Day #2 of Spring Ball

KeithLee

Who is Trieb and why can we expect him to be an upgrade?

On 2/3/2022 at 10:54 PM, GrayEagle said:

Trieb is the best in my book but Kaghen Roach and Cam Robertson also arouse interest.  Maybe we won't miss the Murphy twins very much this season. 

On 2/4/2022 at 3:29 PM, PlummMeanGreen said:

(1) Tom Trieb for me, too, Jack.  We might have to ask Randy White’s permission to call Trieb—“the Manster.” 
😳In his below video, watch that 270  pound goat ropin’ son of a gun chase down a running back downfield. Amazing. 

••• Trieb is 6’3” 270;  unbelievable speed at that size; can even play fullback in special goal line situations or a “1 yard for a 1’st down” scenario.  

(2) QB Stone Earle; a transfer from ACU is tied with Trieb as my #1 choice.  QB Head from Friendswood/LaTech is up there too. 
QB Earle is mobile & accurate with 3 years eligibility left. He’s in class at UNT now. (Even heard Bryce Drummond is making progress; maybe from Harry or the Real Jay D)?

••• Tom Trieb was the #8 ranked JUCO Defensive Lineman in America. (What a catch for North Texas).

* Check out Trieb’s video https://247sports.com/Player/Tom-Trieb-46054978/

••• Once 9 UNT scholarships are given to Portal transfers in the next several weeks we should not be surprised if this class equals or exceeds last years “the Best of CUSA” group.

Celebration Time! (Toga?) 

🦅

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, edcollopy said:

Definitely some pot shots at the Murphy twins.

“Trieb will be an upgrade,” Bennett said. “He is strong and fast. He will be the best defensive end we have had.”

Bennett is expecting UNT to be far more consistent. The Murphy brothers made several huge plays but also drew multiple penalties that played key roles in losses.

“We were all flash,” Bennett said. “We didn’t have consistency every play.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I think I trust his opinion a bit more than all of us Joe Fan-types or the Murphys.

https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/phil-bennett/647

1 hour ago, NT93 said:

That idiot turned our defense around last year, so there’s that.

I think @peanuts104 is more commenting on the insinuation from several here that coach Bennett is happy the Murphys are gone, and that they hurt more than helped.   I highly doubt he truly believes that, and if he actually does, then I agree with peanuts104.
That said, now that they're gone, coach Bennett must pump up what he currently has.  Pumping up Treib as "better" than the Murphys without even seeing him play a down in Green is a good start, but speculative at best.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

I enjoyed the twins while they were here but at times their play was so frustrating with the stupid penalties.

The Murphy twins are about the Murphy twins.  Lot's of self promotion, etc.  Not my style, but many choose that route today, so we will see if they can compete at that level or if they will be served a little humble pie.

Bennett wants, as do all coaches, players that put the team first, play smart, etc.  Time will tell who benefits the most.

Funny how the twins became .8900 level recruits all of a sudden.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I enjoyed the twins while they were here but at times their play was so frustrating with the stupid penalties.

The Murphy twins are about the Murphy twins.  Lot's of self promotion, etc.  Not my style, but many choose that route today, so we will see if they can compete at that level or if they will be served a little humble pie.

Bennett wants, as do all coaches, players that put the team first, play smart, etc.  Time will tell who benefits the most.

Funny how the twins became .8900 level recruits all of a sudden.

Humm....Bennett glad they are gone, UCLA glad to have them. 

Who should we believe?  I guess we'll find out in the Fall.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

If that's the case he's an idiot.

Peanut I've watched college ball for 50+years  and I had a conversation with a previous coach and commented about losing a guy ( the coach said this ADDITION BY SUBTRACTION) in other words making one great play and then missing 4-5 straight assignments. I hope the change of scenery is good for them helps them by playing with more discipline. It's sort of like a basketball player scoring 20points and giving up 30 on defense.

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

1.If they were "pushed out", they're not landing at a P5.   

2.The truth is, they performed at a very high level here (and yes, there were some very dumb penalties too), and saw an opportunity... and they took it instead of hanging around here.

3.If they were so terrible and such a drain on our defense, why did they start every game last year?   Because despite the inconsistent focus, they provided an incredible spark with everything else they were doing.  Otherwise, Bennett would have benched them for being too detrimental.

1. Is that because P5s never make a mistake or because they never fall for hype?

2.Big ME, little team

3.Who would have started in their place? Bennett said himself we lacked depth. Kropp will be a force once he gets good weight on but he wasn’t big enough yet last season. Kam Hill was a nice backup from FCS but not a FBS playmaker. My hope is Trieb and a bulked up Kropp make everyone forget the Murphs.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

Phil Bennett coaches tough but his players love him. Some kids can handle tough coaching, others break down and leave. We will miss their production, but not the baggage that came with it. If they're trying to change the losing culture, then we should welcome this move. If it doesn't work out, our next HC and DC will be recruiting more DEs.

• Upvote 7