Who would be your dream NIT opponent?

meangreen11

7 minutes ago, meangreen11 said:

For me either OU and a chance to play against Mo or Texas A&M.  Would be fun to play a game at Aggie land.

We'd play A&M in New York.

My dream would be not having to leave Denton before the Big Apple, so OU goes down to Colorado and then we have 9K or so to see us in the quarterfinal.

What happens in NY...honestly if we make it that far I'd be thrilled playing whoever comes out of that part of the draw.

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

How awesome would a UNT VS SMU Final in MSG be??   

2 G5 schools that are less than 50 miles away from each other in Texas going to play on arguably the World's biggest basketball stage for a championship!

I was actually hoping we would be in the SMU region and play them in Dallas. That would be epic. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Basically.  Really, the dream matchup is Texas State since they're tomorrow.  We need to win that game so we can have the ability to bring Virginia or MSU here.  That would be really big for us.

Well we should be taken care of in terms of home games if we can just win.  Wren sits on the selection committee I believe.

17 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

2 G5 schools that are less than 50 miles away from each other in Texas going to play on arguably the World's biggest basketball stage for a championship!

Had this exact thought this morning. Talk about DFW basketball exposure. I'm rooting for our future AAC mates these next 2 postseasons.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, meangreen11 said:

Well we should be taken care of in terms of home games if we can just win.  Wren sits on the selection committee I believe.

Better seeds automatically host unless there is a previous commitment with the venue.  That's why Dayton has to go on the road in the 1st round, because Dayton always hosts the First Four.  Seems like every year there's always one or two games where the "home" team can't host.

Also worth noting for the NIT for those of you who may never have watched it before, the NCAA often experiments with rule changes.  The first time a 30 second shot clock was used for the men's game was in the NIT.  They tried 4 quarters instead of halves before, longer 3 point lines, and stuff like that.

So it may not exactly the same sport we're used to watching.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

waking up omg GIF by NBC
And then we woke up and realized this probably won’t happen lol

I really want an SMU/UNT matchup, but it’s gonna take a lot to get there. 3 point shooting, free throws and limited fouls will determine if we can make it to NYC

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

waking up omg GIF by NBC
And then we woke up and realized this probably won’t happen lol

I really want an SMU/UNT matchup, but it’s gonna take a lot to get there. 3 point shooting, free throws and limited fouls will determine if we can make it to NYC

We shot as poorly as I've seen us shoot all year VS LATech, and our defense still kept us in it.   Unless defense gets picked apart by any of these teams, we'll be in all of these games.  And surely our offense won't be as atrocious as it was VS LATech or 1st half UTEP, so we should have opportunities to win.
The only game I'd really worry about before MSG is Virignia since they're equally-defensive-minded.   But at least we'd get them at home.

• Upvote 1