Perry responds to disgruntled UNT fan

26 minutes ago, Andrew said:

To be fair he did look injured tonight, but hoping he is ok and 100% for the next game. 

I think something may have been bothering him. I have never before noticed him resort to the stationary bike during the game. I'm not pretending that I really know the bike's benefits. Is it just to warm up, or does it alleviate cramping. I don't know, mine at home is only used for hanging shirts. (if that's not obvious enough)

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ADLER said:

I think something may have been bothering him. I have never before noticed him resort to the stationary bike during the game. I'm not pretending that I really know the bike's benefits. Is it just to warm up, or does it alleviate cramping. I don't know, mine at home is only used for hanging shirts. (if that's not obvious enough)

He did take that hard spill early in the 1st (yet another blown foul call by the refs) that brought him up limping.  Went to the lockerroom for a bit, then came back out.   Might have just taken a little time to adjust to whatever happened to him there.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Perry seemed to have that ankle tweak and a nose injury toward the end of the game on a rebound.

But in response to the tweet stuff, I find it funny. I try not to say much about the players because 1 it’s weird 2 they are much better than I’ll ever be so I don’t have much room to talk.

Talking stats and stuff is great, but being too critical will get you slammed by players! Hahaha

This is why you should try to know what you are talking about if you are going to say something. 

I thought the tweet was a good one, because Perry was getting roasted on defense, and at that point was 0-5 with four fouls and a turnover. Not exactly his best self. 

If it takes him roasted every single one of you for your tweets to win the NIT, then you better get a-tweetin'

• Upvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 1

I think it is silly for Tylor to read social after the game. Again, I don't think the tweet was a bad one. 

If you are thinking "shouldn't criticize the players" or whatever, fine. The tweet was criticizing the coach. It's a decent question to ask--  Tylor Perry was struggling compared to his previous performances and we are paying for the coach to make decisions and things so.... "why is Perry playing at this point?" is a question and criticism of Mac. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I was screaming for him to shoot, while my wife (non-UNT) kept saying he’s making good passes and distributing…doing a good job.  She was right.  He was passive, but TxSt was double and triple teaming him.  Their game plan was very obviously fixated on not letting him shoot and making others score.  It just about worked.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

I was screaming for him to shoot, while my wife (non-UNT) kept saying he’s making good passes and distributing…doing a good job.  She was right.  He was passive, but TxSt was double and triple teaming him.  Their game plan was very obviously fixated on not letting him shoot and making others score.  It just about worked.

I agree and I agree.  I thought he was too passive early working the shot clock.  Sometimes he needs to let it go when open and in the flow of the offense.

TSU-SM was focused on not letting him beat them...then he did.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

I think it is silly for Tylor to read social after the game. Again, I don't think the tweet was a bad one. 

If you are thinking "shouldn't criticize the players" or whatever, fine. The tweet was criticizing the coach. It's a decent question to ask--  Tylor Perry was struggling compared to his previous performances and we are paying for the coach to make decisions and things so.... "why is Perry playing at this point?" is a question and criticism of Mac. 

Not to beat the dead horse but this is where our small rotation hurts us most. It's easy to say "take him out" but who do you replace him with? We only have 7 game- ready players because nobody else got significant minutes all season. When we need a spark, there's not a single person other than the main 7 who would be up to game speed at this point in the season because others haven't been playing. Shoot, we have a true freshman SG who was ranked 50th in guards in the nation by Rivals who had offers from Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Belmont, Tulsa, and OK State who can barely sniff playing time save for garbage time in a blowout. Either all those programs improperly evaluated him or Grant missed an opportunity to get a promising young man minutes as a true freshman.

