Louisiana Tech (3/11/22)

CMJ

2 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Hold your opponent to 42

get beat…..okay  

score 13 points in the first half….we’ll there you go

But here’s the kicker……I believe we started the game up 10-2

Having a hard time figuring that one out 

I mentioned it at halftime earlier in the thread, that we missed our chance to go up big in the 1st half. They went 7 minutes or something like that without scoring. We could have crushed their will. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gibbz said:

I'd say losing two of three including a final point total that resembled an 8th grade girls' game qualifies as a choke job.

So any loss today would have been a choke job?  Or just the low point total?

Because I'd say if we lost this same game 71-65, I would have been more upset personally because it means our defense decided to take the day off.  That's how we win games.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, CMJ said:

So any loss today would have been a choke job?  Or just the low point total?

Because I'd say if we lost this same game 71-65, I would have been more upset personally because it means our defense decided to take the day off.  That's how we win games.

If you're content with the best team in school history scoring 36 points in a semifinal then do you, man.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 5

Just now, Gibbz said:

If you're content with the best team in school history scoring 36 points in a semifinal then do you, man.

I'm not content because I wanted to win.  The point total has nothing to do with it.  If we lost scoring 80 it wouldn't be better because it was more aesthetically pleasing to watch.  Our style is to make it ugly and roll in the mud.  Someone (shockingly) just did it better than us today.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Hold your opponent to 42

get beat…..okay  

score 13 points in the first half….we’ll there you go

But here’s the kicker……I believe we started the game up 10-2

Having a hard time figuring that one out 

We were stuck on 10 for what seemed like 10 minutes of game play.

22 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

24% FG, 16% 3PT

They had the looks but couldn’t sink shots. Least efficient offensive performance in college basketball. Is that not a choke job?

A choke job is when you beat yourself after being in a favorable position, which we definitely were in this scenario. If LA Tech let us come back to win like they did in Ruston it would have taken the same definition. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

15 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

This entire game was defined by bad shooting. I don't know if the team was just off or nervous, but it was the biggest factor in the game today. 

They were playing scared. No one wanted to step up and make a play. Just a lot of passing the ball around the perimeter until someone had to force a shot because the shot clock was about to expire. 

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

so you all thought we were head and shoulders above every other team in CUSA? I never thought we had a guaranteed ticket to the final, especially considering the fact that our scores against teams 2-4 in the west division had been 

UAB 63-69

La Tech 63-62

UTEP 66-58

UAB 58-57

La. Tech 56-49

UTEP 68-70

So our point differential was +9 against the other contenders in the bracket, and you thought there was no way we would lose to any of them?

I think a choke job would have been a loss to Rice last night.

Yes, if we had played our usual clamp down defense and shot anywhere over 24% FG and 16% from 3 like we did today, I would favor us over every one in the conference. I'm not saying it was a guaranteed ticket, but we were and should have rightfully been favored to win the conference tournament. We had one of the best defenses in the country with our highest NET in school history which would have put us in the NCAA tournament and what did we do with that? Choked it away. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

La Tech scored 42 points.  I would call that clamp down defense.  Shooting 18% and scoring 13 in the first half was the story of this game.  In the second half we outscored them 23-21.  

You get a down vote for the truth...hummm

13 points in the first half...thats a killer

22 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Yes, if we had played our usual clamp down defense and shot anywhere over 24% FG and 16% from 3 like we did today, I would favor us over every one in the conference. I'm not saying it was a guaranteed ticket, but we were and should have rightfully been favored to win the conference tournament. We had one of the best defenses in the country with our highest NET in school history which would have put us in the NCAA tournament and what did we do with that? Choked it away. 

by your math, if we hit two additional 3 point shots, we are, at the minimum, in this game... 

so not hitting two additional 3 pointers, at any point of the game, is choking against the 3rd best team in the league?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

You get a down vote for the truth...hummm

13 points in the first half...thats a killer

We couldn’t buy a 3. We struggled getting the ball to Abou vs. Lofton. And we had several in-n-outs both from 3 and close in. LaTech gave us a taste of our medicine today.  That being said, we still had a chance.   Looking forward to cheering this team on regardless of the tournament. GMG!

• Upvote 2

That was a frustrating offensive game.  Lots of turnovers.  Lots of missed 3s.  Poor perimeter ball movement.  Very concerning, seeing as we had an almost equally bad offensive showing for the 1st half VS UTEP less than 1 week ago.

Defense played well, as usual.  Not worried about this aspect of our team.

If we don’t get the offense going at home in the NIT, we’re gonna get bounced 1st round.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

They were playing scared. No one wanted to step up and make a play. Just a lot of passing the ball around the perimeter until someone had to force a shot because the shot clock was about to expire. 

Thank you.

We were surgical in the paint vs Rice. When playing against LA Tech we did everything we could to not attack their defenders at the rim.

Im thrilled we didn't have the foul trouble we've been associated with almost the entire season, but when you do that at the cost of winning at the rim you're going to lose against a team like LA Tech (or UAB).

I went back to the office after the game which was a damn mistake.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Was Dan McCarney right?

The modern day recruiting game completely passed him by. He never adjusted to the new school way recruiting works.

It might be hard but Johnny Jones had some really good recruiting classes here, especially in 2011. You win this much there’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to convince top recruits to come here. 

Mccasland has had a ton of success with the overlooked JUCO players who come in with a clear amount to prove. He has not had as much success with high-ranked high school players, or with transfers. 

He is getting the toughness from the JUCO ranks. Would love to see him able to supplement that toughness with some more talent from the HS ranks and the portal. 3 straight CUSA championships is certainly enough ammo for a good recruiting staff. Time for them to show they can be a good recruiting staff to take the next step forward.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

For next year we need another big man for games like these where Ousmane is not producing, and give him some rest. Then an athletic paint driver to replace Bell. 

You mean like 6'8" 208lb P5 transfer forward Hameir Wright?  

This dude had TONS of playing time at Washington and he didn't do jack squat here.  I'm still all ears why he couldn't be effectively worked into the rotation.

Lord Jesus this team need more size.

• Upvote 5