A one week snapshot of "The Curse". Why North Texas should NEVER wear gray or black again.

ADLER

No other school play incessantly in alternate colors. Why on Earth would a team called the MEAN GREEN do that?

Bad things happen. It's a curse. Our teams go stone cold to start games that they should be able to win.

Seriously, what is the infatuation with non-school colors gray and black? Are we allowing people that have absolutely no affinity for our university influence these decisions?

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

School colors don't mean much anymore as each team has to have a variety of uniforms.

I don't know why any team uses gray, it is not a better option than white.

Black seems to be a player favorite, but Green and white should be the only NT options in any sport.

I also don't like pink for the ladies team.  Maybe once a year, but no more.  

Overall, colors obviously have absolutely nothing to do with winning.  

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

Does anybody on here think Duke suffers the same image issue that we do?

Everybody on the planet recognizes their uniforms. Very few people in our own home state recognize ours.

Our gray and our black uniforms look like crap, they don't represent our school, and our teams often play notoriously poorly when they wear them.

I think most fans are fine with an occasional blackout game, a throwback game, or even pink-for-cancer games in October, but limit them to protect the integrity of our branding.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

I'm not disagreeing with you Adler...I wish we'd play in Green and White.  I was just responding to your "does any other school" thing.  Arizona State, Oregon, and USC also play in black a lot.  I know there are some others out there that don't come to mind.  I think all of them (like us) make a mistake when they do, but it's not as uncommon as you postulated.

Edited by CMJ

Fans seem to disregard how bad the luck is with these uniforms.

We just lost two out two out of three games to teams with NET Ratings 100 and 50 below us.

The UTEP crowd was a non-factor and the loss to La Tech was before a very partisan North Texas crowd. The gray and black uniform curse destroyed us. We simply stank up the joints wearing those colors.

We lost at UTEP, not because of the Miners, but because we shot 6 of 18 from the free throw line in the first half. Think about that, most were the first half of what would have been 1&1 free throws. 

We were certainly cursed in the Tech game. I credit Tech for outstanding defense, but nothing was going in the basket, not even open layups. We had an alarming 13 points at halftime. 

We need to end the curse forever by disposing of those gray and black uniforms.

YARN | Burn them! | Monty Python and the Holy Grail | Video gifs by quotes  | 0857f1e4 | 紗

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, ADLER said:

When we look like shit we play like shit. All Doubt Erased. The early game woes destroy us.

Last Saturday: North Texas men's basketball wears black costumes (our uniforms are our school colors) for the regular season final game against UTEP. North Texas can't overcome the curse, falls apart on offense, and shoots 53% from free throw line and loses. This one loss at UTEP has cost us the NCAA Tournament.

Wednesday this week: North Texas Softball is flying high at 11-3 after winning their last two tournaments and torching Texas Tech in the process. The Mean Green have the highest profile guest team possible in the Texas Longhorns, play in front of an overflow crowd, but the Mean Green decide to wear unsightly black uniforms and subsequently get soundly trounced in a hitting drought at home 8-2 by a team wearing Burnt Orange. HUGE opportunity squandered in highest profile game. Sellout crowd and we wear black costumes. Are you f'n kidding me?

Friday morning: The North Texas men decide to be the only team in the conference tournament, possibly the only team in any conference tournament to not wear it's school colors. For some idiotic reason North Texas wore gray. The Mean Green can barely score at all and make national news as the "team that only scored 13 points in the first half". This loss to underdog La Tech eliminated North Texas from any NCAA Tournament contention.

Friday evening: The North Texas Women, wearing all black, are unable to overcome the curse as Charlotte runs out quickly to a 16 point first half lead. The women fought back to tie the game late but were unable to overcome the effects of the curse in the first half.

Can someone name any other school that wore alternate color uniforms in their conference tournament? I know no other CUSA school did, and I doubt anyone else would.

Our school colors are GREEN and WHITE. No other colors have ever been voted on by the student body, and no other colors have ever been approved by our Board of Regents.

We don't lose EVERY time we wear weird alternate color uniforms (well, we did in football), but bad crap always seems to happen when we wear them.

WE PLAY HORRIBLY IN ALTERNATE COLOR UNIFORMS AND... THEY DON'T REPRESENT "MEAN GREEN".

