Texas State (3/15/22)

CMJ

57 minutes ago, meangreen11 said:

I feel like I was just listening to my wife from another room, she is telling me things I need to do, and I am just saying, "Yes" and "ok" and "I got it" on every sentence pause having no idea what she is telling me...

Then I just get in my truck and go to a bar, with her thinking that I went off to run and errand...only to consume 2 or 3 servings of brown water, returning home satisfied that I did my job......

Edited by flyonthewall
  • Haha 1

Leading scorers:

Caleb Asberry: 6'3" Sr G; 13.8 points per game, 43.8% FG, 39.4% 3Pt., 82% FT 

Mason Harrell: 5'9"  Sr G: 11.8 points per game, 48.6% FG, 41.7% 3Pt., 85.4% FT

Isiah Small: 6'8" Sr F: 11.0 points per game, 44.2% FG, 28.4% 3Pt., 70.5% FT.

Rebounders:

Isiah Small: 7.2 rpg

Nighael Ceaser: 6'8" Sr. F; 4.9 rpg

Caleb Asberry: 4.5 rpg

Like I mentioned in another thread earlier, the NCAA often experiments with rule changes in the NIT to see if they are worth changing once next season rolls around.  Looks like more fouls will be available.  I did a NIT rule change search and found this.

• Increase to six personal fouls before disqualification, with a maximum of four fouls allowed per half (experimental in NIT for 2022). If a player commits four personal fouls in a single half they will be disqualified for the remainder of the game.
Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Like I mentioned in another thread earlier, the NIT often experiments with rule changes in the NIT to see if they are worth changing once next season rolls around.  Looks like more fouls will be available.  I did a NIT rule change search and found this.

• Increase to six personal fouls before disqualification, with a maximum of four fouls allowed per half (experimental in NIT for 2022). If a player commits four personal fouls in a single half they will be disqualified for the remainder of the game.

Oh man, that could really make things interesting.

4 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Like I mentioned in another thread earlier, the NIT often experiments with rule changes in the NIT to see if they are worth changing once next season rolls around.  Looks like more fouls will be available.  I did a NIT rule change search and found this.

Don't tell Ousmane and Bell. They may take it to 3 in the first half and get up to 5 in the second half just keep us on our toes.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Haha imo, the battle flag paint is too much. Everything else is great. The green also has never looked good on tv for some reason. The coloring looks different game by game. 

I always thought the shade of green looked great on TV.

As for why it looks different game to game, every camera company's sensor is different. Different sizes, different dynamic range, different noise levels, etc. Most importantly each sensor renders color differently and every company has its' own color science (how the electronics determine what color is what.) Each camera feed is also pumped into a board where the technical director can also change color/hue/saturation to match all of the cameras on the broadcast. 

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Doesn't look like we'll be able to stream the audio for the game off of MGSports.  And ESPN's online service is basically useless at my my place.

Guess I'll have to follow the score tracker.

I'll try to throw up a feed around game time for those that aren't able to watch. 

19 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Like I mentioned in another thread earlier, the NCAA often experiments with rule changes in the NIT to see if they are worth changing once next season rolls around.  Looks like more fouls will be available.  I did a NIT rule change search and found this.

Abou must be sitting happy right now. 

I wish they would move everything to 4 ten min quarters and a 24 sec shot clock …

• Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I like the 20 minute halves.  I remember when the NIT experimented with quarters, I didn't enjoy the games nearly as much.

I also think making a 24 second shot clock would standardize too much of the offenses (and defenses for that matter).  NBA teams tend to play similar styles IMO, and I think it's because of the shot clock.  

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Interesting.  Overall, I'm going to interpret this as a slight advantage for a team like ours without a deep rotation.  However, it could also encourage more fouling in the post by opposing teams trying to test the shaky FT shooting of Bell et al.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I like the 20 minute halves.  I remember when the NIT experimented with quarters, I didn't enjoy the games nearly as much.

I also think making a 24 second shot clock would standardize too much of the offenses (and defenses for that matter).  NBA teams tend to play similar styles IMO, and I think it's because of the shot clock.  

I'm a fan of the 10 minute quarters with the women's games. There are fewer official timeouts so the games actually end quicker. It doesn't seem to impact the overall pace from what I've experienced.

I'm not sure college needs a 24-second clock.

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 2

1 minute ago, UNTFan23 said:

I'm a fan of the 10 minute quarters with the women's games. There are fewer official timeouts so the games actually end quicker. It doesn't seem to impact the overall pace from what I've experienced.

The men's games felt like their were more stoppages with quarters.  Plus, I missed the 1 and 1.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

I agree on the halves over quarters. Regarding the shot clock, does it matter if it's reduced if all we do is waste the first 10 seconds anyways? I guess it allows us to drain more clock but I'm not sure it does much in terms of impacting play styles. I would argue many NBA teams have little play style other than give it to the best guy or throw up 3s without regard but that's for the sake of taking advantage of talent and the 3vs2 argument. I think talent limitations in college would still prevent that.

4 hours ago, CMJ said:

You mean it forces teams to play a faster style of basketball that results in more points? Sounds exactly like what college basketball needs. That and deemphasizing charging. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

You mean it forces teams to play a faster style of basketball that results in more points? Sounds exactly like what college basketball needs. That and deemphasizing charges. 

At zero point in the season did I think we needed this.  What is your reasoning behind this?

I love this game.  I love that on one court I can see one team struggle to hit 20 in the 1H, and then another court has teams racing to 100 before the final whistle.  I guess some people don't care for the former, but it's that kind of diversity that separates the college game (this includes football) from the pros.  And it's good.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

You mean it forces teams to play a faster style of basketball that results in more points? Sounds exactly like what college basketball needs. That and deemphasizing charging. 

Kind of like Miner said, I loved that this past weekend I could watch games where two defensive orientated teams slowed the pace down and fought for every basket like it was life or death, and then a couple of hours later watched a team press full court the whole time, while two hours after that one one team ran iso's all day long.

Because of the various zones and stall ball offense, you get a wide variety of games.  Watching NBA games there are about 2 or 3 different styles of play that most games tend to go into.  College games have about a dozen...and I love it.  The ability to slow the pace down also gives teams like us more of a chance to knock off the Purdue's of the world.  The more uniform everyone plays, the more pure talent tends to win.

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Every second saved in the womens game with this innovation is lost and doubled by the time out to advance the ball to the 28’ line in any game that is not a blowout.  

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1