Super Pit Question

Clinetort

On 3/2/2022 at 4:01 PM, Coffee and TV said:

It does actually matter, and as I understand it the number of scholarship players has to remain around the same. Football has no equivalent to that so in a majority of D1 schools you'll find they have more sports offered for women to counter that differential. If you wish to add baseball to UNT you'll need to find the money to fund another sport for women as they already have softball and now they'll be 15 or so scholarships shorter. That's my interpretation of how it works at least.

Two words:  Beach Volleyball....add as many scholarship positions as necessary.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Or maybe he's trying to do his job and elevate a program to a national caliber level? 

Again we just built an indoor practice facility.  Half on the back of two families the other half with a student fee.  Without a major naming rights deal, a new Arena just will not happen with the current donor pool.   We "they" need to mine new donors.  

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2

14 minutes ago, flyonthewall said:

Again we just built an indoor practice facility.  Half on the back of two families the other half with a student fee.  Without a major naming rights deal, a new Arena just will not happen with the current donor pool.   We "they" need to mine new donors.  

Agree with you that we need to mine new donors (there are baseball donors ready to step up).  Disagree that new donors need to be used for an arena. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, flyonthewall said:

WB already addressed the need to fundraise (and lots of it) when he gave the speech about getting into the AAC. @4:02 and @ 23:14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDYtGUbQ-TU&ab_channel=MeanGreenSports

Should that stop him from laying out a national caliber plan for athletics? It's good to set a high standard for yourself. WB has a plan, now it's up to him and his department to work hard to make it happen. In that same video, at 6:53 says it all. The AC expansion is almost certainly next, so that will take time and fundraising itself. I'm sure they are looking at it through that lens, how much time that will take and how much older the Super Pit will be by then. 

Edited by Green Otaku
spelling
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

57 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

WB already addressed the need to fundraise (and lots of it) when he gave the speech about getting into the AAC. @4:02 and @ 23:14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDYtGUbQ-TU&ab_channel=MeanGreenSports

Should that stop him from laying out a national calibre plan for athletics? It's good to set a high standard for yourself. WB has a plan, now it's up to him and his department to work hard to make it happen. In that same video, at 6:53 says it all. The AC expansion is almost certainly next, so that will take time and fundraising itself. I'm sure they are looking at it through that lens, how much time that will take and how much older the Super Pit will be by then. 

I also agree that AC expansion should come next.  I hope they flip flop baseball and do that before the arena.  I'm a man of simple requests.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, flyonthewall said:

I hear where you are coming from but wouldn't having a baseball team attract attention to the sport and potentially new donors?  Not meaning to make a statement here just an honest question.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I hear where you are coming from but wouldn't having a baseball team attract attention to the sport and potentially new donors?  Not meaning to make a statement here just an honest question.

Yes, a baseball team would certainly bring in new donors.  The athletic department has been approached by potential baseball donors.  Plus, winning and success breads new donors.  We could win on a national level with baseball.  We will never be relevant with football.  Hopefully this is the year we break through with basketball, but that is remaining to be seen.  

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Trap question.

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, Clinetort said:

I also agree that AC expansion should come next.  I hope they flip flop baseball and do that before the arena.  I'm a man of simple requests.

FB and BB are the biggest sports for every university. I just don't see a new sport added until both of those are set up for success in the new conference. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

FB and BB are the biggest sports for every university. I just don't see a new sport added until both of those are set up for success in the new conference. 

Other than completing the expansion of the athletic center, what else can we do to set up football for further success?  We pay our coaches well, have top of the line facilities etc.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Clinetort said:

Other than completing the expansion of the athletic center, what else can we do to set up football for further success?  We pay our coaches well, have top of the line facilities etc.  

Think forward and compare our budget/spending to AAC peers.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Clinetort said:

7 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Think forward and compare our budget/spending to AAC peers.

This, and NIL, or whatever else they need to compete. The AC expansion is at best a few years away, so that means the Super Pit renovation/new arena is possibly a decade or more away. The Athletic Department is looking years out. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

This, and NIL, or whatever else they need to compete. The AC expansion is at best a few years away, so that means the Super Pit renovation/new arena is possibly a decade or more away. The Athletic Department is looking years out. 

Money is currently being raised for the AC expansion.  Will probably be completed in the next two to three years.  Next, the AD will have to decide between adding baseball or building an unneeded Arena.  I say future money is best used on baseball.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

29 minutes ago, Clinetort said:

Money is currently being raised for the AC expansion.  Will probably be completed in the next two to three years.  Next, the AD will have to decide between adding baseball or building an unneeded Arena.  I say future money is best used on baseball.

That makes sense.  I think it should be baseball first and then we can focus on the new arena.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Clinetort said:

I trust WB's decision. I'm basically saying, "Ok, but don't get your hopes up." If we follow logic, baseball has so much stacked against it I don't see it as more than a very long shot.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

I trust WB's decision. I'm basically saying, "Ok, but don't get your hopes up." If we follow logic, baseball has so much stacked against it I don't see it as more than a very long shot.

What exactly is logical about college sports?   All of if it is a resource suck.  What we get back is entertainment and a certain amount of branding for our university.  

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

6 minutes ago, Clinetort said:

What exactly is logical about college sports?   All of if it is a resource suck.  What we get back is entertainment and a certain amount of branding for our university.  

Yes, but you are letting your love for baseball cloud what the more logical/likely choice will be. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Yes, but you are letting your love for baseball cloud what the more logical/likely choice will be. 

I agree to a certain extent that my emotions are in play.  But logically, baseball is THE sport that we could compete with anyone on a national level.  That will never happen with football and is unlikely to happen with basketball.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

OMG with the baseball. Yes, it is a travesty this giant university can't seem to support a little ol' baseball team. In fact it can and should, AND have a modern basketball facility.  If we can't have both, then change should come.

It’s really quite ridiculous that UNT AD can sell that we can’t afford baseball but nUTSACk with their paupers budget can.  What’s worse is some on here have bought that story hook, line and slinker.

Edited by Jonnyeagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3

9 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

It’s really quite ridiculous that UNT AD can sell that we can’t afford baseball but nUTSACk with their paupers budget can.  What’s worse is some on here have bought that story hook, line and slinker.

This is basketball relevant because the next big decision regarding the future of UNT athletics is whether or not we will add baseball or build a new basketball arena.  A new basketball arena isn't needed.  Baseball is needed.  

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Clinetort said:

This is basketball relevant because the next big decision regarding the future of UNT athletics is whether or not we will add baseball or build a new basketball arena.  A new basketball arena isn't needed.  Baseball is needed.  

Why is it needed? It hasn't held us (or SMU) back from climbing up the conference hierarchy.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1