1st Amendment Lawsuit Goes Forward

FIRE first covered the suit, sponsored by Alliance Defending Freedom, when it was filed back in April 2020. As we summarized the facts at the time:

Oh I wonder who they are...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_Defending_Freedom

The Southern Poverty Law Center designates ADF as an anti-LGBT hate group for opposing the decriminalization of homosexuality in the United States and around the world, opposing same-sex marriage in the United States and around the world, supporting the discredited practice of conversion therapy, opposing laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity, pushing for and defending laws restricting the rights of transgender people in bathrooms and in sports, and falsely linking homosexuality to pedophilia.[10] The SPLC has also described the ADF as a "prominent Christian legal powerhouse" and criticized it for providing "advice to anti-gay bigots in Belize".

Ah. Tells me all I need to know about this suit. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

57 minutes ago, untbowler said:

yeah because the SPLC has any standing to call any other group a hate group. 

https://www.newsweek.com/splc-nawaz-million-apologizes-981879

lmao, yeah totally invalidates everything else they do and definitely puts them in worse regard than an anti-gay dark money PAC. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

1 minute ago, LongJim said:

Clarification?  Are you saying that the suit is without merit because of the sponsor?

Based on the history of that sponsor: extremely likely. They're homophobic zealots who do nothing more than try and push their belief systems into our schools and life under the guise of protecting religious freedom. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

Based on the history of that sponsor: extremely likely. They're homophobic zealots who do nothing more than try and push their belief systems into our schools and life under the guise of protecting religious freedom.

Okay, for the sake of argument, let's say you're right about your opinion of them.

Based on what you read regarding the case, and what the district court ruled, do you think the suit has merit?

• Upvote 2

Putting the merits of the lawsuit aside, responding to a flyer lying around by writing anonymously on a chalk board "please don’t leave garbage lying around” and then subsequently complaining in a lawsuit that microaggressions "suppresses alternative viewpoints instead of encouraging growth and dialogue" is some A+ level irony.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

19 hours ago, chomp said:

Putting the merits of the lawsuit aside, responding to a flyer lying around by writing anonymously on a chalk board "please don’t leave garbage lying around” and then subsequently complaining in a lawsuit that microaggressions "suppresses alternative viewpoints instead of encouraging growth and dialogue" is some A+ level irony.

I would agree if he hadn't been fired and coerced to apologize for what appears to be a snarky comment, if what is alleged is true. 

As it is, I don't see any irony.  I think his point is being made by his boss' resulting actions.

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 2

I believe in leaving free markets to take care of things themselves….I also think companies should be left alone to make their own rules within reason…..

So having said that: I agree with the professor that “micro aggressions” are garbage. I think he’s right. They are garbage. 

However I also agree that if a company doesn’t like how he handled himself, they can fire him. I don’t care that it’s a university or a private business. Treat them the same. The 1st amendment protects against being arrested for speech. Not losing your job. (Even though I don’t think he should’ve lost his job, the university can do what it wants. If you don’t like it don’t work there.) If I wrote a note on the bulletin board that my boss is an idiot it’s my right to say that…..but it doesn’t mean he can’t fire me. 

However what this highlights is a lack of consistency often shown by one side of the political spectrum and this side happens to dominate academia. If he wrote that same thing over a stack of Trump for President flyers he would be celebrated and not fired. 

• Upvote 7
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 3/18/2022 at 1:10 PM, Coffee and TV said:

who do nothing more than try and push their belief systems into our schools and life

I didn’t read the lawsuit so I won’t comment on that but I read the discussion and the quoted section above could be said about every politician and advocacy group across the country. Whether it be Donald Trump or Joe Biden, they both want you to see the world through their lens.

• Upvote 3

On 3/18/2022 at 1:10 PM, Coffee and TV said:

try and push their belief systems into our schools and life 

Pot meet kettle.  The same can be said for many organizations on the Left.\

Oh, and being critical of ADL while supporting that claim with statements by SPLC is hilarious.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

17 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I believe in leaving free markets to take care of things themselves….I also think companies should be left alone to make their own rules within reason…..

So having said that: I agree with the professor that “micro aggressions” are garbage. I think he’s right. They are garbage. 

However I also agree that if a company doesn’t like how he handled himself, they can fire him. I don’t care that it’s a university or a private business. Treat them the same. The 1st amendment protects against being arrested for speech. Not losing your job. (Even though I don’t think he should’ve lost his job, the university can do what it wants. If you don’t like it don’t work there.) If I wrote a note on the bulletin board that my boss is an idiot it’s my right to say that…..but it doesn’t mean he can’t fire me. 

However what this highlights is a lack of consistency often shown by one side of the political spectrum and this side happens to dominate academia. If he wrote that same thing over a stack of Trump for President flyers he would be celebrated and not fired. 

almost like he was maybe fired for his actions, rather than his beliefs...

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

27 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

almost like he was maybe fired for his actions, rather than his beliefs...

That’s the way I saw it 🤷🏼‍♂️

At least, unless there was an example of that same behavior not being punished…..that’s a pretty easy defense….how about that

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 3/18/2022 at 1:18 PM, LongJim said:

do you think the suit has merit?

Nope. 

EDIT: I stand by what I feel about his sponsors, but that FIRE group you linked to is interesting. When I was searching for more info about this case I did see some other first amendment suits they're taking up that seem to make them consistent with their ideology. 

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1