Jace Ruder taking lead so far this spring

Dannymacfan

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2022 at 1:21 AM, 97and03 said:

We might be in for a long season, but the only people comparing our QB room to the MiniMac/Greer era are drama queens that only know how to speak in hyperbole. 

If those guys were allowed as many pass attempts as the current QBs were they would have similarly bad numbers.   There were a lot of holes on that team and problems at QB as always just appear larger than they actually are.  I believe the post- Fine QB play has let this team down just as much as MiniMac/Greer did their teams.  I just think the mismatch personnel and conflicting offensive philosophies of that team hampered MiniMac/Greer more.  I also think MiniMac/Greer would have had to play much better than Aune did last year to get that team to 6-6.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

7 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

You can’t be serious. The 2014 team still had a fantastic defense, a good running game, and some pretty good receivers. We were an average FBS quarterback away from another bowl game. Do you seriously think more pass attempts would’ve improved McNulty’s 6 touchdown to 7 interception performance in 2014? Last season was statistically Aune’s worst season as a starter and his quarterback rating is still better than any season McNulty or Greer had in their career at UNT. I still don’t see how you can put Mini Mac above Aune on any planet. Your present anger is clouding your memory. 

Relative to their teams I think they were on par with each other.  NEVER said I thought MiniMac/Greer were better.  I just talent they face on opposing teams in the post Fine era is better.  

Fantastic Defense?  Let me tell list the teams the FBS level teams fantastic defense held under 30 in 2014.  The year before they stopped trying for coach Mac:  FIU, FAU, SMU.  SMU went 1-11 that year and Head Coach June Jones resigned the week after we beat them. 😂  

Pretty Good receivers?  Carlos Harris the best WR on that team doesn’t start here today or in 2021.   All the WR on that team that could actually play were on the small side, especially when playing a pro style offense where DB get to press receivers more often And with his attitude towards the end I am not sure he doesn’t get kicked off these Seth era teams with deeper WR talent.

The 2014 was only competitive in 3 losses poor or mediocre team.

I think you guys are getting confused.  That 2013 HOD Bowl team was lead by seniors that maximized every drop of talent they had I believe.  They were gone when McNulty started in 2014.  Thompson started in 2013

I absolutely believe if McNutly had played in the spread offense in 2014 and that what coached in 2013 also he would just as capable of throwing 50%-55% completions  with 1-1 TD to INT ratio on his 2014 team against the competition they played that year.   Because essentially that is what he did  in 2014.   🤪🤣😂

Memories fade, numbers don’t.  Go look up that 2014 team.  Talent poor and leaderless from a player standpoint.   

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

3 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Relative to their teams I think they were on par with each other.  NEVER said I thought MiniMac/Greer were better.  I just talent they face on opposing teams in the post Fine era is better.  

Fantastic Defense?  Let me tell list the teams the FBS level teams fantastic defense held under 30 in 2014.  The year before they stopped trying for coach Mac:  FIU, FAU, SMU.  SMU went 1-11 that year and Head Coach June Jones resigned the week after we beat them. 😂  

Pretty Good receivers?  Carlos Harris the best WR on that team doesn’t start here today or in 2021.   All the WR on that team that could actually play were on the small side, especially when playing a pro style offense where DB get to press receivers more often And with his attitude towards the end I am not sure he doesn’t get kicked off these Seth era teams with deeper WR talent.

The 2014 was only competitive in 3 losses poor or mediocre team.

I think you guys are getting confused.  That 2013 HOD Bowl team was lead by seniors that maximized every drop of talent they had I believe.  They were gone when McNulty started in 2014.  Thompson started in 2013

I absolutely believe if McNutly had played in the spread offense in 2014 and that what coached in 2013 also he would just as capable of throwing 50%-55% completions  with 1-1 TD to INT ratio on his 2014 team against the competition they played that year.   Because essentially that is what he did  in 2014.   🤪🤣😂

Memories fade, numbers don’t.  Go look up that 2014 team.  Talent poor and leaderless from a player standpoint.   

That defense ended the careers of June Jones and David Ash. The defense was the only part of our team to score on Texas. They wore down as the season progressed because they were on the field WAY too much due to PATHETIC quarterback play.

The defense held Texas to 4 of 15 on 3rd downs, forced and recovered two fumbles, and scored our only points of the game despite having to be on the field for 74 plays and nearly 5 minutes more than our offense. Our offense committed 4 turnovers and punted 9 times. Our defense played well. Derek Akunne, Fred Scott, James Jones, Kenny Buyers, Lairamie Lee, all these guys could play. The following week they held SMU to under 280 total yards and forced 5 turnovers. The following week against LaTech, the offense had 6 straight 3 and outs to start the game. The defense still made a great effort to start the game holding LT without points on their first 4 drives but they eventually wore down. It had to be very defeating to them knowing the offense couldn’t contribute a single first down in that same 4 drive timeframe. This was the beginning of the end and why I think Skladany quit at the end of the season. His defense was doing everything right but for nothing. They were banging their head against the wall and they were beaten til they lost their drive.

