Just one example of SuperPit inequities

1 hour ago, meangreen11 said:

The beautiful Jumbotron you see in the SuperPit (SP) was purchased due to several large donors who stepped up big time and gave a lot of dough. 

To put this story into context, it is correct that UNT owns the SP and the administration controls all scheduling and, get this, charges the UNT sports teams and other departments rental fees for usage.  And they are nazis about it.  They have been known to raise a stink when a practice time for basketball had to be moved due to a death in the family even when the revised date and time was not booked and crap like that.  Remember the faculty and staff at UNT are like a bunch of little birdies needing to be fed but with no desire to create food or hunt for it themselves.

UNT Athletics had been asking the administration for a new jumbotron for years and they were ignored.  The AD was then able to get it done through their own efforts.

After that, UNT wanted use of the Jumbotron for all of their events including graduation and whatnot.  So even though they didn't pay for it, and lift a finger to help raise the money for it, they wanted full use of it and basically wanted to claim ownership of it.  And they wanted to charge others for the use of it!

This is just one story and I have many, many others that involve people like Steven Selby and the like and many other subjects of interest here.  I may choose to share these at a later time if I get enough +1 votes. 😁

I love the SP and as many here graduated in there and have fond memories.  If we are to become the next Gonzaga - I am convinced athletics needs their own place with no strings attached.  GMG

Doesn't sound like much of a problem to me.  Build a kick ass practice facility and call it a day.  Save about 60 million.  

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, keith said:

I certainly appreciate Ernie basically funding this facility with a little help from his friends but I think if you ask him this was a stopgap from nothing to something. I think the Super Pit is oversized with 10,500 seats but does work for basketball games.However, until it can be replaced we need a do need a kick ass practice facility . It is sorely  needed for recruiting. as well as practices. See Clinetort. We can agree on an issue. Now about our Congress........

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

The beautiful Jumbotron you see in the SuperPit (SP) was purchased due to several large donors who stepped up big time and gave a lot of dough. 

To put this story into context, it is correct that UNT owns the SP and the administration controls all scheduling and, get this, charges the UNT sports teams and other departments rental fees for usage.  And they are nazis about it.  They have been known to raise a stink when a practice time for basketball had to be moved due to a death in the family even when the revised date and time was not booked and crap like that.  Remember the faculty and staff at UNT are like a bunch of little birdies needing to be fed but with no desire to create food or hunt for it themselves.

UNT Athletics had been asking the administration for a new jumbotron for years and they were ignored.  The AD was then able to get it done through their own efforts.

After that, UNT wanted use of the Jumbotron for all of their events including graduation and whatnot.  So even though they didn't pay for it, and lift a finger to help raise the money for it, they wanted full use of it and basically wanted to claim ownership of it.  And they wanted to charge others for the use of it!

This is just one story and I have many, many others that involve people like Steven Selby and the like and many other subjects of interest here.  I may choose to share these at a later time if I get enough +1 votes. 😁

I love the SP and as many here graduated in there and have fond memories.  If we are to become the next Gonzaga - I am convinced athletics needs their own place with no strings attached.  GMG

I get where you're coming from, and I've heard about these "facility control" stories for decades.  UNT had or has a scheduling issue, not a building issue.  I certainly believe, like every business, there are some mid-level managers that are power-mongers or control nazis in their jobs.  I've dealt with some similar Assistant level ADs in the past in Athletics when it came to donating NT memorabilia.  Facility use issues are where Wren and Dr. Smatresk have to work on their level to fix things, and I think they work well together, ie the AAC coordinated presentation. 

But technically UNT, the University, "owns" everything on it's campus.  Departments within may be given control of certain assets.  Athletics is a part of UNT, not separate.  A donation specific to Athletics or Business is a donation to UNT in general.  A building or jumbotron built for Athletics is also built for UNT.

A new arena would be no different.  Athletics may get more scheduling control of it, but Science may need to use it for a high school robotics competition.  And it would happen.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, Clinetort said:

Doesn't sound like much of a problem to me.  Build a kick ass practice facility and call it a day.  Save about 60 million.  

This is a failed argument because when it comes down to the time to either renovate or build new, it’s going to be build new. The super pit can not be renovated as needed as I have explained numerous times in the 70 million threads that keep coming up about this topic. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

Fertitta gave UH $20 million toward the $60 million it took to convert Hofheinz Pavillion to the Ferttita Center.  

Note:  Wish I could find a sped up from beginning to end video of the construction of the  Ferttita Center.  

10,000 seat Hofheinz Pavillion

AAEA21DB-1ADE-4D46-B528-B94F3FDD72DD.jpeg.dac90beadba3baedac6b90909d50bd25.jpeg

7,100 seat Fertitta Center 

DC107B2A-E76D-4F31-96D3-255936502BFA.jpeg.3d06c4d42a8556e40bf8daef18bf1575.jpeg

https://medium.com/uhvalentischool/a-texas-transition-8d5a38c5cd48

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 3

3 hours ago, keith said:

That place is so small and not well equipped like many other practice venues. Hell our volleyball “center” sucks worse, the ceiling is way too low and it’s too small.

