UTEP (3/5/22)

Big Z

1 hour ago, RiseUNT said:

Last game of the season. Seeing a lot of people saying if we win then the NCAA will not be able to leave us out of the tournament.

I really, really want a win today.    That would put this team at 24-4.   A win in the 1st round of the conference tourney puts them at 25-4.    The .NET ranking should stay in the upper 30's.    A loss today and we can probably kiss the at-large possibility goodbye.

If our guys were to get tripped up in the conference semi-finals or championship game with a close loss.  I still believe most likely this team gets an at large bid.    The team is getting a lot of press.    A 25-5 or 26-5 record would still be  very impressive.

The CUSA tourney is going to be tough those last 2 games.    UAB is our near equal.  MT is playing really well.   La Tech and a weakened WKU are always dangerous.

North Texas has a very rare opportunity this year for an at-large bid.   Winning the CUSA tourney is no guarantee.  

Of course, the NIT is a good consolation prize.  But, I think this teams expectations are higher.   Just win !

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, RiseUNT said:

Last game of the season. Seeing a lot of people saying if we win then the NCAA will not be able to leave us out of the tournament.

I think we have to win today and at a minimum win our first game in the CUSA tournament to get an at-large bid.  A loss to who we will play in the quarterfinals will be a bad loss.  Depending on who makes the semifinals could be a bad loss too.  Ideally, if we do lose it is a quad 1 loss in the championship game to UAB.

• Upvote 3

I'm still seeing opinions all over the spectrum about our at-large chances.  Some people think we are in, regardless of today and tournament.  Then there is Kerry here (they are with Bleacher Report):

"Even if they win tonight and lose to UAB in CUSA finals, they're iffy at best..."

• Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I'm still seeing opinions all over the spectrum about our at-large chances.  Some people think we are in, regardless of today and tournament.  Then there is Kerry here (they are with Bleacher Report):

"Even if they win tonight and lose to UAB in CUSA finals, they're iffy at best..."

What a moron…. Top 40 team in the nation with the best defense who also has proven they can compete with and/or beat the best doesn’t get in with a 26-5 record??? Hilariously awful take. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Andrew said:

What a moron…. Top 40 team in the nation with the best defense who also has proven they can compete with and/or beat the best doesn’t get in with a 26-5 record??? Hilariously awful take. 

The selection committee is known for hilariously awful decisions.  Occasionally.

Edited by greenminer

17 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I will say this, I feel much better about our AL chances than even a week ago.  Views like Kerry's have become the exception rather than the norm since we avenged UAB at their house.