UTEP (3/5/22)

Big Z

16 minutes ago, glick1980 said:

Drez has not had a good game today.  Now we have to win the conference tournament, there is no chance at an at-large bid now.

This isn't a North Texas problem, it's a CUSA problem.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

We removed our room for error in frisco. There isn’t a silver lining. 

My hope is maybe it’s a wake up call that a 7 man rotation is going to struggle eventually. We have been riding the unicorn a long time. Was reading articles about various thoughts on rotation and coach K is a big fan of a 7 man rotation. Difference is the level he recruits and has is vastly different than what we have. Essentially the lower the team/conference  is ranked historically the deeper their rotation. UNT should be a 8-9 man rotation. 

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 3

1 minute ago, Mean Green Matt said:

We removed our room for error in frisco. There isn’t a silver lining. 

If we’re below the cut line (which the most accurate bracketologists in recent years show us at right now), I really doubt a win at UTEP, neutral court win against Charlotte or Rice, neutral court win against La Tech or WKU, neutral court loss to UAB is enough to get us up over that cut line.

Adding 3 more Quad 3 wins and a quad 2 loss on top of our current resume is not giving us as strong a case as many on here are hoping. We always needed to win out in Frisco. We had margin for error today, not in Frisco.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Andrew said:

My hope is maybe it’s a wake up call that a 7 man rotation is going to struggle eventually. We have been riding the unicorn a long time. Was reading articles about various thoughts on rotation and coach K is a big fan of a 7 man rotation. Difference is the level he recruits and has is vastly different than what we have. Essentially the lower the team/conference  is ranked historically the deeper their rotation. UNT should be a 8-9 man rotation. 

If Mccasland trusted more than 7 players then we might see more than 7. He doesn’t, and they haven’t given him any reason to when they’ve had chances. Outside of maybe Wright. I’m somewhat with you on confused why he hasn’t been given more opportunity. 

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

He's also playing vastly better competition night in night out in the ACC vs CUSA.  Not as big a difference as you'd think.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, outoftown said:

Well, at least the women won (56-47). I don't know if it was enough to win the division, but it is at least something good. Jalie managed to turn the ship around in the second half of conference play

NT had to win and LaTech had to lose; LaTech won big. Came in second.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Our legs are dead. If we can’t play defense like we want we are going to lose. Our guys are exhausted and can’t make a shot. Little worried about the conference tournament with our guys putting so many miles on their legs. 

I wish Mac would be like Jason Kidd and a few other nba coaches and have a spot (not always) where he puts in someone off the bench to fill in a 4-6 minute spot just to get some guys rest. Kidd would run Brown, Green, Burke, Chriss, or Frank for a while just to get his guys some rest to close out the game well. 

Brown has appeared in 3 games this month. Burke hasn’t played since 2/12. Chriss hasn’t played since 2/10. Frank hasn’t played since 2/15. Green’s development into an actual rotation player has been written about at length since the start of 2022. A lot of the previous minutes you saw were Covid and injuries. It’s great to be deep and it’s great to blow people out, but you’re continuing to yell at a speed boat because it’s not an airplane and it’s exhausting.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1