UTEP (3/5/22)

Big Z

3 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

This isn't a North Texas problem, it's a CUSA problem.

We don't have a signature win, which is our problem.  When you are a very good mid major program you are just held to a higher standard. I still don't see how Murry State gets so much love this yer.

• Eye Roll 1

11 minutes ago, wardly said:

We don't have a signature win, which is our problem.  When you are a very good mid major program you are just held to a higher standard. I still don't see how Murry State gets so much love this yer.

Fun game (so far) in the OVC championship between Murray State and Morehead State on the Deuce if you want to see Murray State in action.  It’s been a game of big runs.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

Maybe this game will be the lesson Mac needs. 

Drove to the DFW area and back today and my phone died at 1:45pm and didn't come back on until after 4p.  Maybe it was best, but I stop reading the thread when you made the above comment.  You talking down to McCasland and stating he needs a lesson is comedy gold.  How many games have you won coaching?  How many has Mac?  Titles?  Sometimes it is better to just be quiet.

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Drove to the DFW area and back today and my phone died at 1:45pm and didn't come back on until after 4p.  Maybe it was best, but I stop reading the thread when you made the above comment.  You talking down to McCasland and stating he needs a lesson is comedy gold.  How many games have you won coaching?  How many has Mac?  Titles?  Sometimes it is better to just be quiet.

Everyone can have an opinion… My stance this season on his rotation won’t change. Win or lose I believe it’s best to allow at least one other player to see the floor. There is always an area everyone can improve. Benford ran a train of players on off on off like a hockey line and people threw a fit (usually rightly so). They should all be disregarded and ignored as well… 

Everyone here (outside of @Cougar King) wants UNT to win and be successful. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

5 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Then why recruit them? You brought Wright in for one year for nothing? Seems like a waste.

It was a big swing and a miss. Unfortunately, it happens. He played at the beginning of the season and wouldn't or couldn't fit in Grant's system. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

Win or lose I believe it’s best to allow at least one other player to see the floor.

This was Simmons. At the time time, I didn’t realize how much that injury would mean to the rotation.  Simmons for Abou today would have been huge!  Fouls happen. Today was tough. It’ll be okay.  Let’s see what team shows up Thursday. My money’s  on the Mean Green!  

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

On 3/4/2022 at 9:16 AM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Okay everyone, hear me out. Of course I would love to win every single game, and I want an at large in case of a loss in the tournament, BUT a loss would not be the end of the world and something MAYBE this team needs to get a big boost going into the tournament with a salty feeling, dominate, win the championship, make a NCAA tournament run and everything is good.

forgive me halloween GIF

• RV 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

Wait. Didn’t someone say losing would regain our focus? I don’t know. I am glad the guys played to the end, but we were due for an L. That defense will not get us through. Need to be frustrating on D☺️

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

10 hours ago, Andrew said:

Article said it comes down to conditioning and mentioned it starts at a young age (8th grade) when these elite prospects are already being looked at. Yes the higher level ACC causes more a grind; however these players are also on another level when it comes to conditioning before they even step on the floor for the likes of Duke and Kansas. We are a mid major where deeper rotations are more common.

Again it’s not about having another Tyler Perry coming off the bench. It’s about having a guy who can simply be a buffer and allow somebody like Bell to stay out of foul trouble and rest his legs for when we really need them. The guy does not even have to touch the ball on offense. Keep moving and set screens and body someone up. It really is a simple solution for a simple problem. 

NT rotated a lot more, when it had Benford as its HC. Other than you, none on this board seem to want to go back.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Last Saturday vs. LA Tech was special, confetti, cutting down nets, championship t-shirts and caps and a wrestling belt for TBIII.  It all had an air of “finality” even though there were two regular season games left.  We were due for a letdown and I think it was evident against UTSA but they are so bad, we were able to struggle and still win, but it all caught up with us yesterday. 

Now the challenge is to refocus and realize goal #2 is now at hand, the conference tournament championship. We have to recapture that grittiness, determination, and attention to detail that this team has to have to achieve their goals. We aren’t a team that will “out talent” our opponent, but one that wins through doing the little things right and taking care of business. 

I believe in this team and think the best is yet to come. 

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1

Thomas Bell FT stats.  Not gonna criticize how we manage our depth, but Bells FT shooting had gone down recently, and is lower than previous seasons. Maybe Superman is getting tired (looks like his workload is much more this year, and it is showing at the line. He’s probably going to triple his FT attempts (!!!) from last year

2E5A4E5F-33CE-4E87-98DE-4DBE75892C5A.jpeg

7BF573B8-05E8-45C8-9DE1-7C28BAE4FFC9.jpeg

25D816C9-688F-4418-A79B-A7C526D702C1.jpeg

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Last Saturday vs. LA Tech was special, confetti, cutting down nets, championship t-shirts and caps and a wrestling belt for TBIII.  It all had an air of “finality” even though there were two regular season games left.  We were due for a letdown and I think it was evident against UTSA but they are so bad, we were able to struggle and still win, but it all caught up with us yesterday. 

Now the challenge is to refocus and realize goal #2 is now at hand, the conference tournament championship. We have to recapture that grittiness, determination, and attention to detail that this team has to have to achieve their goals. We aren’t a team that will “out talent” our opponent, but one that wins through doing the little things right and taking care of business. 

