Non-Conference basketball games I like to see

dml7007

SFA (always close to a tournament team)

texas Southern.  Love to play JJ every year 

Texas State

TAM-CC

UTA ( a home game even if not)

Most of these are consistently good teams.  Need others to push us up rankings but these are ones we should win but also would be good game.   

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

7 minutes ago, dml7007 said:

SFA (always close to a tournament team)

texas Southern.  Love to play JJ every year 

Texas State

TAM-CC

UTA ( a home game even if not)

Most of these are consistently good teams.  Need others to push us up rankings but these are ones we should win but also would be good game.   

Would prefer more games against mid/lower level power conference teams. We need as many quad 1 ones as possible. Those all might be compelling games locally, but unfortunately its about resume building 

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Why road games?

Because if it comes down to being on the bubble again the committee would place a high value on beating a top 25 team on the road. Strength of schedule is so important for mid-majors, and getting those kind of marquee wins most likely won't come from the C-USA unfortunately. 

I'd like to keep WKU on the schedule after we leave CUSA.  Try and add an A10 and/or MWC team on the schedule every year...either the same one or mix it up.  Need to play some winnable quality basketball teams in the OOC.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, diehardUNTfan said:

Because if it comes down to being on the bubble again the committee would place a high value on beating a top 25 team on the road. Strength of schedule is so important for mid-majors, and getting those kind of marquee wins most likely won't come from the C-USA unfortunately. 

Yep, but we should be scheduling home and home series.

4 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

Would prefer more games against mid/lower level power conference teams. We need as many quad 1 ones as possible. Those all might be compelling games locally, but unfortunately its about resume building 

TAMU-CC

TSU

Both NCAA tournament teams this year.

SFA, as mentioned, is usually strong.

TSU-SM has a good program.

I get what you are saying, but I would rather have the above than LSU-Shreveport, Panhandle St. , etc...

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, CMJ said:

I'd like to keep WKU on the schedule after we leave CUSA.  Try and add an A10 and/or team on the schedule every year...either the same one or mix it up.  Need to play some winnable quality basketball teams in the OOC.

I don't have a problem with playing those type of mid-majors especially very early on (in fact I would love that) but I feel that with the recent success of UNT basketball that they should at least travel to play some good P5s. Although maybe we are good enough now to where schools like Tech, Houston, TX, etc would view scheduling us as risky and would rather play mostly throw away games. I go to Tech now and our home NC schedule was abysmal. 

24 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

TAMU-CC

TSU

I get what you are saying, but I would rather have the above than LSU-Shreveport, Panhandle St. , etc...

Definitely agree that they’re good teams. I fear that the committee prefers wins over a 7th place power conference team over a win against a mid-major AQ team. 

Edited by meangreenlax

November:
v. Texas Southern
v. Texas State
v. SFA
- 3 game tourney like this year...1 Top 25 team, 1 mid-tier power conference foe, 1 solid mid-major program - 
v. TAMU CC

December
@ Houston
@ Western Kentucky
@ Murray State
v. Utah State
v. Wichita State
v. Oral Roberts
v. UTA

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

TAMU-CC

TSU

Those are only NCAA teams because they won their tournament. Look at Texas Southerns NET - they are the lowest ranked team in the tournament.

It's teams like that that keep at large hopeful teams like us out.

I'd like to not play Texas Southern. I like JJ, but there's no good that comes from playing them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1