Losing is Winning!

Clinetort

We can be upset until the selections are complete, then it is time to go to work whether it is the NCAA's as an at large or the NIT.  This team has had a fabulous season and hit a rough patch at the wrong time.  Time to regroup, get the confidence back and go to work.  There is still a lot of basketball to be played.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, Clinetort said:

Of course I wanted to win the tourney and move on, but there are two really big upsides;  1.  We could actually compete and win the NIT.   2.  Mac will more than likely be around for another run next year with what could be a stacked team.  

heres-your-sign-duh.gif

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, CMJ said:

Or, we go in so dejected we bow out early and end the season on a very bitter note.  Coach Mac will show how good he is this next week.  I've watched many NIT games with teams that were only sorta there mentally and get bounced in games they probably should have won.

There's no silver lining in not making the Dance unless we get to MSG.

As a coach, the first game of the NIT has to be such a mental game with players, maybe in all of sports, especially in these CUSA-level leagues where you get tons of bubble teams, teams that were likely 1 or 2 seeds in their conference tourney, and got bounced early.

You have to tell your team that there's more games to play, after spending all season in a "NCAA-or-we failed" mentality.

That mental game gets significantly easier if you can get that first round win.  Roster relaxes and remembers how fun it is to play and win.

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

We all cope in odd ways but this is loser thinking. Our future AAC opponents are now saying: “ah North Texas couldn’t even make the NCAA tournament”, while you’re excited for a second class tournament. You have to expand your expectations.

Is that what you gather from reading their reactions to Memphis's win last year?

Not playing devil's advocate here, I honestly don't know.  But we have strong, immediate evidence in front of us that tells us one way or the other how the AAC reacts to NIT runs.

6 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

We all cope in odd ways but this is loser thinking. Our future AAC opponents are now saying: “ah North Texas couldn’t even make the NCAA tournament”, while you’re excited for a second class tournament. You have to expand your expectations.

My expectations were for us to win our tournament and be an 11 or 12 seed. Since that is probably not going to happen, my expectation now is to win the NIT rather than sit home and watch everyone else still playing.

• Upvote 1

On 3/10/2022 at 11:56 AM, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

A lot of early turnovers. We need to lock it down

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

I mean, we sorta felt like the best team in the league last year even though we didn't win the regular season title.  If you're in the mix, you probably always feel that you're the best team even if you have more losses.  I'll give him a pass.