PG Offer: Themus Fulks; Dodge City C.C.

You guys can be my guest and fire away but when does the recruiting tick up? 2 consecutive NCAA/NIT bids and we continue to go after/sign the same type guys. (As though the program has not had any success) 

Yes, the bar for me has risen but with a stronger bench, maybe we can advance the program even further. Without 2 buzzer beaters from Tylor Perry nor notable injuries/sickness this year, this could have been a .500 season. I don’t see this target as someone taking the program to the next level; to compete with SMU, TCU, UH or some other future AAC members. 

Hope the coaching staff doesn’t get complacent. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 7
  • Puking Eagle 1

47 minutes ago, Cooley said:

You guys can be my guest and fire away but when does the recruiting tick up? 2 consecutive NCAA/NIT bids and we continue to go after/sign the same type guys. (As though the program has not had any success) 

Yes, the bar for me has risen but with a stronger bench, maybe we can advance the program even further. Without 2 buzzer beaters from Tylor Perry nor notable injuries/sickness this year, this could have been a .500 season. I don’t see this target as someone taking the program to the next level; to compete with SMU, TCU, UH or some other future AAC members. 

Gotta agree. It's at least a little confusing.

1 hour ago, Cooley said:

this-is-not-the-time-or-the-place-this-i

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Cooley said:

What you qualify as an uptick in recruiting? Is it stars? Or is it that it appears as though we're "stealth" recruiting? I've been curious about it as well and I'm wondering what others think. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

What you qualify as an uptick in recruiting? Is it stars? Or is it that it appears as though we're "stealth" recruiting? I've been curious about it as well and I'm wondering what others think. 

Mainly guys that programs above us want. (I absolutely loathe that star system) No question the coaching staff have done a phenomenal job of identifying kids who needed some love. Dusting off others and selling an opportunity. Far too many, however, have been busts. 

I remain totally shocked at the success this team (this season) has had. I’m often bored with the style of play.  Crazy I know. How do you only play 7 guys the whole season? Collectively, I don’t think they are a talented group. At times, I think the 1975/1976 team would run them out of the gym, every night. 

This team, though, reminds me of that Texas Wesleyan squad that came into the Pit, with their deliberate pace, and beat Bill Blakeley. The AD was so impressed, he hired their coach (Tommy Newman) the next year. Newman was so slow paced, he passed on a committed Spud Webb; after taking the job. 

Back to the question. Tony Mitchell, Jordan Williams, Chris Davis and Kenneth Lyons types. There’s more talent locally than at any other time. SMU and TCU have been notorious for landing these guys that transfer back to the area. We now must think about beating Memphis, SMU and others. 

To be clear, I am as ecstatic with the job performance/results. Just don’t think we can sustain that success with a short bench and guys completely shunned coming out of the high school ranks. Again, not criticizing the coach. Somewhat surprised the success has not generated greater interest from higher regarded  recruits; after the team success.

Happy we offered Anthony Black early (Coppell/Duncanville) Hopefully, that caliber prospect will land in the program every once in a while 

Just my random thoughts

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cooley said:

Mainly guys that programs above us want. (I absolutely loathe that star system) No question the coaching staff have done a phenomenal job of identifying kids who needed some love. Dusting off others and selling an opportunity. Far too many, however, have been busts. 

I remain totally shocked at the success this team (this season) has had. I’m often bored with the style of play.  Crazy I know. How do you only play 7 guys the whole season? Collectively, I don’t think they are a talented group. At times, I think the 1975/1976 team would run them out of the gym, every night. 

This team, though, reminds me of that Texas Wesleyan squad that came into the Pit, with their deliberate pace, and beat Bill Blakeley. The AD was so impressed, he hired their coach (Tommy Newman) the next year. Newman was so slow paced, he passed on a committed Spud Webb; after taking the job. 

Back to the question. Tony Mitchell, Jordan Williams, Chris Davis and Kenneth Lyons types. There’s more talent locally than at any other time. SMU and TCU have been notorious for landing these guys that transfer back to the area. We now must think about beating Memphis, SMU and others. 

