DRC: UNT spring roster notes -- who's available, who's changed positions

Brett Vito

4 minutes ago, edcollopy said:

I'd hope they would've had a conversation before moving to such a different position than QB.  Can't imagine him having the build for that position. How do we miss so badly on a player's ability to play QB???

He was 6’3 205 coming out of HS. Build won’t be an issue. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, edcollopy said:

I'd hope they would've had a conversation before moving to such a different position than QB.  Can't imagine him having the build for that position. How do we miss so badly on a player's ability to play QB???

Great question that I think I may know the answer to:

WE DON'T HAVE A QB's COACH!!   

Normally, your OC doubles as your QBs coach.  Our OC is an OLine coach though.  This can work, but then you have to have a dedicated QBs coach as well.    We had that last year, and he wasn't very good. 
So instead of identifying a new/better one, we just identified another really good OL coach, and moved our elite OL coach over to coach QBs!  It's just mind-boggling.

How on Earth are we expecting anyone on staff after Harrell left to evaluate QB talent?   They don't know what they're looking for!

• Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Great question that I think I may know the answer to:

WE DON'T HAVE A QB's COACH!!   

Normally, your OC doubles as your QBs coach.  Our OC is an OLine coach though.  This can work, but then you have to have a dedicated QBs coach as well.    We had that last year, and he wasn't very good. 
So instead of identifying a new/better one, we just identified another really good OL coach, and moved our elite OL coach over to coach QBs!  It's just mind-boggling.

How on Earth are we expecting anyone on staff after Harrell left to evaluate QB talent?   They don't know what they're looking for!

But Drummond was recruited and committed while Tate Wallis was our QB coach. He was already committed before Wallis was dismissed.

As for his lack of development, if we’re making the determination after one season that he needs to change positions, that isn’t on Joseph or Bloesch. That’s just a case of not being able to play the position at the college level.

• Upvote 6

10 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

But Drummond was recruited and committed while Tate Wallis was our QB coach. He was already committed before Wallis was dismissed.

As for his lack of development, if we’re making the determination after one season that he needs to change positions, that isn’t on Joseph or Bloesch. That’s just a case of not being able to play the position at the college level.

That's true.  I had forgotten Wallis was here for 6 months.   I would think he might be more qualified to evaluate talent, but maybe not.

• Downvote 1

A LB and a QB have a lot of the same game mentality. They see the whole field, recognize formations. It should be an easier transition than a RB or WR moving to LB.. He will just have to learn to hit instead of trying not to get hit

We do have a deep LB room with both ILB coming back what has to be developed in Spring and early Fall is the Eagle and Devil(?) both losing starters from last year.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

Drummond now a LB. I bet he is in the portal soon.

We're so set at QB, I mean there's no way he'd have a chance to play. I'm sure our new qb coach saw him and knew,  with his vast experience at coaching the position 

Edited by p_phelps
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Old-timers will remember Bill Bradley from Palestine, TX.  At the time, he was generally considered the outstanding high school QB in Texas.  He went to UT.  He finished his college career as a D back and was a two time All Proin the NFL.  Royal used to scholarship high school QBs with the idea they were generally the best athletes and, if necessary, could be moved to other positions. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Programs have HS kids come on scholarships as QBs and end up at other positions all the time. Not an uncommon occurrence. Sometimes highly rated recruits too. It’s not just a “miss” as it’s a mixture of team need and how quickly they are developing at that position. 

It's a miss when you don't have any quality QB on the system.  It's not like he's been beaten out by much better players.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

When Patterson was at TCU he recruited qbs all the time and moved them to other positions especially to defense,because they were usually the best athlete on their HS teams. A lot of his db's, lb's and hybrid safeties/ lb's were former HS qbs. I'm not saying we're that smart but Drummond played lb in HS so everyone on this board take a chill pill!

• Upvote 1

Some of you complain about our QB Coach not being able to evaluate talent.  Not all successful QB Coaches/OC's are former QB's.  Bill O'Brien, Alabama's OC/QB Coach played defensive end and linebacker in college and Jeff Lebby, the new OU OC, was an OL in college.  

• Upvote 4
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

10 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Some of you complain about our QB Coach not being able to evaluate talent.  Not all successful QB Coaches/OC's are former QB's.  Bill O'Brien, Alabama's OC/QB Coach played defensive end and linebacker in college and Jeff Lebby, the new OU OC, was an OL in college.  

Bill O'Brien had been coaching QBs since 2002 under Chan Gailey at Georgia Tech.  He also coached Tom Brady in New England as QBs coach, who probably taught him more than he could fit in his head.
Lebby was the Pass Game Coordinator under Briles & Philip Montgomery (a great QBs coach) at Baylor.    These are just wildly different scenarios than Bloesch moving up from OL Coach to OC under Littrell, who is a RBs coach (by nature).  There is no "mentor" type of QBs coach anywhere on this staff, and hasn't been since Harrell left, so anyone coming up (like Bloesch) hasn't had anyone to pour this into him over the past 2 years.

All of the nuances of playing QB (while not requiring a former QB to teach them), necessitate someone who understands how QBs need to think & move... which no-doubt Bloesch is more than capable of understanding, and probably already knows... but also mechanics & fine-tuned things that, if you aren't a QB, you'd need a few years of working with them heavily to understand & teach.   
I just don't know if Bloesch has this level of QB coaching in him... yet.  I have no doubt he can understand/teach this too.  But we're in the fire right now.   We need a guy who can coach up the QBs we have RIGHT NOW.   And heck, he may surprise us all and be able to teach Aune perfect mechanics and turn him from a 1991-yd QB into a 3000-yd QB!   We'll see.
This kind of coaching could be the difference between a perfectly-executed PA/bootleg pass play to a wide open receiver that gets thrown in the dirt or sailed (how many times did we see this over the past 2 years), VS hitting the WR in stride for the TD.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I'll bet you those coaches are better at it

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, p_phelps said:

We're so set at QB, I mean there's no way he'd have a chance to play. I'm sure our new qb coach saw him and knew,  with his vast experience at coaching the position 

I'm shocked they didn't move him to OL to be honest

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

4 hours ago, Graddean said:

Old-timers will remember Bill Bradley from Palestine, TX.  At the time, he was generally considered the outstanding high school QB in Texas.  He went to UT.  He finished his college career as a D back and was a two time All Proin the NFL.  Royal used to scholarship high school QBs with the idea they were generally the best athletes and, if necessary, could be moved to other positions. 

Bradley did play QB at Palestine in '64... but did play pro ball in the defensive secondary.