GET RID OF THE CURSE!!! NEVER WEAR BLACK OR GRAY UNIFORMS EVER AGAIN!!!

unt-football_unlv_5526_large.jpg

HOD bowl win

9995790.jpeg

The drive.

maxresdefault.jpg

The stand.

Some of our best football moments happened in black.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Some of our best football moments happened in black.

Yes, like I've said, we have been able to overcome the curse at times in the past. 

But wouldn't it be better if memorable moments in our history were actually made while we are wearing our own school colors? 

We can't change the past but we can certainly build for the future. A huge component of that is creating our image.

The 'select-whatever-uniforms-you-want-to-wear' should have gone away when we stopped being "that tiny music college in Texas". Bush league. We're now on the national stage and we're not just competing against TWU any more for attention. It's time to put on our big-boy boots and start supporting our school colors Green and White and promoting our branding.

These are NCAA Division 1 athletics, not children's soccer teams where they choose the uniforms they'd like.

And last year's football season proved that we're cursed when we start taking liberties with our colors and logos.

• Upvote 3

Just out of curiosity, we've played around with adding blue, black, and gray to our uniforms in the last 25 years.

What other fashion colors do you think we should add, purple, orange, yellow, magenta? Seriously, what if lavender becomes trendy, do we add it to our uniform combos?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Just out of curiosity, we've played around with adding blue, black, and gray to our uniforms in the last 25 years.

What other fashion colors do you think we should add, purple, orange, yellow, magenta? Seriously, what if lavender becomes trendy, do we add it to our uniform combos?

Not sure if you're serious lol.  Black looks good because it works very well with nearly any other color as a trim.  That's not a trend, that's graphic design.

People stopped putting red text on blue backgrounds because they figured out it doesn't work and it's nearly impossible to read, not because it was a trend that people grew out of.

• Upvote 1

If the trend is still current, then why weren't any of the other teams wearing black uniforms? Has that fad passed?

Every other school was wearing their school colors, as were their fans. Our fans are now limited to a variety of mostly black and gray crap from which to choose. We are the MEAN GREEN...Learn It, Live It, Love It.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, ADLER said:

When we look like shit we play like shit. All Doubt Erased. The early game woes destroy us.

Last Saturday: North Texas men's basketball wears black costumes (our uniforms are our school colors) for the regular season final game against UTEP. North Texas can't overcome the curse, falls apart on offense, and shoots 53% from free throw line and loses. This one loss at UTEP has cost us the NCAA Tournament.

Wednesday this week: North Texas Softball is flying high at 11-3 after winning their last two tournaments and torching Texas Tech in the process. The Mean Green have the highest profile guest team possible in the Texas Longhorns, play in front of an overflow crowd, but the Mean Green decide to wear unsightly black uniforms and subsequently get soundly trounced in a hitting drought at home 8-2 by a team wearing Burnt Orange. HUGE opportunity squandered in highest profile game. Sellout crowd and we wear black costumes. Are you f'n kidding me?

Friday morning: The North Texas men decide to be the only team in the conference tournament, possibly the only team in any conference tournament to not wear it's school colors. For some idiotic reason North Texas wore gray. The Mean Green can barely score at all and make national news as the "team that only scored 13 points in the first half". This loss to underdog La Tech eliminated North Texas from any NCAA Tournament contention.

Friday evening: The North Texas Women, wearing all black, are unable to overcome the curse as Charlotte runs out quickly to a 16 point first half lead. The women fought back to tie the game late but were unable to overcome the effects of the curse in the first half.

Can someone name any other school that wore alternate color uniforms in their conference tournament? I know no other CUSA school did, and I doubt anyone else would.

Our school colors are GREEN and WHITE. No other colors have ever been voted on by the student body, and no other colors have ever been approved by our Board of Regents.

We don't lose EVERY time we wear weird alternate color uniforms (well, we did in football), but bad crap always seems to happen when we wear them.

WE PLAY HORRIBLY IN ALTERNATE COLOR UNIFORMS AND... THEY DON'T REPRESENT "MEAN GREEN".

GET RID OF THE CURSE!!! NEVER WEAR BLACK OR GRAY UNIFORMS EVER AGAIN!!!

Your campaign against uniform colors is really weird... I don't think we were anything but green or white during the Dodge years and that didn't seem to be such a great time. Should we have labeled the green and whites a curse at that point?

• Downvote 4