Keeping my hopes up!

BigWillie

La Tech v UAB outcome would be of little importance. The hope is the committee takes a long look at our losses and not just surface level. For example: Buffalo was early year and they put together a good season, played decent against Kansas, that Miami loss SUCKS bc I felt like we controlled the game well. Just let it slip away… and UTEP was the last game of the year and I’m guessing the guys were looking ahead to the tourney. Then the other 2 losses are the 2 teams playing for the conference championship. No signature win but that’s a strong resume. 

I’m expecting to play in the NIT but you never know. 

• Upvote 2

We seem to be getting some love from the under the radar bracket guys with good track records. Another one of those guys has us in 1st four out which would be an NIT 1 seed. I’m absolutely NOT getting my hopes up. I have to think even with our good metrics the committee looks at the last week and says no thanks. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

ESPN Article

8. Does North Texas have a chance?

North Texas is this year's example of a mid-major team that had a terrific regular season and is good enough to play in the NCAA tournament -- but suffered a surprising loss in the conference tournament and now likely doesn't have enough on the résumé to get a bid.

The Mean Green went 22-6 overall, 16-2 in Conference USA and have pretty solid metrics outside of Sagarin. Their NET is in the top 50. But they have just one Quadrant 1 win all season, a road win at Conference USA champ UAB, and haven't really beaten anyone of note besides the Blazers.

As much as some people want to see mid-major champions over middle-of-the-pack power-conference teams, it's unlikely to happen this year with UNT.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Again, I point to how annoying it is when people only look for the “signature win”. North Texas does not have a singular loss where you felt like they were decidedly beat. Just watching the team tells you they’re a tourney squad. How different is this conversation if we didn’t let the Miami game slip away? Pain. 

Edited by MeanGreen22
Grammar
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

Examples of past surprise teams, please.

Someone give me hope.

kghrx5set4r31.jpg

They are right, there are surprise teams every year. But typically they're middling Power conference teams that get in over other middling Power conference teams.  I seem to remember that VCU was something of a shock though back in 2011, and then they proceeded to make the F4.

Jay Bilas took A LOT of crap for that one because he spent Selection Sunday bitching about how they weren't worthy.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CMJ said:

I seem to remember that VCU was something of a shock though back in 2011, and then they proceeded to make the F4.

Jay Bilas took A LOT of crap for that one because he spent Selection Sunday bitching about how they weren't worthy.

oof.  good memory.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/648980-vcu-perfect-fit-for-march-madness-criticism-from-espn-analysts-way-off-base

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/despite-final-four-jay-bilas-stands-by-his-vcu-hate/88382/