Mizzou fires coach.....McCasland already being mentioned in coaching openings.

NT80

"...Mississippi State is very likely to make a move, with things trending in that direction for most of the past few weeks. Ben Howland has been to only one NCAA tournament in seven seasons in Starkville.

If and when the Bulldogs do make a move, expect some of the same names as Kansas State's list: San Francisco's Todd Golden, New Mexico State's Chris Jans, Baylor assistant Jerome Tang and North Texas' Grant McCasland. More on this one in the coming days."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/33446939/college-basketball-coaching-carousel-latest-buzz-prime-candidates-analysis-top-vacancies

21 hours ago, NM Green said:

Build it Grant. You saw the possibilities this season. You can actually take UNT on a run to the Final Four. 

More Mean Green fun to come. 
GMG

Of course Grant is on many “Coach’s to covet” lists. The color commentator & ex Mavericks coach spent an unnecessary few seconds shopping our Coach in yesterday’s telecast.  That really pissed me off  (Hey Avery! When’s the last time you were even in Denton to discover it’s hardly like you are taking a forced trip to Auschwitz)?😡

A Coach desired by many is a good scenario.  Shall I go thru the last 50 years of MG basketball hires & the “stayed much too long” lists?  I didn’t think so.🙄

A Little History of the Good, the Bad, & the Ugly—I told our UNT Defense Gurus Coach’s mother who I sat next to at the Super Pit/ La Tech game how we had one UNT coach who turned down Spud Webb for a scholarship.  She knew who Webb was & couldn’t believe “an instant attendance producer” as Spud would have been spurned a basketball scholarship in Denton but… I also told her about many UNT basketball highlight games one of which was our big win over a Abe Lemons-coached Texas Longhorns team in the Super Pit. Remember that half court shot by Pat Hicks?  Of course many of you do. 

My 6’th sense & from other comments by a few close to the Mean Green scene says Coach is happy in Denton; his family (including parents & a brother) are happy in Denton; & it is not all about money with Coach Mac.  Many who grew up in his family’s ministerial kind of environment such values tend to get developed.
Now I think all would agree Grant does need a significant pay raise fairly soon.  

STILL MEAN GREEN PROUD! (Why wouldn’t we be—it’s still our school & “OUR” team).

GMG!

C6CC772B-B5AB-4CDB-BEF7-C38D18679C88.jpeg.040b4af2b01cd5a4c65aa357335113e1.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

Let’s make this simple.  For every coaching vacancy, there will be a lazy journalist who will drag out the same list of four or five names (Mac, Todd Golden, Matt McMahon, etc) and say they are a “candidate” because they assume every coach in a mid-major is just dying to jump ship.  

What they will leave out is: 

- With the increased money comes increased, and often unreasonable, pressure to win (Did Shaka Smart become less of a coach because UT didn’t win enough?)

- Most of these jobs are at schools that are not the traditional powers in that conference, and the top teams in that conferences are just as well (or better) resourced

- You only stay a “hot” coaching name while you are winning, so taking a “power five” job also comes with the risk of dead ending your rise

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1

I cannot see Grant leaving UNT any time soon.  I think he is a family first, Church-going man that has found a home in Denton.  Don't think he is the type that would uproot his family.  And that 8,000+ crowd at the Super Pit shows the real potential at UNT.  Give Coach McCasland the recruiting tools and money for his assistants and I think he could stay in Denton for a long time.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

3 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

I cannot see Grant leaving UNT any time soon.  I think he is a family first, Church-going man that has found a home in Denton.  Don't think he is the type that would uproot his family.  And that 8,000+ crowd at the Super Pit shows the real potential at UNT.  Give Coach McCasland the recruiting tools and money for his assistants and I think he could stay in Denton for a long time.

He does seem like a family man. But family men also make sacrifices to provide, and a power conference job with 3-4x the salary is really hard to turn down. That’s life changing for a family.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

Georgia is by far the worst P5/ major conference job right now. They are several years away from being any sort of relevant. That would be a massive step down, mainly with how strong the SEC is right now.

LSU is another terrible place with what will be in place after the violations, since Will Wade was fired. Pay would be better but I have a feeling we see some ncaa tournament bans.

Missouri is the only one I can slightly, and when I say slightly I mean 1%, of him going there and fitting in. They have great potential and fan base unlike UGA and other bottom dweller SEC schools. 

Anyway, McCasland is stating here for a while. Count on it.

• Upvote 2

In CUSA with Grant, NT has a very realistic 50/50 chance to get into the Tourney every year, or the NIT this year. 

In the SEC, they may get 4 or 5 teams in?  But it is tough every single game in that conference.  And you go 2-3 years without a Tourney entry and you are toast at that school. 

He can have long term job security and a statue at NT.🗽

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tom McKrackin said:

McCasland is not going anywhere.  He is in a good spot at UNT.  The only issue is unt will have to upgrade their basketball facilities to compete for the best recruits in C-USA.  Also I wonder if Grant’s style of play becomes a hindrance in recruiting as well.

Do high scores play defense? My experience most do not. We need a number 2 that can drive to the hoop. Hard to do at 5’11”

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ChiefTenBeers2015 said:

You forgot about the money…and the conference affiliation…and the money.  Looking at it realistically, but would want McCasland to stay in Denton - of course. Just think if there’s an increase in both, would be hard for any coach…

GMG

I'm hoping a nice raise and our pending move to the AAC will be enough for Coach to stay a while longer.

• Upvote 1