Jump to content

Jace Ruder taking lead so far this spring


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

SSSHHH.  It doesn't fit the "Hate Littrell" mantra.

I agree with your comment 100%.  It is ridiculous to call this young man a dud because he had a rough start.  He should have never been rushed in to the starting position last year.  Hindsight being 20/20, Aune should have started the year considering he spent the entire off season working with our WR's and we should have brought Ruder along giving him playing time as the season progressed.  Unfortunately, SL has never been one to do that,

Right. Ruder probably didn’t need to start so early this past season. SL was hoping to strike lightning in a bottle, again. Ruder’s story is different. Time will tell. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

And then he lost the #2 slot to a younger player who is not yet a Heisman candidate.

I think I understand, but what is your point?  If the #2 turns into a Heisman Candidate down the line then we’re good?  Or if he doesn’t, then we’re doomed?  

Ruder losing a spot to an underclassman at UNC doesn’t mean he can’t be a great player for UNT.  
 

 

Edited by Glory to the Green
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

I think I understand, but what is your point?  If the #2 turns into a Heisman Candidate down the line then we’re good?  Or if he doesn’t, then we’re doomed?  

Ruder losing a spot to an underclassman at UNC doesn’t mean he can’t be a great player for UNT.  
 

 

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b1xnr05miq2zeuejdo7w

Clarify this statement please. 
What it looks like you're saying is that because he was 3rd string at big-bad-P5 UNC, he should be able to tear it up at little ol' UNT.   
And time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time...
We've seen that is just simply not the case.

  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b1xnr05miq2zeuejdo7w

Clarify this statement please. 
What it looks like you're saying is that because he was 3rd string at big-bad-P5 UNC, he should be able to tear it up at little ol' UNT.   
And time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time...
We've seen that is just simply not the case.

That’s kind of what I’m saying, but I don’t see us as “little ol’ UNT”. 

Just because he got beat out does not mean he lacks the ability. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Playing behind a NFL level QB.  Joe Burrow rode the pine at Ohio State.  Bet LSU is glad they didn't share the same attitude.

Now, if Aune was an NFL level QB, I'd go with that.

But he got benched for Aune, not Burrow. That's about as black and white as a players competency can get.

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

That’s kind of what I’m saying, but I don’t see us as “little ol’ UNT”. 

Just because he got beat out does not mean he lacks the ability. 

What I'm saying though, is that if he gets beat out at UNC, he's likely going to get beat out here as well.   

Ability or not, something would have to fundamentally change in order for him to beat out Aune, and apparently now Earle & Head.

You don't just "drop down" to UNT, keep doing the same things, and expect to walk into a starting role.  It has proven over & over not to work that way.   And honestly, it proved itself with Ruder himself last season!

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

What I'm saying though, is that if he gets beat out at UNC, he's likely going to get beat out here as well.   

Ability or not, something would have to fundamentally change in order for him to beat out Aune, and apparently now Earle & Head.

You don't just "drop down" to UNT, keep doing the same things, and expect to walk into a starting role.  It has proven over & over not to work that way.   And honestly, it proved itself with Ruder himself last season!

We’ll see if he gets beat out here, or if he separates himself from the other QB’s. I don’t think what we saw last fall is all that he has to offer. If after a full off season here, he has the same struggles as in the Fall of 2021, then I’d see your point. I think he has potential, but of course, he has to capitalize if given another opportunity to play. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Udomann said:

Now, if Aune was an NFL level QB, I'd go with that.

But he got benched for Aune, not Burrow. That's about as black and white as a players competency can get.

My point was that a number of players get recruited and have to sit early behind someone else.  Burrow just came to mind.  It doesn't make them a failure.  It is what it is and sometimes a change of scenery works out, sometimes it doesn't.  Calling this young man a failure because he was injured at UNC, sat behind Howell, transferred to UNT, arrived roughly 4 weeks before the season began, was pushed in to the starter role and didn't perform to expectation is a little over the top in my opinion.

I must admit that with SL's resume when he arrived, his mismanagement of the QB room has been surprising to me.  He caught lightening in a bottle with Fine and has found that magic since.  Martin was never given a chance.  Aune, after a fairly good first season starting, spent the summer working with his WR's and TE's only to see all of that work ignored when Ruder arrived and was handed the keys to the offense only to struggle early on.  I firmly believe that this hurt the confidence of both Aune and Ruder as was indicative by their performance last year.  I was honestly shocked Aune decided to return this year after all of that.

For the sake of NT football, I hope SL gets it right this year.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

My point was that a number of players get recruited and have to sit early behind someone else.  Burrow just came to mind.  It doesn't make them a failure.  It is what it is and sometimes a change of scenery works out, sometimes it doesn't.  Calling this young man a failure because he was injured at UNC, sat behind Howell, transferred to UNT, arrived roughly 4 weeks before the season began, was pushed in to the starter role and didn't perform to expectation is a little over the top in my opinion.

I must admit that with SL's resume when he arrived, his mismanagement of the QB room has been surprising to me.  He caught lightening in a bottle with Fine and has found that magic since.  Martin was never given a chance.  Aune, after a fairly good first season starting, spent the summer working with his WR's and TE's only to see all of that work ignored when Ruder arrived and was handed the keys to the offense only to struggle early on.  I firmly believe that this hurt the confidence of both Aune and Ruder as was indicative by their performance last year.  I was honestly shocked Aune decided to return this year after all of that.

