Jace Ruder taking lead so far this spring

Dannymacfan

On 3/15/2022 at 11:41 AM, SilverEagle said:

And here is who he had to "sling it" to....... 

Jaelon Darden - Football - University of North Texas Athletics (meangreensports.com)

Rico Bussey, Jr. - Football - University of North Texas Athletics (meangreensports.com)

Jalen Guyton - Football - University of North Texas Athletics (meangreensports.com)

Jason Pirtle - Football - University of North Texas Athletics (meangreensports.com)

Kelvin Smith - Football - University of North Texas Athletics (meangreensports.com)

Michael Lawrence - Football - University of North Texas Athletics (meangreensports.com)

I believe that three of these guys are playing pro football.  And (IMHO) one other (Smith) should be playing.

The much celebrated "drive" against UTSA is too often credited totally to Fine. But I regard it as the Fine-Lawrence-Bussy "drive".  The actual TD throw was to a spot, where Bussy was supposed to be, and WAS. He grabbed it out of the air (not a perfect throw) and did the rest with his running ability. BUT to get them to that place Lawrence made an even better catch.

On that drive Fine never flinched when he was about to get hit (especially that last throw), but like all great QB's he had a lot of talent to back him up. 

I didn't see that on last year's team. And it better get developed this year.

Is your memory okay? Fine was also behind terrible olines his entire time here.  The oline play for the past two years has been much better and the QBs still can't get the ball out. 

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

On 3/15/2022 at 9:50 AM, aztecskin said:

Jace Ruder is good at practice and that is good. We need someone or something to step up.

I want to see him not throw it into the stands. 

Throw+it+in+bounds.mp4

Fun fact: I almost got the ball with how crazy it bounced because I was sitting in the NT visitors section in that corner of the endzone 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 3/19/2022 at 8:53 AM, SilverEagle said:

And how about your eyesight. In the last two years, all of those throws that hit receivers in the hands (granted not that many) and chest and bounced right out. Not to mention all the times that the QB threw it one place and the receiver was somewhere else.  ALL of the above mentioned  Fine -era receivers had great hands and were great route runners.

Yeah, let us just ignore all the balls thrown way off target, even under minimal pressure. How do you know the route issues are on the receivers? They could have been miscommunicated by the QB or sideline. The issue isn't the receivers, it is the QBs and the QB room without an ACTUAL former QB as a coach, and no, Shanbour doesn't count.

Edit: Also, Guyton did NOT have good hands

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 3

12 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

The issue isn't the receivers, it is the QBs and the QB room without an ACTUAL former QB as a coach, and no, Shanbour doesn't count.

The season you are complaining about we had exactly what you want. 
https://uhcougars.com/sports/football/roster/blake-joseph/4089

You ignore that after game 3 we were down to our 4th best receiver. Also, Shanbour is a fantastic coach despite what you think. The quarterbacks will be better this year with Joseph out of the way.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

The season you are complaining about we had exactly what you want. 
https://uhcougars.com/sports/football/roster/blake-joseph/4089

You ignore that after game 3 we were down to our 4th best receiver. Also, Shanbour is a fantastic coach despite what you think. The quarterbacks will be better this year with Joseph out of the way.

Shanbour is that you?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, MeanGreen2019 said:

Shanbour is that you?

Haha you got me, I’ve been planning that post for over a decade. The quarterbacks were better in 2020 under Shanbour than they were in 2021 under Joseph. Shanbour has been tutored, mentored, and pushed to be a starting quarterback for many years. He didn’t have to the ability to put it together on the field like Mason Fine but he had the knowledge, no doubt about it. 

And my money is on the following being a member of the Shanbour family, which I am not.

