Texas State (3/15/22)

CMJ

11 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Yes, they took it over as part of a legal settlement about 15 years ago.

There goes the NIT.

Just a great game.  Drez and Rubin carried us all night.  I like how we work for a good shot, but waiting until the last few seconds results in rushed shots many times.  I think that hurts Perry the most.  He passes up open shots early in possessions sometimes and forces shots late because he has to, instead of shooting in rhythm.  I love the kid, but I think Mac needs to tell him to let it go when he has the shot.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

There goes the NIT.

I mean, the NIT is probably in better shape now than right before the NCAA took it over.  The last few years it was still being run by the Metropolitan Intercollegiate Basketball Association, it was looking pretty dire.  That's why they (the MIBA) sued in the first place.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 2

Virginia: early losses to Navy (58-66), Houston (47-67), James Madison (49-52) but they did beat Duke by one and Miami twice, by fifteen and then by three.  It would be a defensive slugfest.

Looks like they play a seven man rotation with a couple bigs (6'11" and 7'1") clogging the middle.

MS St.: losses to Louisville, Minnesota, CO St. in OCC.  Struggled to a 1-9 record on the road.

They play a deeper rotation with 9 players averaging over 13 minutes a game.  Overall, a bigger team than VA.

Either game isn't going to be easy.  Thankfully, we play at home.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I mean, the NIT is probably in better shape now than right before the NCAA took it over.  The last few years it was still being run by the Metropolitan Intercollegiate Basketball Association, it was looking pretty dire.  That's why they (the MIBA) sued in the first place.

Has the NCAA ever considered making it 64 teams like the women’s NIT?  

Enjoying having 4 conference teams in the WNIT. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

40 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Has the NCAA ever considered making it 64 teams like the women’s NIT?  

Enjoying having 4 conference teams in the WNIT. 

I believe right before the NCAA took over the NIT field was 40.  That's as large as it has ever been.

3 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I believe right before the NCAA took over the NIT field was 40.  That's as large as it has ever been.

Ok, would love to see it expand to 64 and dump the silly CBI, CIT or whatever they are calling them now. 

Easier to focus on the two main tournaments and I think it would make the NIT even more competitive. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Ok, would love to see it expand to 64 and dump the silly CBI, CIT or whatever they are calling them now. 

Easier to focus on the two main tournaments and I think it would make the NIT even more competitive. 

They have no control over the CBI or CIT.  If they expanded the NIT to 64, those tournaments could continue to go on.  There are more than 128 schools with winning records.  Hell, both tournaments invite schools with losing records (like us).  

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, CMJ said:

They have no control over the CBI or CIT.  If they expanded the NIT to 64, those tournaments could continue to go on.  There are more than 128 schools with winning records.  Hell, both tournaments invite schools with losing records (like us).  

Yeah I just wish CBI and CIT would go away. At some point it’s too much and I rather have those teams or better ones carry over into the NIT. That’s just me maybe. If your team isn’t in the CIT or CBI there is no interest. At least NIT has national interest still. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Yeah I just wish CBI and CIT would go away. At some point it’s too much and I rather have those teams or better ones carry over into the NIT. That’s just me maybe. If your team isn’t in the CIT or CBI there is no interest. At least NIT has national interest still. 

This is the bowl-game discussion all over. I am down to watch more college basketball but if the players and administration and all the associated people do not think there is value there ... then so be it. 

NT has benefited (CBI champs!) and there certainly is some use in extra practice, but it certainly isn't for everyone. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, aztecskin said:

This is the bowl-game discussion all over. I am down to watch more college basketball but if the players and administration and all the associated people do not think there is value there ... then so be it. 

NT has benefited (CBI champs!) and there certainly is some use in extra practice, but it certainly isn't for everyone. 

I would cut bowl games too. Every sport is over saturating the market with games. NBA allowing 20/30 teams in now with the play in games is a joke. Football and baseball also increasing teams in the playoffs. It’s getting too much.

My only reasoning behind the NIT going to 64 teams is there are already that many or more playing between the three other tourneys. At least being them all together. Make the big dance 64 teams again as well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

I would cut bowl games too. Every sport is over saturating the market with games. NBA allowing 20/30 teams in now with the play in games is a joke. Football and baseball also increasing teams in the playoffs. It’s getting too much.

My only reasoning behind the NIT going to 64 teams is there are already that many or more playing between the three other tourneys. At least being them all together. Make the big dance 64 teams again as well. 

If teams want to play in the other tourneys who cares? They are only quasi merit based. But once again, just like the meaningless bowl games, no one is pretending they are something other than what they are. They are more easily ignored than complained about. 

• Upvote 2