Virginia (3/20/22)

Big Z

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Easier for many to watch at least.

Every game but two were on ESPN plus today. It’s a great service most people have bundled with their tv service (Hulu). 

Trust me when I say most people do not have Hulu bundled with their TV service.  Many people, sure.  

Edited by CMJ

8 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Trust me when I say most people do not have Hulu bundled with their TV service.  Many people, sure.  

Fair enough. Many people. ESPN plus is up and running in most athletic departments though. Coaches offices. Etc… it’s an easy and cheap service to use that shows a lot of schools and sports you cannot get anywhere else. Easy to follow graduates who go to smaller universities for sure. 

10 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Disney pushes it pretty hard as a bundle (Disney+, HULU, ESPN+).  Not sure how that offer is doing though.

I think my Hulu sub is tied to my Spotify sub, and my ESPN+ is tied to Disney+ sub.  I did some math a bit back to see if I could save money by switching to the trio offered by ESPN+, but couldn't find reason to switch.

I've heard Disney wants ESPN+ to be the Netflix of sports streaming.  I don't know what that means if they're still gonna dump the major stuff onto ESPN and ESPN2.

It may be cheap, but I've never had luck with any of ESPN's streaming products going all the way back to ESPN360.  This goes over multiple computers and residences.  Perhaps the servers in LA are lousy, I don't know.  I quit trying to stream ESPN some time ago.

8 minutes ago, CMJ said:

It may be cheap, but I've never had luck with any of ESPN's streaming products going all the way back to ESPN360.  This goes over multiple computers and residences.  Perhaps the servers in LA are lousy, I don't know.  I quit trying to stream ESPN some time ago.

Disney spent over a billion dollars to acquire a streaming service to use for ESPN+. Not the same as previous ESPN streaming services.

• Upvote 4

I mean ESPN+ started like 4 years ago.  I tried to get it to work briefly, but much like earlier ESPN online editions it was rife with skipping issues and whatnot.  Wasn't gonna keep wasting the money on that frustration.

Edited by CMJ
  • Eye Roll 1

7 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I mean ESPN+ started like 4 years ago.  I tried to get it to work briefly, but much like earlier ESPN online editions it was rife with skipping issues and whatnot.  Wasn't gonna keep wasting the money on that frustration.

It works well now.  And let’s face it, attendance has been damaged by it.  For 6 bucks a month you can basically watch every college game in the country!  I laugh 😂 when I see some of our fans bemoan attendance when arenas at Baylor, OU, Texas etc are much emptier than they have ever been in the past.  ESPN + = lower attendance.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3

1 hour ago, Gulf Coast Hoo said:

UVa fan checking in…very interested in the matchup Sunday evening.

I’m sure the media talking heads will beat the “slow pace”, and “first team to 50” storyline to death, so I’ll stay away from that one and just break down our team.

It’s been a up and down season for us.  A lot of new pieces, but not many fans are thrilled with the NIT 3 years removed from a national title.  That said, still an opportunity to get some tournament experience and play some teams we don’t normally see.  Season highlights were winning at Duke, beating Providence and sweeping Miami.  Lowlights were losing to Navy & JMU, and getting smacked twice by UNC who we usually handle.

We’ve got 7 guys in our regular rotation, and all have the ability to hit double figures on a given night, but rarely is it clicking for everyone on the same night.

Backcourt is a 3 guard starting lineup of Reece Beekman, Kihei Clark (who made “the pass” against Purdue in the Elite Eight) and Armaan Franklin.  Beekman is a soph, but likely has an NBA future.  He’s quick, doesn’t turn it over, is an elite defender, and a good enough shooter to keep the defense honest…I wish he looked to score more.  Clark can look all-world one sequence, and commit a bad TO and take a bad shot the next 3 sequences.  He’s a pest of defense, but not Beekman level.  Overall his positives tend to outweigh his negatives, but he’s hot-and-cold.  Same with Franklin…if he makes his first couple of shots, look out…if he misses them, it could easily end up being a 1-10 night.

