Mean green Maniacs are becoming powerful

Jonnyeagle

11 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

So it's okay because somewhere else is worse?

Young college students who are being fans.

Now we have people who complain when they don’t show up and now we have people who complain if they say bullsh$t or overrated when they do show up….

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

SMU student section? I thought that was a myth.

Yes, they started out as Moody Maniacs then decided to change to something similar.

Moody Little Bitches was the obvious choice but it was just too spot-on.

Eventually they settled for Mustang Maniacs, an attempt to pay homage to the death penalty era Mustangmania.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Big Z said:

Now we have people who complain when they don’t show up and now we have people who complain if they say bullsh$t or overrated when they do show up….

No, I think the main issue is inserting M'F'ing in to our fight song.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Quoner said:

When does that happen so audibly you can hear it watching from home? Only tantrums swearing at refs I’ve heard in the arena are from that sweet 40-60 age range that is generally in the process of turning a delightful shade of pink over a botched baseline call while their wives wince or try to calm them down. 

Never, I was being sarcastic but I did hear the MF in our fight song over the television and it was loud and clear.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, UNTLifer said:

Never, I was being sarcastic but I did hear the MF in our fight song over the television and it was loud and clear.

Gotcha - couldn’t tell but was wondering if I missed it. Thanks for clarifying. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Quoner said:

Gotcha - couldn’t tell but was wondering if I missed it. Thanks for clarifying. 

This same situation was battled at UT when it became a publicity black eye.

It continued until Coach Mack Brown requested them to stop by saying  "we don't freestyle with our traditions. That would be like letting some ugly bitch add another color to our official school colors".

OK, maybe I embellished the quote a tad, but that's how they got the students to stop. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Big Z said:

It's truly ironic. I'm sure other student sections are yelling "I just hope both teams have fun." Home court advantage is making the environment uncomfortable for opposing teams. The Maniacs did that so well against Southern Miss that the coach complained to security and they had to make a PA announcement to give the coach a break. I, for one, applaud the Maniacs for doing what they are doing. If that means throwing in a "Mean Green MF Eagles" chant after wins, so be it. To me, it shows an engaged student body and a winning team. 

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Big Z said:

There it is. I was waiting on that one. 

Are those our only two options? 

Don’t come or trash the fight song? Seems like a horrible choice. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

It's truly ironic. I'm sure other student sections are yelling "I just hope both teams have fun." Home court advantage is making the environment uncomfortable for opposing teams. The Maniacs did that so well against Southern Miss that the coach complained to security and they had to make a PA announcement to give the coach a break. I, for one, applaud the Maniacs for doing what they are doing. If that means throwing in a "Mean Green MF Eagles" chant after wins, so be it. To me, it shows an engaged student body and a winning team. 

What?

You can have a home court advantage, harass the opposing team, be loud, etc. without dropping Motherf'er in to our school fight song.  Two entirely different things.  If we have students that refuse to attend a game because they can't desecrate our fight song, then they are coming for the wrong reasons.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

What?

You can have a home court advantage, harass the opposing team, be loud, etc. without dropping Motherf'er in to our school fight song.  Two entirely different things.  If we have students that refuse to attend a game because they can't desecrate our fight song, then they are coming for the wrong reasons.

Not what I'm saying. We wanted increased student attendance, we got it, but you got to take the good and bad that comes with higher attendance. It's what students do. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

13 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

You can have a home court advantage, harass the opposing team, be loud, etc. without dropping Motherf'er in to our school fight song.  Two entirely different things.

I don’t understand the comprehension challenge people are having with this…

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2

Devil's Advocate time...

Our student section received a Technical Foul penalty during the Southern Miss game for using obscenities. 

How would fans have felt if that had instead happened at the end of the La Tech game and caused us to lose the game? 

I love a raucous student section that can help steer the outcome of games, but I too think it should avoid threatening behavior or being excessively vulgar. There are ways to be more effective without lowering our standards.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Devil's Advocate time...

Our student section received a Technical Foul penalty during the Southern Miss game for using obscenities. 

How would fans have felt if that had instead happened at the end of the La Tech game and caused us to lose the game? 

I love a raucous student section that can help steer the outcome of games, but I too think it should avoid threatening behavior or being excessively vulgar. There are ways to be more effective without lowering our standards.

Your so old man. Those are just passionate fans 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Devil's Advocate time...

Careful. The youngsters on here are going to get offended at your discussion of standards. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Y'all seem very passionate about the subject. Why don't you go to games and lecture the students on why dropping a MF in the alma mater is a bad thing? I'm sure your message will be well recieved. 

Probably the same outcome as some of you telling some alums why it’s a good thing. 

actually….why is it a good thing? I haven’t heard yet 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

The solution is clear, at least to me.

If anybody can come up with a phrase that rolls off the tongue better than " Mother F***ing" I think we could turn this around.

Whether or not you think it's stupid, you have to admit that the gap in between UNT and EAGLES is just begging for some knuckleheads to add a little creative flair. 

From what I know, the only attempt UNT has made at trying to curb this behavior has been to change "Mother F***ing" to "Really Awesome" from a few years back... which was hilariously bad

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

28 minutes ago, eeeeagle said:

The solution is clear, at least to me.

If anybody can come up with a phrase that rolls off the tongue better than " Mother F***ing" I think we could turn this around.

Whether or not you think it's stupid, you have to admit that the gap in between UNT and EAGLES is just begging for some knuckleheads to add a little creative flair. 

From what I know, the only attempt UNT has made at trying to curb this behavior has been to change "Mother F***ing" to "Really Awesome" from a few years back... which was hilariously bad

“Really Awesome Eagles” had to be one of the most North Texas things in the history of North Texas. 

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

If you want to bitch about something bitch about the stupid generic “Maniacs” name.

I'm grateful to the leaders that carried it under the "Maniacs" name but I think that issue has already been clearly decided and people are planning on correcting it. I'm sure that same passionate group can rebuild the Pit Crew brand.

GMG!

• Upvote 1