We're lucky we haven't played any double OT games this year.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, GMGfor3 said:

if you're questioning the staff as to why Tylor was still in the game despite struggling, then again, i question your basketball IQ... 

lol get out of here

I think people were concerned he was injured. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3

6 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Not to beat the dead horse but this is where our small rotation hurts us most. It's easy to say "take him out" but who do you replace him with? We only have 7 game- ready players because nobody else got significant minutes all season. When we need a spark, there's not a single person other than the main 7 who would be up to game speed at this point in the season because they haven't been playing. Shoot, we have a true freshman SG who was ranked 50th in guards in the nation by Rivals who had offers from Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Belmont, Tulsa, and OK State who can barely sniff playing time save for garbage time in a blowout. Either all those programs improperly evaluated him or Grant missed an opportunity to get a promising young man minutes as a true freshman.

We're lucky we haven't played any double OT games this year.

I really would like to hear Macs reasoning as to why he never played Stone or Wright. The longer they sit the less ready they are when fouls or injuries occur. 

He played Jamiah over both even though he had been injured for a long time and was undersized at his position. Very baffling as to how Jamiah was an 8th guy who was an “answer” in the post but Wright wasn’t. Perry and Murray struggle and we don’t use Stone? Why? He will not get any better sitting on the bench. 

Biggest surprise to me is Chris M. Is sitting on the bench all season as a redshirt. He could contribute but we chose to red shirt him. Then had no answer in the post. Lots of confusing decisions. These are legit questions from a true fan. Everyone should be wondering the same.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

the man has been the closer all year, even in the games where the shot making wasn't there (LaTech at home). Best shot creator on the roster by a mile, creates for others, has showcased the ability to hit big time shots, yet the fanbase has the audacity to question the staff as to why our best player still plays in a Tourney game. smh

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

But in response to the tweet stuff, I find it funny. I try not to say much about the players because 1 it’s weird 2 they are much better than I’ll ever be so I don’t have much room to talk.

Except for players on the home sideline at Apogee, you didn’t seem to have a problem talking trash to them.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, GMGfor3 said:

the man has been the closer all year, even in the games where the shot making wasn't there (LaTech at home). Best shot creator on the roster by a mile, creates for others, has showcased the ability to hit big time shots, yet the fanbase has the audacity to question the staff as to why our best player still plays in a Tourney game. smh

Mac pulls players for missing a single assignment in defense. It’s fair enough to ask why he is in there when he seemed Injured and was struggling. It’s a fair question. 

Tylor absolutely our closer and has made huge shot after huge shot. Nobody is questioning his ability or his loyalty to the team. Excited to see him play for two more seasons. 

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

19 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I really would like to hear Mavs reasoning as to why he never played Stone or Wright. The longer they sit the less ready they are when fouls or injuries occur. 

He played Jamiah over both even though he had been injured for a long time and was undersized at his position. Very baffling as to how Jamiah was an 8th guy who was an “answer” in the post but Wright wasn’t. Perry and Murray struggle and we don’t use Stone? Why? He will not get any better sitting on the bench. 

Biggest surprise to me is Chris M. Is sitting on the bench all season as a redshirt. He could contribute but we chose to red shirt him. Then had no answer in the post. Lots of confusing decisions. These are legit questions from a true fan. Everyone should be wondering the same.

Wright is a big, athletic guy who we could use every now and then but he seemed a little over the place when he got in. I don't know if it was rust or what.

Chris M is another guy who was a good recruiting win. He has size and comes from a winning HS program.

Stone only lost 4 HS games in 4 years of playing varsity. I don't know if his game would translate but some guys are just winners. I could only find detailed freshman and sophomore stats on him but in those 2 seasons, he shot around 38% from 3. Looks like junior year he averaged 17ppg and 10 boards per game. Doubt he'll rebound like that in college but again, some guys just find ways to win (see Fine).

Next year will tell us if the staff can develop talent (see Ousmane) or if they're going to depend on game ready JUCO transfers to be successful. I hope we see more Ousmane type development instead of going heavy on JUCOs.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, GMGfor3 said:

I don't think anybody is saying bench him forever. Just have him take a quick seat to get his nerves under control. The problem is there's nobody ready to contribute other than him. This team goes where he goes.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1