Also, Darvin Kidsy was a NFL-level receiver and Darius Terrell had NFL size. Marcus Smith was also a good tight end.

Our running back room of Pegram, Jimmerson, and Wilson was also not a hinderance to our success.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

That defense ended the careers of June Jones and David Ash. The defense was the only part of our team to score on Texas. They wore down as the season progressed because they were on the field WAY too much due to PATHETIC quarterback play.

The defense held Texas to 4 of 15 on 3rd downs, forced and recovered two fumbles, and scored our only points of the game despite having to be on the field for 74 plays and nearly 5 minutes more than our offense. Our offense committed 4 turnovers and punted 9 times. Our defense played well. Derek Akunne, Fred Scott, James Jones, Kenny Buyers, Lairamie Lee, all these guys could play. The following week they held SMU to under 280 total yards and forced 5 turnovers. The following week against LaTech, the offense had 6 straight 3 and outs to start the game. The defense still made a great effort to start the game holding LT without points on their first 4 drives but they eventually wore down. It had to be very defeating to them knowing the offense couldn’t contribute a single first down in that same 4 drive timeframe. This was the beginning of the end and why I think Skladany quit at the end of the season. His defense was doing everything right but for nothing. They were banging their head against the wall and they were beaten til they lost their drive.

Also, Darvin Kidsy was a NFL-level receiver and Darius Terrell had NFL size. Marcus Smith was also a good tight end.

Our running back room of Pegram, Jimmerson, and Wilson was also not a hinderance to our success.

How could anyone forget the performance at Georgia that year? That HoD Bowl team was legite.  One of the best UNT teams I’ve seen with my own 2 eyeballs dating back to the SBC glory days. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

How could anyone forget the performance at Georgia that year? That HoD Bowl team was legite.  One of the best UNT teams I’ve seen with my own 2 eyeballs dating back to the SBC glory days. 

That was 2013. I was making the case that our 2014 defense was pretty darn good too until our poor quarterback play killed their motivation.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

That win over the Univ of Indiana at Apogee was sure nice.  My memory is foggy…..who was our QB for that game?  McCarney was coaching, correct?

2011. Derek Thompson threw 3 touchdowns to just 1 interception. Lance Dunbar went off that game.

In the 2014 game we got thumped at their place with Thrilly D at quarterback. Jimmerson had a decent day running the ball.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

On 4/18/2022 at 6:55 PM, Cr1028 said:

I didn’t say the defense was bad but you can’t give up +30 point average and call them great.  They were decent.  June Jones was on his way out anyway.  I agree they were on the field too much.  But in general that team’s talent level was poor vs competition and the offensive coaching was directionless.

On 4/18/2022 at 10:39 PM, Cr1028 said:

That was 2013. I was making the case that our 2014 defense was pretty darn good too until our poor quarterback play killed their motivation.

Exactly what it was. Go back and watch the UT game... solid play by the D until they realized there is no way this offense can put together a scoring drive.  

We ranked #89 in Total Defense that year which easily could have been top 50 had we had an offense that wasn't just a three and out. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/sp/overalldef/2014

This one says we were #17

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/2014/team/22

This one #43

http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category10/sort01.html

Let us put to rest any bullshit about the North Texas Defense in 2014 being an issue.

• Upvote 1

On 4/25/2022 at 8:52 AM, texx2818 said:

Correct. 13 and 14 had great defenses, Skladany was a wizard. McCarney could’ve easily been a legend here and retired had he laid off the booze and stopped trying to push his buddy’s son as QB. He also ruined Dajon Williams’ career IMO. Mac was never the same after his heart attack. He had severe tremors and couldn’t string together a sentence, plus was addicted to the Goose. Sad situation all around IMO.

He wasn’t a good recruiter but the emphasis he placed on strength and conditioning turned Dodge’s small players into FBS level guys. I remember in 2010 the team looked hilariously small even compared to Rice and by 2011 we were bigger than Indiana.

I will always look back on the Mac years fondly.

That 2014 defense wasn’t great.  I like the Mac years except the end.    I am dumbfounded by people calling that 2014 defense great.  Unless that offense averaging a pick 6 or fumble return for TD each game no way you convince me that call a defense giving up 30+ a game vs a weak schedule “great”.  Adequate, coached well and leaned on too much certainly, great absolutely not.  Green tinted glasses looking back on 2014 defense.  The defense was better than MiniMac and the offense but that isn’t saying much.

