Florida interested in McCasland

Coach Mike White’s sudden departure for Georgia leaves Florida searching for another coach in a high-profile program during the span of several months.

Athletic director Scott Stricklin opted for a rising star from outside the Power 5 to hire Billy Napier from Louisiana to replace Dan Mullen in football. The same approach seven years earlier by Jeremy Foley produced respectable, not earth-shattering, results under White, who left Louisiana Tech for Gainesville.

His Gators reached four straight NCAA Tournaments before missing out Sunday, yet never seriously contended for an SEC title. Under White, UF was 142-88 but also 17-20 in March.

The 45-year-old’s exit with five years remaining on his contract gives the program the chance for a reset.

— McCasland is 178–81 in eight seasons as a head coach, including five at North Texas. The 45-year-old is a former point guard at Baylor who has four 20-win seasons at North Texas and coached the Mean Green past Purdue as a No. 13 seed during the 2021 NCAA Tournament.

read more:  https://www.normantranscript.com/region/uf-ad-scott-stricklin-could-go-many-directions-replacing-mike-white-as-gators-coach/article_7b406b4d-bdd2-52b8-b9e8-b87a9a8f38d4.html

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 7
  • Downvote 1

Just now, greenminer said:

I'm blocking anyone who starts these "XYZ program is interested in Mac" threads.  I've wrangled my mind around all the reasons you might feel compelled to post these, and none of them are good enough to follow through on.

Will anyone else join me in this quest?

So we are just going to ignore the opening at Illinois Wesleyan? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

Tom, i lost all respect for you when you stopped questioning this team's ability to be fall into a trap...

The McCracks were clearly there for anyone who knew where to look 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Bump him to $1.2m and improve some of the facilities. I’m sure he is excited about the AAC and being able to stay in the Denton area!

Improve some of the facilities to keep our very successful coach OR we can start baseball and show him we're more committed to starting new programs than helping him continue the program's ascension. Tough choice.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 3

12 hours ago, greenminer said:

I'm blocking anyone who starts these "XYZ program is interested in Mac" threads.  I've wrangled my mind around all the reasons you might feel compelled to post these, and none of them are good enough to follow through on.

Will anyone else join me in this quest?

While I am not willing to block people because of it, this off season is going to be really annoying in that regard.    The only homework these reporters are doing is to look at the most recently successful mid-major coaches and throwing them in the mix for every open P5 position.

Not every "winning" coaches style is going to fit every opening.    I could see Grants defensive approach not really appealing to a lot of P5 players with overinflated egos.     These top guys were recruited because of their scoring ability.    A lot of the top players simply don't want to put an emphasis on playing strong defense IMO.   

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Blank check 

NTSN: “This is the best cashier I’ve seen, you should pay them $100k per year so they don’t go cashier across the street.”

Owner/manager: “You make a good point, your total for that cup of coffee is $79,206.43 and thanks for the suggestion, I’ll get right on that.”

155c1182-75ad-4413-b657-c4e128199f78_tex

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I’d say 70 or so

They all look sort of the same too

Seriously though. I know he had a ton of family here, which is why I feel like we've got a pretty good advantage. 

• Upvote 2