Our most consistent frontline player is Jayden Gardner.  He’s undersized at 6’6 but is capable of scoring 25+ and is deadly in the midrange…he’s not a threat from 3.  We’ve got a couple of bigs in 6’11 Kadin Shedrick and 7’0 Francisco Caffaro.  They rarely play at the same time, but usually split the minutes at the 5.  Shedrick has higher upside, but is more finesse and the better shot blocker.  Caffaro is a bull, but not real polished.  Our last reserve is Kody Stattman…6’8 wing but not especially athletic.  He can hit the 3 if you leave him open, but won’t be a dagger guy…most fans would prefer Bennett gives his minutes to one of our freshmen (Murray or Milicic), but Bennett has stuck with the senior.

If you have any questions, fire away.  Good luck on Sunday!

Thanks for visiting.  I've watched you guys play a few times this year, but this is a great primer on you all.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gulf Coast Hoo said:

I’m sure the media talking heads will beat the “slow pace”, and “first team to 50” storyline to death, so I’ll stay away from that one and just break down our team.

It’s been a up and down season for us.  A lot of new pieces, but not many fans are thrilled with the NIT 3 years removed from a national title.  That said, still an opportunity to get some tournament experience and play some teams we don’t normally see.  Season highlights were winning at Duke, beating Providence and sweeping Miami.  Lowlights were losing to Navy & JMU, and getting smacked twice by UNC who we usually handle.

We’ve got 7 guys in our regular rotation, and all have the ability to hit double figures on a given night, but rarely is it clicking for everyone on the same night.

Backcourt is a 3 guard starting lineup of Reece Beekman, Kihei Clark (who made “the pass” against Purdue in the Elite Eight) and Armaan Franklin.  Beekman is a soph, but likely has an NBA future.  He’s quick, doesn’t turn it over, is an elite defender, and a good enough shooter to keep the defense honest…I wish he looked to score more.  Clark can look all-world one sequence, and commit a bad TO and take a bad shot the next 3 sequences.  He’s a pest of defense, but not Beekman level.  Overall his positives tend to outweigh his negatives, but he’s hot-and-cold.  Same with Franklin…if he makes his first couple of shots, look out…if he misses them, it could easily end up being a 1-10 night.

Our most consistent frontline player is Jayden Gardner.  He’s undersized at 6’6 but is capable of scoring 25+ and is deadly in the midrange…he’s not a threat from 3.  We’ve got a couple of bigs in 6’11 Kadin Shedrick and 7’0 Francisco Caffaro.  They rarely play at the same time, but usually split the minutes at the 5.  Shedrick has higher upside, but is more finesse and the better shot blocker.  Caffaro is a bull, but not real polished.  Our last reserve is Kody Stattman…6’8 wing but not especially athletic.  He can hit the 3 if you leave him open, but won’t be a dagger guy…most fans would prefer Bennett gives his minutes to one of our freshmen (Murray or Milicic), but Bennett has stuck with the senior.

Great summary GC Hoo.  Welcome!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Andrew said:

Easier for many to watch at least.

Every game but two were on ESPN plus today. It’s a great service most people have bundled with their tv service (Hulu). 

Except when it is in perpetual buffering mode.

There has to be a network that would carry these on live television as well.  Let CBS, TruTV, TBS, etc. have the NCAA's and put the NIT on Fox Sports, ABC, NBC, ESPN, etc...

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

huh. I always thought it dated back to Thomas Jefferson (given UVA's history).

Jefferson was known to say "wahoo" every time Martha didn't catch him, pants unzipped, walking back from Sally's quarters. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 6

10 hours ago, CMJ said:

If I have to sign in to my account one more time I'm gonna throw my TV out the window. 

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I've had great luck with espn + on my roku but haven't tried directly through the TV app. I've had better luck with Roku instead of TV app with every streaming service I use. Phone, not as good, but still ok. I've always attributed that to slow interest speeds where I am as it's usually fine if I need to watch on my phone at home. In terms of cost, at $6.99 per month I find it hard to beat. Cancel during the off season if you don't want to pay for it year-round and just reactivate it when the season is around the corner.

As for the Virginia newcomers and timid lurkers, welcome!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

huh. I always thought it dated back to Thomas Jefferson (given UVA's history).

Jefferson was known to say "wahoo" every time Martha didn't catch him, pants unzipped, walking back from Sally's quarters. 

Funny, though Martha was likely dead before Hemings became his concubine.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gulf Coast Hoo said:

Spider-Man Reaction GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1