51 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

That 2014 defense wasn’t great.  I like the Mac years except the end.    I am dumbfounded by people calling that 2014 defense great.  Unless that offense averaging a pick 6 or fumble return for TD each game no way you convince me that call a defense giving up 30+ a game vs a weak schedule “great”.  Adequate, coached well and leaned on too much certainly, great absolutely not.  Green tinted glasses looking back on 2014 defense.  The defense was better than MiniMac and the offense but that isn’t saying much.

Against Texas our quarterbacks completed 3 passes to our own team and 4 passes to the other team, how do you keep fighting as a defense when facing odds like that? It is like trying to fill a cup with no bottom. 

If DT is our quarterback in 2014, we have have a top 50 defense without question.

Edited by Cr1028

7 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Against Texas our quarterbacks completed 3 passes to our own team and 4 passes to the other team, how do you keep fighting as a defense when facing odds like that? It is like trying to fill a cup with no bottom.

That was against Texas, a team under normal circumstances we have no shot to beat.  And yes defense played well that game but, I am talking about the season as a whole.  They weren't playing the likes of Texas every week.  You can't cherry pick 1 or 2 games that season and call Offense, Defense or Special Teams great.  They had an awful record against weak competition that year and defense averaged giving up 30+ points a game.  Texas did not break 40 that game. It was Indiana & UAB that blew the doors off points wise.  Indiana was 4-8 and UAB was 6-6.  Neither went to a bowl game and UAB shutdown their program for 2015.  (This was UAB's first season at 0.500 or better in a decade). The only thing you could legitimately say about that defense is they had the POTENTIAL to be great.  Definitely probably adequate enough to get that team to 6-6 with adequate QB play (+200 yards, 20 completions, 60% completion, 5/3 TD to Int ratio).  So no squad on that team could be call great.  

But like I said before this was not meant in anyway as a defense for MiniMac or criticism for Aune/Ruder.  They all are the close to same level of bad in comparison to their teamates and opponent of their time periods.  Aune might be a little better when compared to his contempories than MiniMac was but not much.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 4 months later...
On 3/7/2022 at 2:58 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

"Dud" isn't my camp either.   That might fit for a lot of the other guys brought in here though.
For Ruder, something is there.  He's gotta figure it out though. 
Unfortunately, I'm not sure he has the proper coaching to be as successful as he could be here, so if he does figure it out, it's going to be on his own.

On 3/8/2022 at 2:11 AM, peanuts104 said:

I got a pro tip, get some defenders in Ruder's face during practice. Actual linebackers and DLs.

On 3/8/2022 at 2:11 AM, peanuts104 said:

I got a pro tip, get some defenders in Ruder's face during practice. Actual linebackers and DLs.

Pro Tip, they already do that in practice..

On 3/7/2022 at 2:58 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

"Dud" isn't my camp either.   That might fit for a lot of the other guys brought in here though.
For Ruder, something is there.  He's gotta figure it out though. 
Unfortunately, I'm not sure he has the proper coaching to be as successful as he could be here, so if he does figure it out, it's going to be on his own.

With no communication between coaches and players... it's nearly impossible to be coached well. You are so right. He will have the figure it out on his own and actually have coaches to support him along with the rest of the team. A team is only has good as the way they are lead...

Also when all is said and done, you could have the best QB in the nation and not have any other kind of depth on the team and that QB would look terrible. Maybe reconstruction is needed. Honestly, this is a lot deeper than who the QB is.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Fan10 said:

With no communication between coaches and players... it's nearly impossible to be coached well. You are so right. He will have the figure it out on his own and actually have coaches to support him along with the rest of the team. A team is only has good as the way they are lead...

Also when all is said and done, you could have the best QB in the nation and not have any other kind of depth on the team and that QB would look terrible. Maybe reconstruction is needed. Honestly, this is a lot deeper than who the QB is.

I mean if this is happening like you say and I do believe you Wren really needs to step up here and get involved.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Fan10 said:

Expand on "no communication between coaches and players..."

You just showed up a couple of hours ago and are making accusations about how this program is run that are pretty damning, if true.  What is your information source?  I would assume from your screenname and Ruder's number, that you are related in some way.

Edited by UNTLifer

Just now, UNTLifer said:

Expand on "no communication between coaches and players..."

You just showed up and are making accusations about how this program is run that are pretty damning, if true.  What is your information source?

Read between the lines Lifer.

No expansion necessary.   No further info necessary.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1