To be clear, I am as ecstatic with the job performance/results. Just don’t think we can sustain that success with a short bench and guys completely shunned coming out of the high school ranks. Again, not criticizing the coach. Somewhat surprised the success has not generated greater interest from higher regarded  recruits; after the team success.

Happy we offered Anthony Black early (Coppell/Duncanville) Hopefully, that caliber prospect will land in the program every once in a while 

Just my random thoughts

This is most-certainly NEW thread worthy.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Cooley said:

Just my random thoughts

Understood. I don't know much about UNT athletics pre 2008 (other than Leonard Hopkins who I briefly worked with a few years ago. Nice guy.) As such, I can't relate to the teams seen in the 70s. I will say 2 things. Guys like Tony Mitchell are great talents but can be hard to coach. I'm not sure that guy cared. Showing my youth here but I remember seeing him eating at Kerr regularly and he just did not look like an approachable guy. It was obvious to me he was at UNT because his school records messed up his Missouri plans. Can't speak for the others but seeing how Grant coaches and how can he can really drill into guys, he really needs to be selective and pick great characters as opposed to just great talents.

Regarding these recruits he is getting,  there's so many HS and JUCO programs that recruiting sites can't keep up. As such, 247 only has 8 JUCOs ranked for 2022. I researched this player and he actually graduated HS in 2019, averaged over 32 ppg and was a McDonald's All American nominee. He went to a secondary prep school for a year then went to South Carolina State before going JUCO. I don't know why he didn't get more interest in HS and isn't getting more now. One constant is he can score.

I do hope recruiting picks up a bit. I'm curious as to whether it's Grant being very selective or having a hard time recruiting.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Grant has indicated he wants winners more then star rankings when he recruits. I think this has shown and paid off

This system has worked well for us in CUSA.  He's also stated repeatedly that he wants a national championship ring.  He is gonna have to level up his game is some area, either recruiting or milking even more out of our current talent.

• Upvote 2

I am not questioning Mac's recruiting.  I have watched him recently bring in TBIII, Hamlet, Reese, Abou, Perry, Jones, McBride, Scott, etc.

I do hope we are targeting some big boys to  help out in the paint.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

4 posts in this thread about the actual recruit.  ...Who appears to be the exact kind of guy that McCasland has had immense success with over the past few years.

Not saying the other discussion isn't good... but it shouldn't be here.

The big question....is he left handed?

• Upvote 1

The first stat I looked at was his FT %. 78% on 184 FTs in 33 games (about 5.5 per game). I've seen a very small amount of video but it seems he likes getting to the rim which would explain his free throw totals. He also finishes through contact and gets those and-1 opportunities. He does a good job at finding the open man under the basket when the defense crashes on him as well which is reflected in his 5.5 assists per game. In those 33 games, he shot right around 10 2-point shots per game and shoots 52% on his field goals.

Hopefully he can beat defenders at this level and wreck havoc driving to the basket. In the highlights I saw, he gets out in transition in a hurry. The question I have is, can he shoot or does he depend on getting to the rim. If he can't get to the rim, what does his game look like? He shot 40% from 3 but shot just over 1 per game...

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Cooley said:

Just my random thoughts

I think we would all love to get those type of top area recruits but those are usually not the type that want to play in this type of slow down, defense first system. I think you saw that with Woolridge and Gibson leaving to go to programs that play more pro style offenses that would showcase their talents.  Now maybe if we could get those type of athletes Grant would change. Interesting question. I just think it would be really hard to convince a top HS player to come play in our current system. I really wish you hadn't mentioned Tommy Newman and Spud Webb thing.  I was just starting to get over that! 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

so because Coach MC recruits players to fit his system and NOT square pegs to fit into round holes, it is bad? He just won 25 games in a season had a 15 game win streak, team leads the nation in defense. I think I will trust Coaching Staff on their picks, especially considering the vast majority expected this to be a rebuilding year. Stars mean nothing if they are not team players and don't buy into the system.

Edited by untbowler
  • Upvote 6

• 3 months later...