Virginia (3/20/22)

Big Z

2 minutes ago, CMJ said:

What a season.  Last year is our historic best team ever given the NCAA tournament win, but this squad is actually probably the best team we've ever had.  At least in the last 50+ years.

Best team for sure. Last year’s team had some better individual performances down the stretch

3 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I said about a month ago that one day Perry would miss a game winning shot and we'd all be surprised when it happens because he always comes through.  I really thought we were somehow gonna pull this out in both regulation and OT when Perry had that shot.

What a season.  Last year is our historic best team ever given the NCAA tournament win, but this squad is actually probably the best team we've ever had.  At least in the last 50+ years.

I was thinking we would have gotten Drez the ball at some point. He was shooting lights out. 

• Upvote 2

So much heart on this team. Never gave up, never backed down. To take a team like Virginia down to the wire with the top level talent they can recruit really shows how our guys are legit. They can do it, we just needed a few breaks to go our way, hopefully that comes with experience. Great season Mean Green, so proud of you. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Wonder if Jones had played if we pulled it off. His defensive pressure alone certainly would have helped. 

My belief, if Jones had played; NT would have won easily.  Jones value is on the defensive side, plays against the other team's best offensive guard.   

Playing so few players throughout the year caught up with McCasland again.  An OT game with only 6 experienced players and one of those in foul trouble most of the game.  Even with the other team having two fouled out, NT just didn't have the manpower to pull this one out.

Great season for a team that just will not quit.  Hope everyone returns that can and NT should be even better next year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Andrew said:

With so much time I was wondering why the long pass. Was surprised we got possession and got a decent look up. 

Without a T/O, the team looked confused.  They appeared to not be sure how they were going to execute the last possession.   I think it was a Freshman with the in bounds pass too.  Not blaming him, since he just had to throw into what the others set up. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GrandGreen said:

My belief, if Jones had played; NT would have won easily.  Jones value is on the defensive side, plays against the other team's best offensive guard.   

Playing so few players throughout the year caught up with McCasland again.  An OT game with only 6 experienced players and one of those in foul trouble most of the game.  Even with the other team having two fouled out, NT just didn't have the manpower to pull this one out.

Great season for a team that just will not quit.  Hope everyone returns that can and NT should be even better next year. 

Let's not ignore the fact that Franklin changed the game with 3 back to back 3s. He got hot at the right time and really pulled it out for them. Even with the limited rotation our players were doing really well.

17 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

Best team for sure. Last year’s team had some better individual performances down the stretch

I think it was the latest Fields podcast where Brune suggested last year's version had better tournament players.  This year's team might be better overall, but lacked the postseason playmaking that we had last year from Hamlet and Drez.

Drez showed signs of it this year, but wasn't nearly as consistent.

EDIT: it might have been on a Texas 24 pod

Edited by greenminer

1 minute ago, Green Otaku said:

Let's not ignore the fact that Franklin changed the game with 3 back to back 3s. He got hot at the right time and really pulled it out for them. Even with the limited rotation our players were doing really well.

That this team fought back while he was doing this is just more to be impressed with.  I LOVE this team and hate that they weren't able to get the W.  They deserved it.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I said about a month ago that one day Perry would miss a game winning shot and we'd all be surprised when it happens because he always comes through.  I really thought we were somehow gonna pull this out in both regulation and OT when Perry had that shot.

Neither one was a good look unfortunately.  

2 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Drez has the option of coming back right? 

We lose Bell, Simmons, Wright, JJ. Am I missing someone? 

I hope March-Drez comes back for one more run. Yes, that is the list of graduates. We need the coaches to push Scott, Stone and Morgan this off season. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

2 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Drez has the option of coming back right? 

We lose Bell, Simmons, Wright, JJ. Am I missing someone? 

I think that's it. I was just thinking about that too. Next year can be really special if Drez comes back and Abou keeps progressing. Throw in Rubin who I think can be the main ball handler, Perry on the bench, the energizer Scott, and Stone who I believe looked good today and man, next year can be even better! Get a backup big and it can be even more special.

• Upvote 5