More data supporting pending P5 break-away?

El Paso Eagle

But . . . is that level of growth sustainable, when driven primarily by TV revenues?  Remember ESPN cutting all those jobs just a couple of years ago?  I could see this crashing to the ground.  Yes, your Michigans, Alabamas, Ohio States, and Oklahomas will be just fine; but schools like Vanderbilt, Northwestern, and Illinois could find themselves in a situation where their financial dependence on conference affiliation and TV dollars cuts their own throats.

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

But . . . is that level of growth sustainable, when driven primarily by TV revenues?  Remember ESPN cutting all those jobs just a couple of years ago?  I could see this crashing to the ground.  Yes, your Michigans, Alabamas, Ohio States, and Oklahomas will be just fine; but schools like Vanderbilt, Northwestern, and Illinois could find themselves in a situation where their financial dependence on conference affiliation and TV dollars cuts their own throats.

I still think the top 30-40 will break away as some point to form a Professional Collegiate Football League.

• Upvote 2

So the few & the bold of G5 who aspire more will never again be allowed in the P5 country club?  Sounds so elitist & reeking of snobbery to me—unlike Washington where politicians arrive dirt poor & come out multi-millionaires with little or no effort at all with never an explanation as to how they pulled it off behind their constituent’s backs—just like the Founding Fathers had it all planned.(sarc). 
Bureaucrats will have us all in soup lines before they finish & there are as many of them employed by universities as there are in all the City Halls of America.  
🎻Get fiddles—play fiddles.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

So the few & the bold of G5 who aspire more will never again be allowed in the P5 country club?  Sounds so elitist & reeking of snobbery to me—unlike Washington where politicians arrive dirt poor & come out multi-millionaires with little or no effort at all with never an explanation as to how they pulled it off behind their constituent’s backs—just like the Founding Fathers had it all planned.(sarc). 
Bureaucrats will have us all in soup lines before they finish & there are as many of them employed by universities as there are in all the City Halls of America.  
🎻Get fiddles—play fiddles.  

The cream of the G5 crop will always rise to the top.  Build your program well and the rest will take care of itself…

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

The cream of the G5 crop will always rise to the top.  Build your program well and the rest will take care of itself…

I think Wren and many other G5's have done a good job learning to live within their means. I think some of the lower P5's will be in serious trouble when the uppers break away and take the big dollars.

This has been predicted for years on this board.

I've seen this put forth by several so called football experts, but I think it is highly unlikely.  Why support a second lower level of pro football, when the NFL already exist.  

Of course, where do you draw the line, if you cut it down to 50 programs, then probably half the teams are going to be habitual losers.  Do you then drop them and continue with 25, etc., etc.  

Of course, the SEC is close to being this level with the new alignment. 

I think it is just as likely that the lower tier P5's and G5's may have had enough of this foolishness and break-off into a more amateur model. 

• Upvote 2