Jace Ruder taking lead so far this spring

Dannymacfan

Has Littrell made any comments about the QB situation?  Many comments here are making it seem as if we have an open competition and I guess I just assumed that wouldn't be the case unless someone was so much better than Aune in practices that the coaches couldn't ignore it.

Edited by UNT18Grad
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNT18Grad said:

Has Littrell made any comments about the QB situation?  Many comments here are making it seem as if we have an open competition and I guess I just assumed that wouldn't be the case unless someone was so much better than Aune in practices that the coaches couldn't ignore it.

You don’t bring in 2 transfer quarterbacks to compete if there is no competition.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, edcollopy said:

Just find someone that can complete a high percentage, keep chains moving, and can be a threat to run!  We're not asking for much are we??

Apparently we are, because we haven't had that since Fine left, and we really didn't have it prior to Fine's arrival (sans a Senior-year DT that put it all together).

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Apparently we are, because we haven't had that since Fine left, and we really didn't have it prior to Fine's arrival (sans a Senior-year DT that put it all together).

Riley Dodge completed 67.7 percent of his passes and averaged 4.5 yards per carry in 2009.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

And if the one media guy that covers his team asks him any question whatsoever that isn't a softball, he gets an eyeroll, sarcastic chuckle, or an outright glare.

I cant imagine what he'd be like at a school with a fanbase that put any kind of pressure/expectations on him.

maybe he realized that and that is why he turned down KState, why would he want that microscope when UNT only has reading glasses

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 3/8/2022 at 10:39 AM, Cr1028 said:

You don’t bring in 2 transfer quarterbacks to compete if there is no competition.

I'd love to believe that's the reason we made that move but to me that was done out of necessity.  With Gilmore, Martin, and Drummond no longer in the QB room and no HS signee showing up in the fall we were looking to go into spring with only Ruder and Aune.

• Upvote 2

On 3/8/2022 at 8:34 AM, UNT18Grad said:

There's a competition. Unfortunately, the guys grading it aren't well versed. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, UNT18Grad said:

I'd love to believe that's the reason we made that move but to me that was done out of necessity.  With Gilmore, Martin, and Drummond no longer in the QB room and no HS signee showing up in the fall we were looking to go into spring with only Ruder and Aune.

You don’t think the staff made those moves? Encouraging them to move on or switch positions?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

On 3/6/2022 at 10:20 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

Mason was a project, not a sought after FBS QB. He was, to be honest. a very pleasant surprise.

Yeah, but that kid could sling it. The thing is, his stats weren’t great his freshman year, and, yeah, he got hurt, but you could tell immediately that he was different. I mean, from his first drive when he led us to a td. 

I guess the point is, you can tell pretty quick whether a qb has “it” or they don’t, and we haven’t had a guy since mason that has “it”. 

I still think that transfer from the cusa school is gonna end up our starter because he had “it” against us.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, untlynchka1 said:

Yeah, but that kid could sling it. The thing is, his stats weren’t great his freshman year, and, yeah, he got hurt, but you could tell immediately that he was different. I mean, from his first drive when he led us to a td. 

I guess the point is, you can tell pretty quick whether a qb has “it” or they don’t, and we haven’t had a guy since mason that has “it”. 

I still think that transfer from the cusa school is gonna end up our starter because he had “it” against us.  

I think kason has some of the "it" but this staff rolled with Aune. 

• Upvote 2

• Coach Andy Mac changed the title to Jace Ruder taking lead so far this spring
4 hours ago, untlynchka1 said:

I mean, from his first drive when he led us to a td. 

Derek Thompson and Riley Dodge did too. I’m pretty sure the same could be said for Matt Phillips. Heck, Andrew McNulty’s first play from scrimmage was the first touchdown in Apogee history.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Derek Thompson and Riley Dodge did too. I’m pretty sure the same could be said for Matt Phillips. Heck, Andrew McNulty’s first play from scrimmage was the first touchdown in Apogee history.

The sad reality is that I'd rather have McNulty over anything we've seen so far from this QB room.

Maybe Head or Stone show something, but since Mason we have not found a quality D1 starter

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 2