New arena would have volleyball facility, basketball practice facility, and new arena. Much more worth it…

• Upvote 8
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

This is a failed argument because when it comes down to the time to either renovate or build new, it’s going to be build new. The super pit can not be renovated as needed as I have explained numerous times in the 70 million threads that keep coming up about this topic. 

The Super Pit doesn't need renovation.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 7
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Opinion.

A state of art sound system & additional lighting would be good for now.

When we start American Athletic Conference  play & have to redo our floor I hope it’s a lot less busy than now & we do something similar to TCU & others—I love the predominantly white floor.  A white floor with the apple green (& smaller) Eagle logo on it would be (to quote the late, great John Denver)——far out. 
***See UH’s Fertitta Center predominately white floor a few comments above.  

7758CF1F-5158-44C1-B37B-989DBAC145EC.jpeg.be8412b854c9fdab249da96defa2030d.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 5

5 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Fertitta gave UH $20 million toward the $60 million it took to convert Hofheinz Pavillion to the Ferttita Center.  

Note:  Wish I could find a sped up from beginning to end video of the construction of the  Ferttita Center.  

10,000 seat Hofheinz Pavillion

AAEA21DB-1ADE-4D46-B528-B94F3FDD72DD.jpeg.dac90beadba3baedac6b90909d50bd25.jpeg

7,100 seat Fertitta Center 

DC107B2A-E76D-4F31-96D3-255936502BFA.jpeg.3d06c4d42a8556e40bf8daef18bf1575.jpeg

https://medium.com/uhvalentischool/a-texas-transition-8d5a38c5cd48

Fertitta looks too chopped up with those giant walls.  

Hofheinz looks much more fan-friendly and closer to the action.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

A state of art sound system & additional lighting would be good for now.

When we start American Athletic Conference  play & have to redo our floor I hope it’s a lot less busy than now & we do something similar to TCU & others—I love the predominantly white floor.  A white floor with the apple green (& smaller) Eagle logo on it would be (to quote the late, great John Denver)——far out. 
***See UH’s Fertitta Center predominately white floor a few comments above.  

Sorry, but have to disagree with you here.  TCU's court is disgusting.  I love what we have now.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Sorry, but have to disagree with you here.  TCU's court is disgusting.  I love what we have now.

Same. I think our floor is great.

I think people love the Fertitta Center because every photo they see is of it full with bright lights so it looks more exciting. I'm sorry but you can't convince me in terms of interior esthetics that the Fertitta Center is leaps and bounds better than the Super Pit like people proclaim.

Yeah, the Super Pit has some areas that could be updated but I'd pretty disappointed if they spent $60 million to turn the Super Pit into what TCU or UH's arenas look like.

fertitta-center-side-shot_1200xx1995-1122-27-0.jpg

UNT-Coliseum-Super-Pit-Interior.jpg

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Same. I think our floor is great.

I think people love the Fertitta Center because every photo they see is of it full with bright lights so it looks more exciting. I'm sorry but you can't convince me in terms of interior esthetics that the Fertitta Center is leaps and bounds better than the Super Pit like people proclaim.

Yeah, the Super Pit has some areas that could be updated but I'd pretty disappointed if they spent $60 million to turn the Super Pit into what TCU or UH's arenas look like.

fertitta-center-side-shot_1200xx1995-1122-27-0.jpg

UNT-Coliseum-Super-Pit-Interior.jpg

Agree.  No comparison.  SuperPit all the way!   It's looks like Major College arena vs JUCO.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

The ceiling at UH seems low to me.  I stumbled upon a PAC12 game at Utah, and their court seemed really dark. The seating area was almost not visible. The SP doesn’t really bother me, but Utah’s was really noticeable. 

• Upvote 2

Keep in mind that in Texas state funds cannot be used for athletics.  When we banter around $60, $78, $100 million dollar figures for a state of the art facility to replace the coliseum,  is everyone posting here ready to substantially increase their Mean Green Scholarship donation ?  Even if we can find a "naming sponsor," the little people will have to come up with a lot of money.  

Win today.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

My big complaint is the SOW and Texas outline at mid court are way too big. Midcourt logos should not stretch all the way between the 3 point lines. 

• Upvote 4
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 1

On 3/4/2022 at 5:00 PM, PlummMeanGreen said:

When we start American Athletic Conference  play & have to redo our floor I hope it’s a lot less busy than now & we do something similar to TCU  

My wife saw the TCU court on TV and said "that is the ugliest BB Court I have ever seen, whoever came up with that should be fired." Like me she loves the UNT court.  

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Looks to me we are back to the question what do we want, what do we need, and what are we willing to pay for. We want a new arena, we need a new practice facility , we are starting from scratch to raise money unless there is a major donor on the $15 million range that we are unaware of.  While the Super Pitt is too large, in my opinion it works as a basketball game venue but not for every day use. Life being a compromise I would opt for a new practice facility which certainly should be more attainable that a new 7,000 seat arena.[ While you are looking at arenas, check out UTA's new 7,000 seat arena.]

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1