Fantastic CBS article on The Mean Green success

30 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

I am so nervous about content like this out there before we actually get a bid....

For sure.

You gotta think Coach McCasland has motivational talks for his guys about not eating the cheese & remaining focused on the goals… opposite of the ones he had to use at the beginning of the year when we were picked to finish 6th in conference, feeding the underdog role.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

For sure.

You gotta think Coach McCasland has motivational talks for his guys about not eating the cheese & remaining focused on the goals… opposite of the ones he had to use at the beginning of the year when we were picked to finish 6th in conference, feeding the underdog role.

Unfortunately I’m an over the top, eat the cheese, drink the kool-aid Mean Green fan and I have to say ... “ Yeah  Baby !  Bring on the national championship !  Tylor and da boyz gonna do it all !!!

Edited by cogido
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

*** I get bored so I get on my keyboard.
 I have never enjoyed being a UNT grad & Mean Green fan as I am now & since I came to Denton in 1972.  Last Saturday in the Super Pit was just plain ol’ nirvana & was as good as it gets.  Got to see MG friends I haven’t seen in decades.

I am not going to worry about our future in athletics up there. We have the best leadership all working congruently & in lockstep most of us have ever seen since forever & ever—amen.

Word on the street among some of the nesters is Coach Grant McCasland (once a Baylor walk-on) wants to build a legacy in Denton.  
He’s got a great facility in the 10,000 seat Super Pit that obviously needs some tweaking (and campus powers can start with more lighting for TV & a new sound system). Coach Mac works on a campus that some state of Texas prognosticators project could have a 50,000 enrollment in another 10 or so years.  
•••UNT & Denton are at the top of the burgeoning DFW metroplex growth triangle with significant growth heading north toward Denton County (which is now closing in  on 1,000,000 citizens). That location was key to our getting in the American Athletic Conference in 2 more years.

When I transferred from Alvin JUCO to NTSU, Denton County had 99,000 citizens & the 1972 Texas Almanac called it a rural, farming county. (Yes, I’m a square alright, I read the Texas Almanac like it’s a Larry McMurtry novel). 

Some say the only job Coach Mac would  leave Denton for would be his alma mater—Baylor U, but problem is the Bears probably won’t have an opening anytime soon because Grant’s former boss (Scott Drew) is firmly entrenched in “That Good Ol’ Baylor Line Country.”
••• Coach Grant McCasland could probably take a high power job in a high powered conference, but wealthy alums at those schools expect an NCAA National Champion in year 2 or else.  He has no such pressure in little ol’ lazy Denton—Texas—America, but sometimes  “lazy” also has its percs (as well as being ulcer free).  It’s a good day. 

❇️🦅❇️ GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 7

15 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

••• Coach Grant McCasland could probably take a high power job in a high powered conference, but wealthy alums at those schools expect an NCAA National Champion in year 2 or else.  He has no such pressure in little ol’ lazy Denton—Texas—America, but sometimes  “lazy” also has its percs (as well as being ulcer free).  It’s a good day. 

❇️🦅❇️ GMG!

The expectations should shift as he racks up championships.  It’s what will drive him to higher heights!   Imagine if Gonzaga’s fanbase & admin never changed their expectations of Mark Few along the way?

I don’t think McCasland will buckle under those expectations though like his football counterpart.

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

I am so nervous about content like this out there before we actually get a bid....

I do as well…..however on the flip side:

These articles help when it comes to credibility and that helps with selection committees. Sure there are analytics that go into it but there’s also a qualitative, subjective aspect. “Is this team legit or not.”  Articles on your school from CBS Sports helps. This article coming off a huge year coming off a defeat of Purdue last year all comes together to say: “UNT is a legit basketball program” especially for national level people that are watching from afar. 

• Upvote 4

37 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I do as well…..however on the flip side:

These articles help when it comes to credibility and that helps with selection committees. Sure there are analytics that go into it but there’s also a qualitative, subjective aspect. “Is this team legit or not.”  Articles on your school from CBS Sports helps. This article coming off a huge year coming off a defeat of Purdue last year all comes together to say: “UNT is a legit basketball program” especially for national level people that are watching from afar. 

Agreed. The more spotlight and national recognition, the better 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The expectations should shift as he racks up championships.  It’s what will drive him to higher heights!   Imagine if Gonzaga’s fanbase & admin never changed their expectations of Mark Few along the way?

I don’t think McCasland will buckle under those expectations though like his football counterpart.

Mark Few is a situation I've been looking at for hope that it can be done here. I'm not going to pretend to know Gonzaga's history but looking at historical records, it looks like he was part of building that program into what it is today. When he took over as HC they had only just started to find success and it's been persistent with him at the helm since '99. Prior to that, he was an assistant with the Zags for almost 10 years so his footprints are all over that place. I don't know if Grant can do what he's done but here's why I have hope. Salary. Few could have left a long time ago for more money. A quick Google search shows he makes about $1.8 million per year. Houston pays their coach $3 million per year. There's no doubt a big blue-blood like Michigan could have offered even more and maybe has but Few has stayed put.

Few is from Oregon, went to Oregon, but has made Spokane home. He's chosen legacy over money (not that he's not earning a pretty penny already). As of right now, Few's commitment to Gonzaga has pave the way for him being regarded as one of the most dominant college basketball coaches of all time and he did it at a mid-major. I'm hoping Grant will do the same.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1