Jace Ruder taking lead so far this spring

Dannymacfan

11 hours ago, greenjoe said:

I had to go to the roster to check on who Jace Ryder was.  

Did you find anything?

I must say, there was way too much air under that ball and not much velocity for the distance it travelled  

Ruder is my breakout player.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 3/4/2022 at 10:50 PM, UNTLifer said:

Did you find anything?

I must say, there was way too much air under that ball and not much velocity for the distance it travelled  

Ruder is my breakout player.

Ruder really won you over with that 13-yard pass in garbage time against Marshall. You have been sold on him ever since.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Yeah, the criticism of Littrell shouldn’t be that he ran QBs off. The problem is that he was bringing in QBs who couldn’t cut it at the FBS level to begin with.

Aside from Mason Fine have we brought in a FBS QB? Survey Says......

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

Ruder really won you over with that 13-yard pass in garbage time against Marshall. You have been sold on him ever since.

No. I think he was rushed into the starting position last year. Yes, that pass looked 1000% better than any of his previous passes, but I also don’t think talent evaluators whiffed on his 4 star rating either. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

No. I think he was rushed into the starting position last year. Yes, that pass looked 1000% better than any of his previous passes, but I also don’t think talent evaluators whiffed on his 4 star rating either. 

I’m referring to seeing multiple posts from you immediately after and over the months since saying something along the lines of, you know it wasn’t much but he looked different. I’m not ragging, I’m just saying that really seemed to be the impetus of your being sold on him. 

As for being rushed, the dude was here all summer. He was here two months before practices started. He had four starts, good chunk of snaps and passes to get settled in. Saying he was rushed just seems a little over charitable. I would expect him to be better but he was a 4th year college QB who had ample time and opportunities to get settled in.

Also, keep in mind his high school stats were very underwhelming, particularly with completion percentage.

• Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, Udomann said:

This guy was riding pine at UNC well before he started warming it up here too.

Sometimes a dud is a dud. 

Playing behind a NFL level QB.  Joe Burrow rode the pine at Ohio State.  Bet LSU is glad they didn't share the same attitude.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Udomann said:

This guy was riding pine at UNC well before he started warming it up here too.

Sometimes a dud is a dud. 

This is a harsh take. IIRC, he was hurt early at UNC, then a Heisman Candidate took the reigns.  Let’s give him at least a full off season and fall before drawing conclusions on his career here. It benefits all if he pans out. GMG!

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 minute ago, Glory to the Green said:

This is a harsh take. IIRC, he was hurt early at UNC, then a Heisman Candidate took the reigns.  Let’s give him at least a full off season and fall before drawing conclusions on his career here. It benefits all if he pans out. GMG!

SSSHHH.  It doesn't fit the "Hate Littrell" mantra.

I agree with your comment 100%.  It is ridiculous to call this young man a dud because he had a rough start.  He should have never been rushed in to the starting position last year.  Hindsight being 20/20, Aune should have started the year considering he spent the entire off season working with our WR's and we should have brought Ruder along giving him playing time as the season progressed.  Unfortunately, SL has never been one to do that,

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Glory to the Green said:

This is a harsh take. IIRC, he was hurt early at UNC, then a Heisman Candidate took the reigns.

And then he lost the #2 slot to a younger player who is not yet a Heisman candidate.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Playing behind a NFL level QB.  Joe Burrow rode the pine at Ohio State.  Bet LSU is glad they didn't share the same attitude.

You have to be kidding. Do you have high hopes for Myles Brennan? Tyler Shough? Henry Columbi? These were the backups to the quarterbacks taken in the first round of the 2020 NFL draft where Joe Burrow was taken first overall. To my eyes, Mac Jones (who I didn’t list because, well, Alabama) is the only backup to be a great player in his subsequent chance.

There are way, WAY, more examples of backups who weren’t good enough to be starters than their are of high quality starters being buried behind other high quality staters on the depth chart (unless they play for Lincoln Riley or Nick Saban obviously). 

Also, your stance would carry more weight if he was only behind Sam Howell on the depth chart but that wasn’t the case. He was stuck behind both Sam Howell and Jacolby Criswell (who was a class younger than Ruder) on the depth chart.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1