Hope Trautwein living out dream with OU softball after North Texas struggles

Hope Trautwein sat on her bed in Denton, Texas, with a notepad, penning a list of her dream schools.

Nearly 45 minutes earlier, the then-senior announced she was searching for a new home via the NCAA Transfer Portal. After receiving emails and calls from Power Five schools across the nation, including UCLA, Texas, Oklahoma State, Alabama, Florida and Georgia, the former North Texas star felt her phone buzz in her pocket.

Out of high school, Trautwein wasn’t highly sought after by top-end Division I programs. North Texas was one of the only decently-sized schools to give the star-studded pitcher an offer. Fast forward five years, and Trautwein became the hottest pitching recruit in the portal. Overwhelmed by her options, the right-hander looked at the notification on her phone.

To her surprise, the buzz was an Instagram follow request from Oklahoma assistant coach JT Gasso. Immediately, she handed the phone to her Mean Green teammate Miranda Holguin.

“Oh my gosh!” Trautwein exclaimed to Holguin in disbelief. “JT Gasso just followed me on Instagram!”

read more:  https://www.oudaily.com/sports/shes-just-shining-from-within-sooners-hope-trautwein-living-out-dream-with-ou-softball-after/article_01ab4bfc-9e33-11ec-b6e9-fb19c27f017e.html

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 3

Weird article and I am not going to blame Trautwein, because the article was so muddled; parts of it were just hard to comprehend. 

The writer's point is that Trautwein is just in softball heaven now, after escaping that dreadful North Texas situation. 

According to the writer, she is a much better place now and really enjoying playing at OU.  The #1 team in the country.

OU, the best softball program in the country is serving to demonstrate what is wrong with college athletes.  Just pick and chose a few choice transfers to insure dominance.  

I also question a NT player celebrating another NT player getting an offer from another school.  

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, untbowler said:

again she graduated from UNT and used the extra COVID year to play elsewhere and start Grad School, not sure why so many are getting their panties in a twist. Now as for the title of the post, that is just someone being a dickhead.

I agree with the first part of your article.  Good for her, move along and do your thing.

I also agree with your last sentence and the talks of it being a struggle for her at little ol' North Texas.  I think that is what has everyone wadded up.  I hope she gets the start in the circle for OU, our fans give her a standing ovation and then we rock her.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 5

42 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I agree with the first part of your article.  Good for her, move along and do you thing.

I also agree with your last sentence and the talks of it being a struggle for her at little ol' North Texas.  I think that is what has everyone wadded up.  I hope she gets the start in the circle for OU, our fans give her a standing ovation and then we rock her.

yup, only time I would not cheer for her success would be when she faces UNT

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

Funny how I don’t remember Hope being so distraught as the author of the article seems to indicate while she was at North Texas.  Honestly, every  DFW TV News outlet had a story & an interview on her no hitter along with all the strike outs & even the NBA Dallas Mavericks gave her a special night (see  below video).

Hope Trautwein was also getting national coverage & interviews (while playing for the UNT Mean Green by the way) on the Major League Baseball channel, too.  

What these small population states with small TV market college outposts should not forget is how there is almost an 8,000,000 population within an hour (+/-) of Denton in the 5 county North Texas Metroplex that when any Mean Green varsity team is “winning” (which is the key component) there are very many people who know about it as well as the stars of those apple green-clad teams.
••• Now if we can just get more of our alums &  fans to quit thinking they went to ISU (Inferior State U) & quit predicting doom, gloom & new jobs for any of our Coach’s (who do well in Denton) we will finally start getting ahead of the freakin’ curve up there at the top of the golden triangle.  

MLB Network interviews UNT’s Hope Trautwein

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1