BYU to B12

NTSU52

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

With oU and Ut leaving it won't be the same Big?12 as now.   Sorta like when we came to CUSA and some better teams had left.  It was still an upgrade but not as big as originally thought.  BYU will soon tire of all those long trips from Provo.  This may all just be resume building to get into the PAC eventually.

If the PAC 12 wants to improve their brand they will need some central time zone schools. TCU , OSU ???

I’m so happy for BYU. Their new league is going to be amazing on the basketball front: Kansas, BYU, Okie State, Iowa State, TCU, Baylor, Cincinnati, Texas Tech, Houston. Kansas State and UCF may be the only dogs in that league.  

For football they automatically begin the Big Dog in the small pond, much like they conquered and dominated their way in the WAC and MWC. 

They will get the prestige to rival Utah out west and get away from Gonzaga. It’s all good for Cougar Nation. 

BYU

GMG

• Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

16 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

If the PAC 12 wants to improve their brand they will need some central time zone schools. TCU , OSU ???

They missed their opportunity being uppity.  I don’t think either of those schools help them as much as adding Houston and another school from the state of Texas or Oklahoma.  If I were one the leaders in those conference meetings before Houston bolted to the Big 12 I am pounding the table Houston and let them pick a “rival” to come with them.  You pull Houston and a school that has heavy support in the DFW market would be huge coming to the media rights bargaining table.  Now the PAC 12 is basically forced to stand pat.   I don’t think defecting to the PAC 12 makes sense for any Big 12 team for the next decade except BYU.  

Anyone in PAC 12 leadership while Houston was still a “free agent” should be kicking themselves or scolding the rest of the leadership for not getting Houston.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2

You could say the same about the MWC. They waited too long to expand and missed out on Texas programs us included. I feel the MWC and PAC 12 are locked in. Teams want to move east more than west. 

Leadership helped us get into a good landing spot.

GMG

Edited by NM Green
  • Upvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

If I’m not an overly cheerful and weirdly happy BYU fan (hey such might exist) I’d be very pleased with the Big XII deal. 

They get a genuine, bona fide blue blood in basketball and you get a conference that is a step up from the peak WAC that had Arizona and Arizona State but lacked the depth of new Big 12 and it’s a step up from peak MWC that had some really outstanding Utah and TCU teams but still lacked the depth the new Big XII likely has.

It’s a home run for them but not a grand slam or even two run shot in my opinion.

Now my BYU story.

Wife and I were poor post-college, post-law school but had saved up and had a beach vacation for just after Christmas lined up, my parents were going to watch the kids. Wife gets an ear infection and doctor rules out flying. So we drive to Memphis to spend a few days. Inexplicably hotels are pretty booked up any place we’d want to be but finally get a room at the Marriott near the Pyramid except for the first night so stay at a Days Inn in a room roughly the size of a VW Beetle. The bed was so close to the dresser and TV had to climb across the bed. 

We go downtown to Beale Street and landed at Silky’s which I discover is owned by a Tulane alum and it finally hits me. Liberty Bowl. I’d be so busy scrambling for alternate plans had not thought about it.

So we are in Silky’s and it’s almost all Tulane fans and a handful of just here to have fun people. In walk five members of the BYU band (jackets were a give away)

The five BYU kids order a Sprite. Not a Sprite each. A Sprite and split it.

It was then I remembered Coach Edwards explanation of why bowls hated BYU fans. “Our fans go to bowl games with a copy of the 10 Commandments in one hand and twenty dollar bill in the other and they don’t break either of them.”

Great story!!

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1