For the sake of NT football, I hope SL gets it right this year.

Credibility wise, he's hanging on by a thread..........depending on who you are talking with.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I must admit that with SL's resume when he arrived, his mismanagement of the QB room has been surprising to me.  He caught lightening in a bottle with Fine and has found that magic since.  Martin was never given a chance.  Aune, after a fairly good first season starting, spent the summer working with his WR's and TE's only to see all of that work ignored when Ruder arrived and was handed the keys to the offense only to struggle early on.  I firmly believe that this hurt the confidence of both Aune and Ruder as was indicative by their performance last year.  I was honestly shocked Aune decided to return this year after all of that.

For the sake of NT football, I hope SL gets it right this year.

Points that everyone here can agree on. The leadership in that room from SL down has been non-existent since we lost Fine/Graham. Maybe someone does catch fire. I hope so.

Either way, going to watch that ship sail or go down in flames every game!

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

No. I think he was rushed into the starting position last year. Yes, that pass looked 1000% better than any of his previous passes, but I also don’t think talent evaluators whiffed on his 4 star rating either. 

I thought 247 ratings didn't matter?

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

I thought 247 ratings didn't matter?

I know where you are going and actually, my original statement was towards Rivals.com as I watched players ratings increase or decrease depending on where they committed.  I have found the 247 composite rating to be more reliable, but it, like any rating system isn't 100% accurate. 

I still prefer to look back and rate a class 4 years from signing date.  Then again, this isn't perfect either when you take into account injuries, etc. but it will give a better snapshot of an individual/class's success.

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

Just because he got beat out does not mean he lacks the ability. 

I thought that is exactly what it means. If you get beat out, you don’t have as great an ability as your competition. But I guess you are trying to say that being a backup at UNC makes you starter worthy at UNT. Just like the backups we got from Alabama, Kansas, and Louisville. Hell, our backup was a starter at Kansas this season.

Edit: I want to make one thing clear for those in the Ruder camp. I don’t dislike Jace, actually, I WANT him to succeed because he seems to have a great arm. What I do dislike is when people want to use Sam Howell and North Carolina as some justification to be the starter at North Texas. @NWKGREENI like your son, I really do. I want him to succeed but I want him to earn it at North Texas (as I hope you do too) and not have it handed to him based on some 247 rating or prior stint at a P5.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Pissed 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will say this, from sitting 2 rows up at the bowl game at the 45, Ruder throws a prettier ball in warmups than Aune or Martin and it isn’t even close. I hope that will translate to success on the field but it hasn’t yet.

The thing that drives me crazy is when folks claim that what school you transferred from or who you couldn’t beat out for a starting job makes you somehow more qualified than other quarterbacks that we have available. I don’t want to hear any hot air about Sam Howell and his failed Heisman campaign. Show me on the field or stop talking.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I thought that is exactly what it means. If you get beat out, you don’t have as great an ability as your competition. But I guess you are trying to say that being a backup at UNC makes you starter worthy at UNT. Just like the backups we got from Alabama, Kansas, and Louisville. Hell, our backup was a starter at Kansas this season.

Edit: I want to make one thing clear for those in the Ruder camp. I don’t dislike Jace, actually, I WANT him to succeed because he seems to have a great arm. What I do dislike is when people want to use Sam Howell and North Carolina as some justification to be the starter at North Texas. @NWKGREENI like your son, I really do. I want him to succeed but I want him to earn it at North Texas (as I hope you do too) and not have it handed to him based on some 247 rating or prior stint at a P5.

I guess we’ll disagree on this.  I initially took issue with another poster calling Ruder a “dud”.  I’m not in that camp. 

I’m also not sure if Ruder will win the job, but I’m not ready to give up on him.  I don’t think I ever anointed him, but I am excited to see how well he does with a full year being on campus. 

Edited by Glory to the Green
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I guess we’ll disagree on this.  I initially took issue with another poster calling Ruder a “dud”.  I’m not sure if that’s the camp you’re in.

I’m also not sure if Ruder will win the job, but I’m not ready to give up on him.  I don’t think I ever anointed him, but I am excited to see how well he does with a full year being on campus. 

"Dud" isn't my camp either.   That might fit for a lot of the other guys brought in here though.
For Ruder, something is there.  He's gotta figure it out though. 
Unfortunately, I'm not sure he has the proper coaching to be as successful as he could be here, so if he does figure it out, it's going to be on his own.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I guess we’ll disagree on this.  I initially took issue with another poster calling Ruder a “dud”.  I’m not sure if that’s the camp you’re in.

I’m also not sure if Ruder will win the job, but I’m not ready to give up on him.  I don’t think I ever anointed him, but I am excited to see how well he does with a full year being on campus. 

I think it is way too early to call him a dud. Give him the chance to earn it but don’t point to Sam Howell or UNC as justification that he should get the job. Does being a starter at ACU or starting a couple of games at LaTech make you more qualified than being a backup at UNC? We won’t know for at least 6 or 7 months until we are a few games into the 2022 season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Coach Andy Mac changed the title to Jace Ruder taking lead so far this spring

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.