Virginia (3/20/22)

Big Z

33 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I mean, St Bonaventure already beat Colorado and Oklahoma on the road. Far from a foregone conclusion, especially without Jones. 

Yeah, no kidding.  Hopefully we'd have had a good crowd to try and will the guys to victory, but with such a quick turnaround who the hell even knows.  I thought the Super Pit helped the squad yesterday.  Very loud on the radio feed.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, 2020 Sucks said:

I think the thing that killed us was TB3's attempt from the three-point line there in the closing minute.  He was open and had a good look, but that's just not his game.  I'm sure he was confident and wanted to be a leader there...but in that situation, you play to your strengths as a team.  TB was 22 of 76 from beyond the arc this season (29%)...I don't think you want an 81% failure shot with the game on the line.

I looked over at coach McCasland when Bell missed that shot, and he was clapping and telling him he had a green light to take that shot again if it was there. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

he was 110% sure it wasn't a great shot

“You miss 110% of the great shots you don’t have an 81% chance of missing.” - Wayne Goatse 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/20/2022 at 8:01 PM, emmitt01 said:

For the love of God, help me understand this madness!!

In paragraph one we acknowledge that we were without our main ball handler who is a defender with length.   Then in the VERY NEXT PARAGRAPH we trot out the tired (and easily disproven) argument that our short rotation was the issue…a rotation that, again, was missing a STARTER who is its main ball handler who is a defender with length

And did we forget we had the ball in our hands to end both regulation and overtime with a chance to win against a team that beat Duke (at Duke)??

We lost a war with a quality opponent and took every punch they threw at us.  There is a 00000000% chance that playing more players changes that.  

My point, and it does not seem so hard to grasp to me; is that NT lost their best guard defender and with him I believe we would have won the game.   All your stats are not going to prove anything, but logic would indicate that just perhaps their guards would not have got as many good shots.  

Has anyone denied that VA was a quality opponent?  I have not seen it, but there is also the point that NT was favored.

I don't get your last statement at all.  Zero chance, that if McCasland had given more minutes to his bench throughout the year that would not have helped when a starter is out.   There is 00000% chance that is accurate.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

My point, and it does not seem so hard to grasp to me; is that NT lost their best guard defender and with him I believe we would have won the game.   All your stats are not going to prove anything, but logic would indicate that just perhaps their guards would not have got has many good shots.  

Has anyone denied that VA was a quality opponent?  I have not seen it, but there is also the point that NT was favored.

I don't get your last statement at all.  Zero chance, that if McCasland had given more minutes to his bench throughout the year that would not have helped when a starter is out.   There is 00000% chance that is accurate.  

You're correct in that not having Rubin was a huge blow, but certainly not for his defense over JJ's.  JJ is an All-CUSA Defensive 1st Team player.  Rubin's defense is not an upgrade over JJ's.  So, yes, it's hard to grasp that you're citing his defense as the reason.
Or, are you saying you'd rather take Tylor off the floor?

It's Rubin's offense we missed so dearly yesterday.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

That's what we thought against WKU in the conference tournament last year as well, and look how that turned out.  Mac shows confidence in his players.

I think we are being awfully nit-picky.  IMHO, that was one of the best played games, from both teams, this year.  A really enjoyable game to watch with both teams making runs, hustle plays, etc.  I hated we came up short, but I have a really tough time being critical after that game.

Hey, I know Perry has come through in the clutch with the tying/winning/putting out of reach shot like at least half a dozen times this season, so I don't necessarily have an issue with what we did.  Given the time and score though, I wish we'd had a different approach.  Maybe have Perry drive to the basket and hope to get fouled.  He is a 85% plus free throw shooter.

I will agree though, that was a great game.  Listening to the UVA broadcast was also interesting.  They especially couldn't get over Bell, "That guy is everywhere!"  

• Upvote 4