DRC: Austin Aune confirms this will be his final season with UNT as spring practice looms

Brett Vito

• Brett Vito changed the title to DRC: Austin Aune confirms this will be his final season with UNT as spring practice looms
27 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don’t think we have anyone on the roster who’s better though.   I know some of y’all are high on Earle from ACU for his comp% there, but I’m skeptical that it translates here.

When it comes to small school-to-big time adjustments, you have reason to be skeptical.  There's also a mighty Fine reason to be optimistic.

I'm good with whoever steps up, but for now put me in the Ruder fan club.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don’t think we have anyone on the roster who’s better though.   I know some of y’all are high on Earle from ACU for his comp% there, but I’m skeptical that it translates here.

Aune is a bad FBS qb. Not average,  he's bad. If we don't have anything better, especially after full off-season then that's just ANOTHER  failure on this staff.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 1

20 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I think we saw what he could do over last season,  if we don't have a qb or qb coach (no a real one) in the room we are in trouble.  

Not disputing what you say, but can we agree that this is not the best assistant destination in the country right now?  I mean who wants to jump on the Titanic?

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, meangreen11 said:

Not disputing what you say, but can we agree that this is not the best assistant destination in the country right now?  I mean who wants to jump on the Titanic?

Just throwing this out there, but assistants typically work on one year contracts and they have accepted a profession that can be nomadic by nature.  I would argue that many of these coaches may, may approach a job in the middle of the DFW market and think they can make a difference.  If the position group they are responsible for is successful, they still feel they will have more opportunity to be noticed in this market than say in Jonesboro, Arkansas.  We did pick up Randy Clements as our new OL Coach this off season and he has a strong resume.

• Upvote 5

38 minutes ago, greenminer said:

SL: "Do we have anyone on the defensive staff willing to coach QBs?"

PB: "I think I've got a nephew I can call."

It's sad how true this is. I think everyone see's the writing on the wall, so they are promoting/shifting & placing folks wherever they can get the most experience before the swinging door hits their rears on the way out with SL.

Wren is being smart (I think) in not investing a lot of money in folks who are going to to be canned as soon as they hire the replacement for Seth. So squeeze as many nephews and unexperienced QB coaches as you can get in at a good price while you can!

SL really should have been booted at 1-6... but to quote our good and dearly missed friend, Meatloaf: "Objects in the rearview mirror may appear closer than they are"

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 2