Texas State (3/15/22)

CMJ

46 minutes ago, 2020 Sucks said:

Every second saved in the womens game with this innovation is lost and doubled by the time out to advance the ball to the 28’ line in any game that is not a blowout.  

The NBA did it first.

Season 2 Shrug GIF by The Office

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

I don't think setting the shot clock at 24 would limit offensive styles as much as you think nor would it turn the NCAA into the NBA played by college kids... the NBA does what they do because the talent level of their biggest stars allow them to get away with lazy coaching.

When Curry was at Davidson, their offense was to get him the ball and let him dominate. He was a cheat code. He would throw up bad shots 15 seconds into the shot clock and hit them because he could. If Grant had him, he'd probably run the same "offense." Nothing to do with the shot clock, has to do with talent level available. I don't see how the team wasting an extra 6 seconds changes offensive philosophy. Just changes the pace a little. UNT isn't spending an extra 6 seconds setting their offense.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I love that they don't.  I always felt like it was cheating when watching the NBA.  Not sure some of you guys actually enjoy college basketball - you just want the NBA played by college kids.

I’m ok with pieces of it. Either pick 4 quarters or a 24 second shot clock. 
-Definitely move the ball to mid court after time out. 

Keep the rest. 5 fouls, number of time outs, the 1-1 free throws. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

57 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I don't think setting the shot clock at 24 would limit offensive styles as much as you think nor would it turn the NCAA into the NBA played by college kids... the NBA does what they do because the talent level of their biggest stars allow them to get away with lazy coaching.

When Curry was at Davidson, their offense was to get him the ball and let him dominate. He was a cheat code. He would throw up bad shots 15 seconds into the shot clock and hit them because he could. If Grant had him, he'd probably run the same "offense." Nothing to do with the shot clock, has to do with talent level available. I don't see how the team wasting an extra 6 seconds changes offensive philosophy. Just changes the pace a little. UNT isn't spending an extra 6 seconds setting their offense.

I think you're somewhat underestimating Jason Richards's influence on that Davidson run.  He was a great distributor.  Curry was amazing, but he wasn't a total one man show.

10 hours ago, CMJ said:

I think you're somewhat underestimating Jason Richards's influence on that Davidson run.  He was a great distributor.  Curry was amazing, but he wasn't a total one man show.

You're probably right. I'd be interested in seeing college with a 24 second clock this week to compare. I really feel like the talent level is what makes the NBA offenses run the way they do. Call it lazy coaching but there's just no reason to keep the ball out of the hands of guys like LeBron, Luka, Curry, Durant, Harden when they're performing at such a high level. You don't have developed talents like that in the NCAA. Coaches would still have to run varying offenses, just set them a bit faster.

I definitely want to keep the 5 fouls, not being able to move the ball after a TO (see Davidson's play yesterday), 1-1 free throws, 2 halves, etc....

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

You're probably right. I'd be interested in seeing college with a 24 second clock this week to compare. I really feel like the talent level is what makes the NBA offenses run the way they do. Call it lazy coaching but there's just no reason to keep the ball out of the hands of guys like LeBron, Luka, Curry, Durant, Harden when they're performing at such a high level. You don't have developed talents like that in the NCAA. Coaches would still have to run varying offenses, just set them a bit faster.

I definitely want to keep the 5 fouls, not being able to move the ball after a TO (see Davidson's play yesterday), 1-1 free throws, 2 halves, etc....

It defiantly has more to do with the talent level at the NBA level. Also (at least it use to be) the NBA couldn’t run a true zone defense. I have heard them use this term since and watched some Mavs game with a “zone” but it’s nothing like what you see in college. It use to be considered a illegal defense at one time. 

I rather see the ball advanced than 24 sec shot clock, but I don’t see how a 24 sec shot clock would ruin the game. That’s the time it takes some teams to walk it past half court. Less idle time on offense is a good thing to me.

• Upvote 2

Excited for this game tonight. Should be a decent crowd but it's a quick turnaround from when announced. Texas State is pretty good. They are deep at forward which could cause foul issues for our big men. We should win this game by 7-10 points but it could be a battle most of the game. 

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Excited for this game tonight. Should be a decent crowd but it's a quick turnaround from when announced. Texas State is pretty good. They are deep at forward which could cause foul issues for our big men. We should win this game by 7-10 points but it could be a battle most of the game. 

Good thing they are allowing 6 fouls. 🙂

• Upvote 5

On 3/14/2022 at 11:48 AM, CMJ said:

Like I mentioned in another thread earlier, the NCAA often experiments with rule changes in the NIT to see if they are worth changing once next season rolls around.  Looks like more fouls will be available.  I did a NIT rule change search and found this.

• Increase to six personal fouls before disqualification, with a maximum of four fouls allowed per half (experimental in NIT for 2022). If a player commits four personal fouls in a single half they will be disqualified for the remainder of the game.

@Andrewwill be devastated as this will keep Bell and Ousmane in the game longer and compact us into a 6-man rotation.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1