I think I may have adopted him as a player, not real sure. I was one of the leaders of his fan club though as you’ll read in that thread.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Okay Dajon Williams

That’s Thrilly D. Williams to you. 
TPN5QPk.jpg

I think he could’ve been pretty good (much better than McNulty was) with the proper guidance on and off the field. He didn’t receive it and was cast aside in his 3rd game for making freshman mistakes while starting as a freshman. Every mistake he made was correctable and most were because he was trying to do too much. That is bad coaching, not a bad player, just an inexperienced player. I saw every one of those mistakes made by Sam Ehlinger while he was at Texas, every, single, one. He got coached out of it, not banished for life.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

On 3/15/2022 at 9:33 AM, MGNation92 said:

The sad reality is that I'd rather have McNulty over anything we've seen so far from this QB room.

Disqualified from further discussion regarding our QB situation.

The above opinion qualifies as a flagrant foul.

CLIPPERS: Gibson agrees Griffin's flagrant foul was an accident – Press  Enterprise

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Disqualified from further discussion regarding our QB situation.

The above opinion qualifies as a flagrant foul.

CLIPPERS: Gibson agrees Griffin's flagrant foul was an accident – Press  Enterprise

Austin Aune career completion rate: 52.8

Andrew McNulty career completion rate: 52.2

Aune just beats him by a hair but the point is they're both bad, and Seth is too stubborn to give someone else a shot regardless of how bad "his guy" is just like McCarney did with McNulty

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

28 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Austin Aune career completion rate: 52.8

Andrew McNulty career completion rate: 52.2

Aune just beats him by a hair but the point is they're both bad, and Seth is too stubborn to give someone else a shot regardless of how bad "his guy" is just like McCarney did with McNulty

Yes their completion percentages aren’t dramatically different but look deeper.

McNulty threw for 10 touchdowns in his 4 year career while throwing 15 interceptions with a 101.9 passer rating and a sad 5.8 yards per pass attempt.

Aune in year 3 has thrown 23 touchdowns to just 13 picks. His passer rating is 128.5 and his yards per attempt are 7.8, a full 2 yards per attempt more than McNulty.

Yea, yea, yea, but McNulty scored the first touchdown in Apogee on a run play. Ok, ok, lets look at rushing.

McNulty carried the ball 95 times for 92 yards and averaged just under one yard per carry while scoring 3 times in his 4-year career.

In 3 years Aune has rushed 107 times for 354 yards or roughly 3.3 yards per carry. He has scored 5 times.

McNulty was 2-10 as a starter. Aune is 5-5 as a starter (excluding bowls).

Please tell me again why you’d prefer McNulty? 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Yea, yea, yea, but McNulty scored the first touchdown in Apogee on a run play. Ok, ok, lets look at rushing.

This has always bothered me.  My take is that this was done by McCarney for his friend.  If I was Thompson, I would have been pissed.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

46 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

This has always bothered me.  My take is that this was done by McCarney for his friend.  If I was Thompson, I would have been pissed.

It should bother you. It didn’t bother me at the time because somehow I got the impression (I think that is how they sold him to us) that McNulty was a dual threat type but once DT graduated and I saw the full picture of the nepotism, then it began to bother me.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

That’s Thrilly D. Williams to you. 
TPN5QPk.jpg

I think he could’ve been pretty good (much better than McNulty was) with the proper guidance on and off the field. He didn’t receive it and was cast aside in his 3rd game for making freshman mistakes while starting as a freshman. Every mistake he made was correctable and most were because he was trying to do too much. That is bad coaching, not a bad player, just an inexperienced player. I saw every one of those mistakes made by Sam Ehlinger while he was at Texas, every, single, one. He got coached out of it, not banished for life.

What Jr College was UAB playing in that game?  I couldn’t recognized the team they were playing.

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NT93 said:

Aune is frustrating to watch.  McNulty was painful to watch.

McNulty and Greer orchestrated the absolute worst quarterbacking performance I have seen at any level of football against Texas on opening day 2014. They combined to go 3 of 17 for 15 yards and 4 picks. QBR below 0.2.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1