Just one example of SuperPit inequities

On 3/4/2022 at 2:51 PM, PlummMeanGreen said:

Fertitta gave UH $20 million toward the $60 million it took to convert Hofheinz Pavillion to the Ferttita Center.  

Note:  Wish I could find a sped up from beginning to end video of the construction of the  Ferttita Center.  

10,000 seat Hofheinz Pavillion

AAEA21DB-1ADE-4D46-B528-B94F3FDD72DD.jpeg.dac90beadba3baedac6b90909d50bd25.jpeg

7,100 seat Fertitta Center 

DC107B2A-E76D-4F31-96D3-255936502BFA.jpeg.3d06c4d42a8556e40bf8daef18bf1575.jpeg

https://medium.com/uhvalentischool/a-texas-transition-8d5a38c5cd48

Hey I was looking through this thread instead of being productive at home and decided to research this for y'all interested. There's multiple camera angles and multiple projects linked on the left side of the screen. For this project, there's 2 exterior time lapse videos and and 2 interior. 

https://uh.edu/infotech/services/webcam/timelapse/fertitta-inside2/

https://uh.edu/infotech/services/webcam/timelapse/fertitta-inside/

https://uh.edu/infotech/services/webcam/timelapse/fertitta-hsc/

https://uh.edu/infotech/services/webcam/timelapse/fertitta-spg/

Enjoy!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Clinetort said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_basketball_arenas

Just as a starting point.  178 facilities on this list have a capacity of 6,000 or less.  

That doesn't automatically make them worse than the Super Pit. 

And comparing us to the whole country doesn't make sense. A better question is how does the Super Pit rank compared to arenas in the AAC, Mountain West, Big East, Atlantic 10. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

That doesn't automatically make them worse than the Super Pit. 

And comparing us to the whole country doesn't make sense. A better question is how does the Super Pit rank compared to arenas in the AAC, Mountain West, Big East, Atlantic 10. 

The only pier group out of the conferences mentioned is obviously the AAC and the Super Pit stacks up very well against this competition.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, greenminer said:

I'm fine with my Super Pit experience.  Which is a chair, the view, and an occasional trip to the bathroom or concession stand.  But I've read over and over about some of the facilities beneath the stands and how they are lacking and/or dangerous.

Dangerous?  Seriously?  Don't believe it.  We used to have Mean Green Club pre-game basketball social events below the SuperPit for years.  Not bad at all beneath the stands.

Now Fouts beneath the stands was a little scary back in the day, lol.  Actually not scary, just cramped, dark, and very dated, but a cool place to explore...like an old movie set.  Underneath the SuperPit, the parts I've been to are spacious, lighted, clean, and well kept. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Dangerous?  Seriously? Now Fouts beneath the stands was a little scary back in the day, lol.  Actually not scary, just cramped, dark, and very dated, but a cool place to explore...like an old movie set.

Long live the pee wall.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Dangerous?  Seriously?  Don't believe it.  We used to have Mean Green Club pre-game basketball social events below the SuperPit for years.  Not bad at all beneath the stands.

Now Fouts beneath the stands was a little scary back in the day, lol.  Actually not scary, just cramped, dark, and very dated, but a cool place to explore...like an old movie set.  Underneath the SuperPit, the parts I've been to are spacious, lighted, clean, and well kept. 

Don't believe what I read here on GMG.com, except you? sure.

I've seen the green room.  I've wandered the halls underneath (2+ seasons in the basketball band).  I'm not gonna pretend I have a firm grasp of the infrastructure and what engineers would say.  Honestly, I don't know why anyone but engineers/architects and/or the actual staff would claim to be an authority on the integrity of this place.

4 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Long live the pee wall.

Ha! I never (thankfully?) saw it.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

1) You're the only one claiming you heard it's dangerous.   2) It wouldn't be open if that was the case, and it's not.  

1) I'm not making that claim, I'm stating I've read it here before that is lacking and possibly dangerous.  Sorry I wasn't clear.
2) I know this might be a shock to you, but sometimes facilities and buildings remain open even when things aren't 100%.

I wish I could remember who was spelling this out.  It wasn't really a "this buildings about to collapse" claim.  IIRC, it was about asbestos, age, and couldn't fully support what our programs needed.

Where in my previous posts do you think i'm pushing for a new arena? I think you'll find that I'm just fine with the Super Pit, but also recognize it is not ideal.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1