Virginia (3/20/22)

Big Z

46 minutes ago, WahooWa85 said:

Helluva game boys...very well coached squad yall have...wouldn't mind a home and home, but as someone said earlier...thisntypenof game is why P5s don't do it...yall had a really good squad though, impressed...

See, they don't want it and I get it to a degree. It's a lose-lose for them. They win: Of course, they are supposed to beat UNT. They lose: They got upset by a CUSA team. We don't have the name to be a good loss, and they have to protect their image. 

Hopefully the move to the AAC boosts our perception. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

There is some merit is what you say, but also more risks. What if they steal? What if you foul? What if you mishandle a pass? You want to have the last opportunity while leaving your opponent without one, the way to do that is to hold for the last shot. We were close (twice,) it just didn't fall for us. 

All of that can happen shooting a 3 as well. The OT situation was one thing but the end of regulation was odd... you call a timeout and what you set up is "dribble dribble dribble fade away 3?" Surely something better could have been drawn up. Seemed a little passive to me. I'd rather try drawing a foul going to the basket but I get your point about making sure you get the last shot too. Tough situation. Regardless, I'm proud to wear green today.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

All of that can happen shooting a 3 as well. The OT situation was one thing but the end of regulation was odd... you call a timeout and what you set up is "dribble dribble dribble fade away 3?" Surely something better could have been drawn up. Seemed a little passive to me. I'd rather try drawing a foul going to the basket but I get your point about making sure you get the last shot too. Tough situation. Regardless, I'm proud to wear green today.

He probably thought he could end it there in dramatic fashion. Love the heart and the gumption, but it wasn't smart.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I don't like the argument as to how it relates to fatigue either. This isn't an 82 game season with back-to-backs as you said. I do, however, think there is value in getting some deep bench guys a few minutes with other starters during. You see guys come in off the bench all the time and give a spark when main contributors are struggling. Illinois brought in 2 freshmen today to spark their comeback against Houston. Both of those freshmen averaged about 8 minutes per game in over 20 games this year. To me, it's about keeping guys game-ready in case you need to switch things up in the middle of a game. It just limits what you can do because you're locked into the skill sets who are game-ready.

I don't think the team was hurt by the limited rotation because we didn't suffer from injuries much. I'm not sure the team would have been hurt much by getting a guy like Stone 6-8 minutes per game. That experience could have come in handy today. It could have come in handy against LA Tech when we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. It comes in handy when you need to try something different on the fly.

and one of those freshman got screeeeeeeeeewed by the officials. looking it up, Melendez had started to play more late in the season...growing trust from the coaches...I don't know the circumstances around his expanding role.

look...I think it's an interesting talking point...just maybe not a valid criticism of Grant. Stone played an A+ game tonight...two key hustle plays and no mistakes anywhere. now, if he'd been if he'd been seeing 8 minutes a night consistently, does he step in and play 15 tonight and drop 8 instead of 2? maybe? but then even Scott's minutes were cut tonight and he's been trusted rotation. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

and one of those freshman got screeeeeeeeeewed by the officials. looking it up, Melendez had started to play more late in the season...growing trust from the coaches...I don't know the circumstances around his expanding role.

look...I think it's an interesting talking point...just maybe not a valid criticism of Grant. Stone played an A+ game tonight...two key hustle plays and no mistakes anywhere. now, if he'd been if he'd been seeing 8 minutes a night consistently, does he step in and play 15 tonight and drop 8 instead of 2? maybe? but then even Scott's minutes were cut tonight and he's been trusted rotation. 

Yeah it's hard to criticize Grant considering what he's done here. As fans, it's also natural to say "what if?" Scott is interesting. Hustle guy but man does he need to work on offense. I think that's where he loses minutes. We already have JJ who was an offensive liability. Tough to have 2 guys on the floor who don't produce on offense. He also had 3 fouls in the first half so there's that but with the loss of Bell, I think he'll get some of those minutes as a defensive presence and rebounder. He's got a bright future though. Guys like him can be game changers.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

That's why the best ball handler always has the ball in these scenarios, to try and minimize any of those other factors. In a way it's not about getting the best chance to win, but the best chance to not lose. If you make the bucket great, but if you don't you still have overtime. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mean Green Matt said:

This is really a question and not a criticism,  but why the hesitance to go to the basket in late game situations. Particularly at the end of regulation when it was tied, seems like the higher percentage play would have been to go right to the hoop. 

