Jace Ruder taking lead so far this spring

Dannymacfan

3 hours ago, texx2818 said:

McNulty was bad but I feel like he was better than Aune. Maybe I have recency bias. Greer was easily the worst QB I have ever see play at UNT though.

Greer had no reason playing D1 football. I had a friend who said he was shocked to see him actually playing at the D1 level.

But Aune is still better than McNulty. McNulty wasn't gonna get a good pass off to Brown in the UTEP game that won us the game.

In NO WAY am I an Aune supporter, however...

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

The talent is there. I don't know what went cataclysmically wrong with his confidence last year. Maybe it was the slow ass tempo. I don't know. 

I'm not particularly interested in getting excited for another 1-6 start and another bowl loss and another season of getting smacked around by rival schools. If Ruder is the guy he has to be THE guy.

• Thanks 1

Someone who went to practice/scrimmages please give us the Stone Earle low down ( @SilverEagle). Can he be ready in Fall camp to unseat Aune/Ruder? His D1AA completion percentage gives me hope and on film he looks like a gamer.

Also - I’m not out on Ruder. Think he has talent to win the job - see SMU game before Bush got taken out - but after the full year of “performance” at QB last year, I’m just skeptical across the board. Just mediocre at that position this next year and I think we win 7 at the floor. 

10 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

Someone who went to practice/scrimmages please give us the Stone Earle low down ( @SilverEagle). Can he be ready in Fall camp to unseat Aune/Ruder? His D1AA completion percentage gives me hope and on film he looks like a gamer.

Also - I’m not out on Ruder. Think he has talent to win the job - see SMU game before Bush got taken out - but after the full year of “performance” at QB last year, I’m just skeptical across the board. Just mediocre at that position this next year and I think we win 7 at the floor. 

Heck, I'd like to see @Brett Vito write an in depth article on where each quarterback, Aune, Ruder, Head and Stone, sit as spring practice wraps up.  This has been the quietest spring, from a news stand point, in ages.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

I can't add too much from what I've already observed. He's athletic. He has a strong arm and a pretty quick release. He's pretty confident (not Mason Fine confident, but not too far away). He's decisive. He doesn't do the happy feet dance before he runs, he just takes off. When he misfires on a pass it's usually an overthrow, or the receiver drops it. I met his parents this last Saturday.

His dad (John) is a former NFL player who does prison ministry. Here is his wiki page.....John Earle (American football) Wiki (everipedia.org) His personality seems to match his size. Both parents said that the main reason for their son leaving ACU for NT was the coaching staff at ACU getting fired.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Heck, I'd like to see @Brett Vito write an in depth article on where each quarterback, Aune, Ruder, Head and Stone, sit as spring fall practice wraps up.  This has been the quietest spring, from a news stand point, in ages.

FIFY otherwise Vito won't know what you're talking about.

3 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

I can't add too much from what I've already observed. He's athletic. He has a strong arm and a pretty quick release. He's pretty confident (not Mason Fine confident, but not too far away). He's decisive. He doesn't do the happy feet dance before he runs, he just takes off. When he misfires on a pass it's usually an overthrow, or the receiver drops it. I met his parents this last Saturday.

His dad (John) is a former NFL player who does prison ministry. Here is his wiki page.....John Earle (American football) Wiki (everipedia.org) His personality seems to match his size. Both parents said that the main reason for their son leaving ACU for NT was the coaching staff at ACU getting fired.

Rumor has it that John recently had a birthday.  Can you confirm this?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

Can someone explain why the excitement for Earle? I've only seen his highlights and his stats, which are good, but nothing special. Especially considering he was at ACU.  Not saying he can't be good or push to start, but why do some expect good things from him?

Thank you.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

On 4/6/2022 at 5:51 AM, southsideguy said:

if we are comparing out QBS to Mini Mac we are in for a long season.

We might be in for a long season, but the only people comparing our QB room to the MiniMac/Greer era are drama queens that only know how to speak in hyperbole. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 97and03 said:

We might be in for a long season, but the only people comparing our QB room to the MiniMac/Greer era are drama queens that only know how to speak in hyperbole. 

Homer Simpson Hello GIF by FOX TV

To be fair, I think all our QB's are better than Greer, because he might possibly be the worst QB I've ever seen during my UNT fandom.

Mini-Mac was serviceable to mediocre. Much like Aune

All of our QB's have regressed since Harrell left, and now we have a career OL coach teaching them how to QB good. I was team Aune in 2020 when it was between him and Bean, and he's somehow gotten worse. 

All I'm saying is Littrell has his guy, and he's sticking to him, much like Grey Goose stuck with McNuggets. I just want to win either way so I'm hoping all of our QB's somehow make a massive leap with a QB coach with no QB coaching experience. Isn't the offseason fun?

Trailer Park Boys Drink GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

14 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

but why do some expect good things from him?

It has to be the mixture of hoping to find an under-estimated guy like Fine and the prospect of a Bailey Zappe type guy moving up from Texas FCS level. It is hopeful fandom. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Mini-Mac was serviceable to mediocre. Much like Aune

Aune's a step or two above that.  I've seen both (I'm sure you have too) and I personally think Aune would be fine if coached up correctly and put in a position to succeed.  I dont' feel the same way about Mini-Mac.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

It has to be the mixture of hoping to find an under-estimated guy like Fine and the prospect of a Bailey Zappe type guy moving up from Texas FCS level. It is hopeful fandom. 

I think it goes beyond just hopeful fandom. Given his FCS numbers as essentially a redshirt freshman, then when you factor in a reasonable progression arc of a Division 1 QB, it’s really not that hard to see him becoming a serviceable FBS QB. Not to mention he beat out an Iowa transfer for a starting job so he has proved himself compared to an FBS QB.

The starting point is tangible enough that it’s not blind conjecture.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

The starting point is tangible enough that it’s not blind conjecture.

Definitely agree - much like Fine ripped up his level of competition in OK and Zappe was good in his career. It is not a complete diamond in the rough, but certainly the comparisons lead to the blind fandom part. I mean, in my inner-non-jaded fandom-self, I had the same mental conversations about Ruder. 

• Upvote 2