.  If you had been following this program for any amount of time you would recognize that we have seen tremendous growth under McCasland after TB basically ran the program into the ground.  The CBI crowds and some of the crowds we have seen this year and years past have been a HUGE improvement over what we have come to expect here.  For you to not acknowledge that in your post makes me wonder if you are sincere.  That said, for the purposes of setting the record straight for others I will assume you are.

The other problem with your statement is that all NCAA attendance is way down, not just at OU but places like Baylor who just won a national championship last year.   ADs across the county are trying every promotional tool on the kit but to no avail.  Instead of addressing that issue you instead decide to point out attendance at UNT specifically which is not fair since we are one of many, some of which have way more tradition and history than we might offer.

There are a several components to this that I would like to point out.  The first is in general society today has more entertainment options than ever before and here in DFW this is multiplied by 10.

The second is  ESPN or more specifically ESPN plus and the others like Stadium and whatnot.  For a nominal fee you can watch basically every damn UNT game you want from the comfort of your couch!  It’s never been easier to do.  So instead of paying expensive gas and dealing with parking and high concessions you can park your lazy ass and drink a six pack of Lone Star whilest watching the Mean Green.

Lastly, there’s this little virus called Covid. Yes it’s gotten better thank god but if you are elderly or have other medical issues you sure as hell are going to steer clear of public places in tight quarters such as The Pit or other basketball venues.  If you think that is not affecting college sports attendance you are extremely naive.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Virginia, a basketball school, drew 5278 (capacity 14,593) against Mississippi State at home in the NIT first round.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/matchup?gameId=401411704

So, would it be good attendance if we had drawn 412 more people?

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 3

14 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Let It Go Please GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Let it go.

You are 100% correct, but he/she/they are the typical "show up and criticize" poster that is only here to complain and never show up to recognize the great things at North Texas.  Their only attachment to our fine institution was through Todd Dodge, and while I agree with his statement that they are fine people, to be critical of what he thinks are shortcomings at North Texas while supporting a coach that sadly took the wrong approach, forced by the administration or not, is ironic at best.  Support us or move along.