NIT Here We Come!

Clinetort

18 minutes ago, CMJ said:

If we're a top 4 seed - we'd automatically host the first game (unless the Super Pit has already been rented out for that night and we have to give up the home game).

Can't imagine anyone would rent the Super Pit.  Home game here we come!  Kinda exciting.  Worse things than a weekend in NYC.  Only three victories away.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

7 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

There’s no way we aren’t a top 2 seed. Our NET is going to finish at like 42 or 43. 

If LATech wins the Championship, then yeah.  If no, their NET may not go up enough & they’re just over 100 right now, so that’s a Q3 loss for us as it stands.  Meanwhile we’ll likely drop down to the high 40s-low 50s.  

And the NIT is gonna want to put some of these high-major bubble teams in the higher seeds to give them the better opportunity to get to NYC.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If LATech wins the Championship, then yeah.  If no, their NET may not go up enough & they’re just over 100 right now, so that’s a Q3 loss for us as it stands.  Meanwhile we’ll likely drop down to the high 40s-low 50s.  

And the NIT is gonna want to put some of these high-major bubble teams in the higher seeds to give them the better opportunity to get to NYC.

The loss to UTEP dropped is 5 spots. 

3 hours ago, UNT Family Man said:

I hope for the madness to put us in the bubble conversation. 

I think our only chance at the NCAA would put us in the Tuesday 12 v. 12 game. 

it’s appealing…I honestly wonder what would be best for the program…a “first round“ win or a mini run through the NIT with at least one game at The Pit

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

58 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I think our only chance at the NCAA would put us in the Tuesday 12 v. 12 game. 

it’s appealing…I honestly wonder what would be best for the program…a “first round“ win or a mini run through the NIT with at least one game at The Pit

Do you think a CBI type attendance would happen?  I think if they get into the big dance, they’d make some noise.  Or maybe my green goggles are clouding my vision?  I can’t tell anymore.  I blame Western Son. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I may be miscalculating how bad yesterday was. Lunardi dropped us out of his first 8 out completely. 

NIT seeding is going to be interesting. 

I actually thought there was a decent shot we might end as a 3 or 4 seed.  The school escapes me now, but I remember several seasons back there was a school sorta like us with a sterling record who got knocked out of their league tourney early and was actually on Lunardi and Palm's big boards as just being the last team out of the tournament.  Then they ended up as like a 3 seed in the NIT.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, CMJ said:

Should we ever appear in any Bowl Game other than say The New Years Six or a few others like the Gator Bowl?  Now I do believe there are too many Bowl games given something like 70% of all college football teams seem to get in one nowadays, but still I think there should be more than a dozen Bowl Games.

Not a fair comparison. Realistically it would be more like an FCS school just missing the playoff and then trying to get excited about a game against other teams that didn’t make the playoff. The NCAA tourney is the college basketball playoff where being a G5 doesn’t prohibit you from competing for a national title. The NIT is like a consolation bowl game. You play in it, sure, but you’d much, MUCH, rather be in the playoff than a tournament of “also rans”.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Not a fair comparison. Realistically it would be more like an FCS school just missing the playoff and then trying to get excited about a game against other teams that didn’t make the playoff. The NCAA tourney is the college basketball playoff where being a G5 doesn’t prohibit you from competing for a national title. The NIT is like a consolation bowl game. You play in it, sure, but you’d much, MUCH, rather be in the playoff than a tournament of “also rans”.

No, it IS a fair comparison.  Now plenty of schools like Alabama, or Ohio State think that playing in the Rose or Sugar Bowls are hardly worth going to if they aren't part of the National Semifinals.

The NIT will be back to 32 teams this year. We could potentially play Texas A&M, Texas State, TCU, SMU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, UAB/LaTech, just to name a few schools that will likely miss the NCAA tournament. I am excited about the opportunity to play any of those teams and generally excited about the invite. We have never been invited to play in the NIT.  UTA has been to the NIT 3 times and was a quarterfinalist in 2017.  In the last 10 years Texas, TCU, and Baylor have all won the NIT. 

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 4