I’ll drop the niceties and criticize.  That last play of regulation was disappointing.  It’s one thing if we hadn’t closed out so many games already with last second threes by Perry.  Virginia knew that was coming and we should’ve tried something else. Period.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

we don't really have a slasher...especially with Rubin out tonight. 

as for posting up Abou or TB...in late game situations, especially from behind, you usually want a play that has a fixed time-rundown and known result(s)...like, you know a high screen roll and drive/pull-up will take 5 seconds...with a drive you known it's either a bucket, a foul or good defense...with a pull-up it's either a bucket, an offensive rebound or good defense

posting a player brings in more variables...there are usually multiple passes and off-ball movement just to create the right angle for entry, that takes time...depending on where the catch is, 15 feet takes more time usually than 10 feet...you bring in the possibility of doubling the post player, who usually isn't your best passer/decision maker. 

if this question is largely being asked because of TPs last shots...well, ya...dude had a big neon sign that read "HERO" in his mind. probably because that sign has been lit so many times this year. 

I think it's being asked on the end of regulation shot selection and play draw up. I'm just fine with the end of the game shot. I just thought we could have gotten something driving to the basket toward the end of regulation.

Great game - and lots of fun to watch. Wanted really badly for TP to be the hero again.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, CMJ said:

The toughest part of the loss is OU also lost, so we would've hosted the quarterfinal.

And most likely won and headed to MSG… One bucket away. Really wish we had taken it to the basket at the end of regulation. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

But in a game like this one you didn’t want to risk overtime.  We clawed back and tied the game, had them on their heels, and could have delivered the knock out blow.  

Against a team like UVA, you don’t let them have a chance to breathe.  

Yeah, I can definitely see how this case is different. Did we not have a time out to be able to talk it over? 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

I’ll drop the niceties and criticize.  That last play of regulation was disappointing.  It’s one thing if we hadn’t closed out so many games already with last second threes by Perry.  Virginia knew that was coming and we should’ve tried something else. Period.

sure. it also clearly wasn't what was drawn up given Grant and TP's interaction after the shot. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

When did Rubin get injured??  Pregame?  Days ago?

Not having him was 100% the difference between a win and our loss.

I thought it was weird that coach was benching Rubin for Tylor… then when Stone came in off the bench while Rubin stayed, I knew we were in trouble.

JJ played his a** off, and of course putting him on their primary ball handler on the defensive end is a plus for the Green.   But you gotta think if Rubin even has an average game (by his standards: 8ppg), VS 0pts in 41 minutes of play, the Mean Green advance.

Just a really crappy way for the ride to end, but boy was that a fun ride!

Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

sure. it also clearly wasn't what was drawn up given Grant and TP's interaction after the shot. 

Yep.  You get the feeling it wasn’t what was drawn up in several other games, but it’s what we got.  Grant has quite the coaching job this offseason.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

we were being respectful.

5 second half dimes that triggered the comeback. 

take it back. take it back now. 

I may have selective memory (my wife says I do so whatever) but I don't remember JJ being this productive on offense in a while. Nice to see him make some plays today.

I think you know what I mean though.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, MeanMag said:

I think it's being asked on the end of regulation shot selection and play draw up. I'm just fine with the end of the game shot. I just thought we could have gotten something driving to the basket toward the end of regulation.

Great game - and lots of fun to watch. Wanted really badly for TP to be the hero again.

I think the thing that killed us was TB3's attempt from the three-point line there in the closing minute.  He was open and had a good look, but that's just not his game.  I'm sure he was confident and wanted to be a leader there...but in that situation, you play to your strengths as a team.  TB was 22 of 76 from beyond the arc this season (29%)...I don't think you want an 81% failure shot with the game on the line.

3 minutes ago, 2020 Sucks said:

I think the thing that killed us was TB3's attempt from the three-point line there in the closing minute.  He was open and had a good look, but that's just not his game.  I'm sure he was confident and wanted to be a leader there...but in that situation, you play to your strengths as a team.  TB was 22 of 76 from beyond the arc this season (29%)...I don't think you want an 81% failure shot with the game on the line.

really you're criticizing a player SMDH!!

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1