I believe in this team and think the best is yet to come. 

Yes. Time to take a chainsaw to the conference tourney and destroy everything in our path 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Andrew said:

Everyone can have an opinion… My stance this season on his rotation won’t change.

With zero guarantee it would work.  It’s entirely possible the next two guys aren’t on a level to offset the rested players. What if we worked a 10 man rotation, but ended up 3rd in the West, with a 60ish NET, and a CIT invite?

Do you prefer that, or where we are now?

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Well guys it’s pretty certain we just saw our NCAA tourney bid go down the commode last night.  Ugly game!  Are we a lock for NIT?  Hope so.  

Am I alone in feeling really down today?

How is it certain?  We need to win three games to get there - doable.

If we don't get into the NCAA our NIT bid is automatic since we have the best record in the regular season.  NIT takes regular season champs that don't get in the NCAA.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, CMJ said:

How is it certain?  We need to win three games to get there - doable.

If we don't get into the NCAA our NIT bid is automatic since we have the best record in the regular season.  NIT takes regular season champs that don't get in the NCAA.

You’re right I probably could have chosen better words.  I meant to say our road got a lot harder.

1 hour ago, Tom McKrackin said:

You’re right I probably could have chosen better words.  I meant to say our road got a lot harder.

So confused. The seeding didn’t change, so is this an emotional response to UTSA beating Rice? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

With zero guarantee it would work.  It’s entirely possible the next two guys aren’t on a level to offset the rested players. What if we worked a 10 man rotation, but ended up 3rd in the West, with a 60ish NET, and a CIT invite?

Do you prefer that, or where we are now?

I don't understand this mentality of going from extreme to another. It's like the arena thread of 7k or 10k. Why not in between? Asking for a deeper rotation doesn't mean playing 10+ guys and it doesn't mean you have to keep the same rotation all season. NBA teams typically have a more loose rotation early on and make it smaller as they get to the end of the season and into the playoffs. I realize it's a much longer season but I feel like it still applies. With our conference, it's nearly required to win the conference tourney to get in the big dance. I'd be OK with dropping an extra game or two, ending up 2nd or 3rd, but being more fresh for the tourney. Being 1st doesn't matter if your guys are too tired at the end of the season when it matters most.

Time will tell. I still feel good about the season and what's in store this week.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I don't understand this mentality of going from extreme to another. It's like the arena thread of 7k or 10k. Why not in between? Asking for a deeper rotation doesn't mean playing 10+ guys and it doesn't mean you have to keep the same rotation all season. NBA teams typically have a more loose rotation early on and make it smaller as they get to the end of the season and into the playoffs. I realize it's a much longer season but I feel like it still applies. With our conference, it's nearly required to win the conference tourney to get in the big dance. I'd be OK with dropping an extra game or two, ending up 2nd or 3rd, but being more fresh for the tourney. Being 1st doesn't matter if your guys are too tired at the end of the season when it matters most.

Time will tell. I still feel good about the season and what's in store this week.

I'm with you on extremes, but that wasn't my point.  Whether we go 10 deep or just add a few extra minutes towards the next guy, why spend 99% of your time on the board trying to hammer this home, when there is no guarantee it will work? While we are going 20-1? When we have no idea who you are, and you don't really contribute much else to the board?

Just seems like a tale of not reading the room.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, outoftown said:

NT rotated a lot more, when it had Benford as its HC. Other than you, none on this board seem to want to go back.

Who said I wanted players subbing in and out every 2-3 minutes…. Why does everyone take everything to the extreme or create some sort of straw man argument taking information out of context. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

19 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Who said I wanted players subbing in and out every 2-3 minutes…. Why does everyone take eveything to thing extreme or create some sort of straw man argument taking information out of context. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Irony. Its a wonderfully funny thing.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I'm with you on extremes, but that wasn't my point.  Whether we go 10 deep or just add a few extra minutes towards the next guy, why spend 99% of your time on the board trying to hammer this home, when there is no guarantee it will work? While we are going 20-1? When we have no idea who you are, and you don't really contribute much else to the board?

Just seems like a tale of not reading the room.

Maybe passion for the team? Some people like to take the W and move on. Some people like to find areas that can improve. I understand your point that it starts to get old reading the same criticism from the same person when the team is doing well. It's obvious coach knows what he's doing. And at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what any of us say here, we all know nothing will change until you get a banner flown over the Super Pit. That being said:

📢 If you really want a deeper rotation, try flying a banner of the Super Pit and maybe coach will make a change!

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 3/5/2022 at 4:34 PM, Andrew said:

Sure and we have rolled with the same 7 guys since the Simmons injury and even before that for a quite sometime. It’s going to be difficult to win 3 games in a row with 7 guys who play intense defense. That’s a lot of pressure on these guys. Foul trouble makes it worse. Every guy on that bench was offered a scholarship. They are D1 players. It’s difficult to believe that Having Perry, Stone, Jones, Bell and Abou or McBride, Murray, Jones, Scott, and Wright etc… on the court as a group for 2-3 minutes could make anything worse. Especially true with the grind we go on the offensive end. These guys might only see 3-4 offensive positions at the most during that time and can simply screen off ball and keep the D honest. The benefit comes when our other guys enter fresher with a little more energy to play defense and make free throws. 

they just won 15 games in a row...

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1