UTSA (3/3/22)

CMJ

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

Yeah, I have to push back on the idea we looked uniquely bad last night.  We often don't look particularly "good" -- our style of play is ugly.  But I don't care how we win.  Plenty of smooth, free flowing teams don't win jack.  Winning ugly is still beautiful.

Precisely. This isn’t Olympic ice-skating, there are no style points to be gained.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

I am celebrating. I recall literally hundreds of games we should have won, and didn't. We are in a place where a down night doesn't guarantee a loss. And I don't recall us ever being in that place so regularly before. When disappointment equals a win, I'm good. 

It is the coaches and players that react, work harder, grow and build from games like that. I trust that process continues.

GMG

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CMJ said:

Yeah, I have to push back on the idea we looked uniquely bad last night.  We often don't look particularly "good" -- our style of play is ugly.  But I don't care how we win.  Plenty of smooth, free flowing teams don't win jack.  Winning ugly is still beautiful.

It was one of our worst performances of the year. I'm not sure why some of y'all are so sensitive about calling that out? The team isn't above a little criticism. 

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Precisely. This isn’t Olympic ice-skating, there are no style points to be gained.  

Actually, there are points to be gained/lost. Our lackluster win last night dropped us 2 spots in the NET. Its always going to be hard to gain ground in the NET playing one of the worst teams in the country, but when you only beat them by 11 you're going to drop. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Actually, there are points to be gained/lost. Our lackluster win last night dropped us 2 spots in the NET. Its always going to be hard to gain ground in the NET playing one of the worst teams in the country, but when you only beat them by single digits you're going to drop. 

I'm pretty sure we won by double digits.  And, I think the slight NET drop had more to do with other games than our margin of victory. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

I'm pretty sure we won by double digits.  And, I think the slight NET drop had more to do with other games than our margin of victory. 

Apologies, we won by 11.

North Carolina, Xavier, and Marquette all jumped us while idle last night. Xavier and Marquette both lost their last game too. We dropped because of our game. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Apologies, we won by 11.

North Carolina, Xavier, and Marquette all jumped us while idle last night. Xavier and Marquette both lost their last game too. We dropped because of our game. 

Yeah there is a lot to the NET. I know defense and points are a piece and free throw percentage too I thought. We need to play perfect basketball. Not ugly and win basketball. Other wise a perfect game and a lose will end our run. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

7 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Apologies, we won by 11.

I'm not trying to split hairs here.  Style points certainly do have their benefit in a sport that has a committee determine a team's worthiness of the postseason and/or position.  But, I do have to say that teams rise and fall in the NET all the time while idle--based upon how their opponents perform.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I like that we had a poor game at this time.  It is a good "refocus" for Saturday and the tournament.

What's funny is that we keep joking about Trap Games...   I think we actually won that very game last night, as it seemed like the guys were sleepwalking for long stretches, especially early on.   But UTSA is just plain awful, so we were still able to win by double-digits despite falling in the "trap".

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

43 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

I'm not trying to split hairs here.  Style points certainly do have their benefit in a sport that has a committee determine a team's worthiness of the postseason and/or position.  But, I do have to say that teams rise and fall in the NET all the time while idle--based upon how their opponents perform.

Let's quit worrying about NET points and just go win the conference tournament. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Apologies, we won by 11.

No, we didn't.  Our NET fell because of who else won this week.  Statistically the numbers from last night weren't out of the norm for us other than poor free throw shooting.

You don't get any more credit winning by 20 than by 10.  All benefits cease after you get into double digits.  If anything we fell the second we walked on the floor against UTSA no matter how bad we beat them by.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CMJ said:

You don't get any more credit winning by 20 than by 10.  All benefits cease after you get into double digits. 

While NET does cap margin of victory at 10 points, that is only relevant for Component 5. Component 2, the Net Efficiency, calculates points per possession  based offensive efficiency number and points allowed per possession based defensive efficiency number and takes the net of this.

So there is benefit to winning games by more than 10 points. While a 35 point win and a 10 point win will look the same based on component 5, the 35 point win will yield a higher net efficiency in component 2.

ED8AC337-09E2-4C7B-AA5A-0879FB641C69.jpeg

• Confused 1