Johnny Jones

Ok, I’ll say it. If McCasland moves on, I’m all in on bringing Johnny Jones back.  I thank McCasland for bringing respectability back to the program and reaching new heights. 

I don’t think, however, that he can take us much higher; with the level of recruits and style of play. 

Jones left on very good terms. He had that itch to go back home and it didn’t work out. He left a wealth of talent that was squandered. I’d tie him up @ $1mm for 5 years. TSU may not match that.

Man, TSU scored 87 points yesterday. (Getting emotional just at that thought) 

Love to keep Grant but I’m not stressing. 

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 5
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

I know you love scoring Cooley, but there are more ways to win than putting up a lot of points.

I am a huge JJ fan, but if Mac gets hired away, I want to keep someone from the current staff to keep the train moving.  We messed that up when Jones left a decade ago.  Continuity is generally the way a school like ours keeps success going.

I think JJ might be building a giant in the SWAC.  I wouldn't be surprised if he dominates there for the next ten years.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I know you love scoring Cooley, but there are more ways to win than putting up a lot of points.

I am a huge JJ fan, but if Mac gets hired away, I want to keep someone from the current staff to keep the train moving.  We messed that up when Jones left a decade ago.  Continuity is generally the way a school like ours keeps success going.

I think JJ might be building a giant in the SWAC.  I wouldn't be surprised if he dominates there for the next ten years.

I would take Hodge over JJ for sure, but I would also happily take JJ. He has shown he can recruit locally and recruit great talent. 

• Upvote 4

I love JJ, I'd never curse the sky if we brought him back.  Hell, I watched 95% of the SWAC championship game yesterday instead of the three other conference title games that were going on at the same time out of memory of the guy.  I just think staying in the current family would work better.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

Another year. Another ncaa tournament. Proud of him - always wish success on a great unt ambassador 

it's pretty amazing what he is able to accomplish, especially considering he had to walk from a different country to make it to the game yesterday...

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Cooley said:

Ok, I’ll say it. If McCasland moves on, I’m all in on bringing Johnny Jones back.  I thank McCasland for bringing respectability back to the program and reaching new heights. 

I don’t think, however, that he can take us much higher; with the level of recruits and style of play. 

Jones left on very good terms. He had that itch to go back home and it didn’t work out. He left a wealth of talent that was squandered. I’d tie him up @ $1mm for 5 years. TSU may not match that.

Man, TSU scored 87 points yesterday. (Getting emotional just at that thought) 

Love to keep Grant but I’m not stressing. 

I think we would all love to see more from Grant on the recruiting trail, but his 'style of play' is not inherently defense first. His first 2+ years here he liked to run it a lot more, but i think talent level forced him to change what he wants to do. 

We are all hoping that he starts bringing in bigger/better recruits, but i think that regardless of what he has, he is getting the most out of his players.

I’d happily take 75 points a game average. This means you are not passing the ball around for 22 seconds before you finally look at the basket. Yes, the main goal is to win the game but it should also be entertaining. Whoever we bring in (current staff or outside) has to provide an entertaining brand of ball; to attract more talented kids; to put more asses in seats (who will pay more than $2 and/or asked  to bring in 4 others for free) helping inflate attendance for a championship team.

I know folks are paranoid about another Benford hire but we shouldnt assume a leftover will be more successful. In fact, the offense/recruiting could be more of the same. 

Again, not trying to run off a very successful coach. Just not losing any sleep In fear of reverting back to 8-20 records. No more unnecessary extensions and above budget contracts. (Until the product is in demand at inflation costs)

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, Cooley said:

I’d happily take 75 points a game average. This means you are not passing the ball around for 22 seconds before you finally look at the basket. Yes, the main goal is to win the game but it should also be entertaining. Whoever we bring in (current staff or outside) has to provide an entertaining brand of ball; to attract more talented kids; to put more asses in seats (who will pay more than $2 and/or asked  to bring in 4 others for free) helping inflate attendance for a championship team.

I know folks are paranoid about another Benford hire but we shouldnt assume a leftover will be more successful. In fact, the offense/recruiting could be more of the same. 

Again, not trying to run off a very successful coach. Just not losing any sleep In fear of reverting back to 8-20 records. No more unnecessary extensions and above budget contracts. (Until the product is in demand at inflation costs)

No. winning always trumps 'entertaining', and it's not even close

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Cooley said:

I want to see more talent too…as long as they’re willing to share the basketball, play defense, dive after loose balls, and put team first.   Do you know of any Shane Battier clones that we aren’t recruiting and should be? 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Cooley said:

So you want this guy?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/vic-trilli-1.html

Recruited Chris Davis, Leonard Hopkins etc. Hit your game average for 2 out of 4 years and came close in the other 2 years.

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Downvote 1