Louisiana Tech (3/11/22)

CMJ

Just now, Andrew said:

Didn’t work against UTEP and previously didn’t work when we were up against  Buffalo ages ago. It kept the score close but the lack of offense is what cost us. Not the lack of defense. We needed to put more pressure on the other end of the floor. 

If you don't focus on defense, you're not closing down the lead.  Runs are instigated by defense 99% of the time.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

4 minutes ago, CMJ said:

If you don't focus on defense, you're not closing down the lead.  Runs are instigated by defense 99% of the time.

Nobody said don’t make defensive stops. We continued to come to a grind on the offensive end instead of increasing the pace of play. When we are up it’s huge and helps extend leads. When we are down and playing a La Tech that was still managing to score at times and not backing down it is not all we needed. We needed to hit our free throws and try to change the pace of play on both ends. We never fully adjusted and it showed when we continued to struggle offensively. That and I was suprised how gased our guys looked compared to a team who was in their 3rd game in 3 days. 

6 minutes ago, CMJ said:

He was player of the game last night.

I'm actually more disappointed in Perry's performance today.

Really?

Murray - 0 points

Jones - 2 points 

Scott - 0 points 

Three guys who play in the rotation only give you 2 points? 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Funny…. Everybody was all over that CBI bandwagon and how it propelled us to success. 

Completely different situation. Winning the CBI coming off an 8-22 season with a brand new coach is something that excites you for the future. It probably exceeded the expectations of most.

This season we are coming of an NCAA tournament victory and we don’t even make the CUSA final or the NCAA tournament. I don’t see how this is an opportunity to overachieve.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

Expect greatness. This is a massive, significant choke job by the best squad to ever take the court at the Pit. Make excuses about the NIT or whatever but that’s just a fact. Choke job for the ages.

Yep, highest-rated team in school history and no tournament bid--lost final two of three. The team melted down under pressure no question about it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

4 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I mean, it kind of does doesn’t it? Isn’t that exactly what it does? I still love the team, but I think that’s the reality of the loss. 

2 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

Expect greatness. This is a massive, significant choke job by the best squad to ever take the court at the Pit. Make excuses about the NIT or whatever but that’s just a fact. Choke job for the ages.

Yup, this is the literal, dictionary definition of a choke job

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Big Z said:

Really?

Murray - 0 points

Jones - 2 points 

Scott - 0 points 

Just now, p_phelps said:

Perry has been cold since last LA Tech game.  He happened to hit game winning shot so all was forgiven. 

Murray has been god-awful shooting recently. 0-6 field goal, 0-4 from 3 today. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I mean, it kind of does doesn’t it? Isn’t that exactly what it does? I still love the team, but I think that’s the reality of the loss. 

No...he said it doesn't take away from what they did accomplish.  They accomplished what they accomplished.  That's what can't be taken away.  Not what they didn't accomplish.

Folks, since we joined CUSA the number one seed has only won the tournament twice (in seven tries) prior to this year.  One of those teams was a 31-win MTSU team that was an overwhelming favorite.  Our offense, which was already not particularly good, didn't show up today against another good defensive team.  These things happen, and we are now officially a bubble team.  Realistically, we are probably headed for the NIT as one of the highest seeds.  That's actually a really awesome opportunity!

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Really?

Murray - 0 points

Jones - 2 points 

Scott - 0 points 

Well, that wasn't the conversation.  It was about benching Ousmane because of his game today.  I was saying he played well LAST night, so I wouldn't bench him over that.  Perry has struggled for like four games in a row.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gibbz said:

Yep, highest-rated team in school history and no tournament bid--lost final two of three. The team melted down under pressure no question about it.

2 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Yup, this is the literal, dictionary definition of a choke job

Absolutely. There’s no shame in getting beat. But this wasn’t that. This was a collective choke job. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

2 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Well, that wasn't the conversation.  It was about benching Ousmane because of his game today.  I was saying he played well LAST night, so I wouldn't bench him over that.  Perry has struggled for like four games in a row.

Then who do you go with to rebound ?

19 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

Folks, since we joined CUSA the number one seed has only won the tournament twice (in seven tries) prior to this year.  One of those teams was a 31-win MTSU team that was an overwhelming favorite.  Our offense, which was already not particularly good, didn't show up today against another good defensive team.  These things happen, and we are now officially a bubble team.  Realistically, we are probably headed for the NIT as one of the highest seeds.  That's actually a really awesome opportunity!

That high seed won’t matter if we shoot below 25%.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I'm not sure what would have been getting beat fair and square for some of you versus a choke job.  Our defense showed up.

A choke job would have been if we got our doors blown off.

24% FG, 16% 3PT

They had the looks but couldn’t sink shots. Least efficient offensive performance in college basketball. Is that not a choke job?

• Upvote 2

Good Game UNT. I think McCasland is the best coach in CUSA hands down. He gets more out of his players than any other coach in CUSA. UNT is not the most talented but coaching, gritty play and heart makes up for it.

UNT had to win the CUSA tournament after the loss to UTEP anyway so Go Win the NIT!!!  

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, meangreenlax said:

24% FG, 16% 3PT

They had the looks but couldn’t sink shots. Least efficient offensive performance in college basketball. Is that not a choke job?

Both teams had crappy offensive stats today.  LA Tech probably had in the bottom tier of offensive efficiency too.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I'm not sure what would have been getting beat fair and square for some of you versus a choke job.  Our defense showed up.

A choke job would have been if we got our doors blown off.

I'd say losing two of three including a final point total that resembled an 8th grade girls' game qualifies as a choke job.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1