Super Pit Question

Clinetort

6 minutes ago, Clinetort said:

We could easily duplicate the loge seats.  Wouldn't cost hardly anything and would bring in significant money.

Wren wants more Loge seats. Getting them is a different story and the problem isn't related to cost.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Wren wants more Loge seats. Getting them is a different story and the problem isn't related to cost.

What is the problem?  Seems like it would be an easy fix.  You're not losing much in seat allocation and construction would be simple.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Clinetort said:

What is the problem?

Athletics would be putting money into a building they hope to get out of. At this point, considering he has already said he wants to build a new arena, it would be fiscally irresponsible to keep putting money into the Pit above the bare minimum. And those are *quote* loge seats *unquote* anyway. They look awful.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Clinetort said:

What is the problem?  Seems like it would be an easy fix.  You're not losing much in seat allocation and construction would be simple.  

Putting in more Loge seats means taking out existing seats, even if those seats bring in more revenue ... for the athletic department. The university has always balked at making changes to the SP that involves reducing the overall capacity since the SP is a big player in graduation ceremonies. 

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Clinetort said:

But there wouldn't be a significant reduction.  You would only lose three to 4 seats per row.  A minimal loss compared to the revenue generated.  I'm sure this wouldn't be a hold up.

You should be a construction engineer, if you aren’t already, because everything is really simple in your eyes. You must see something everyone is missing. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

You should be a construction engineer, if you aren’t already, because everything is really simple in your eyes. You must see something everyone is missing. 

Some people see problems, some people see solutions.  I'm more of a solutions guy.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 3

56 minutes ago, wardly said:

FYI, UTA has a 7,000 seat arena that looks very good.

And it cost $80 million....10 years ago.  They were replacing a court on a stage. 

WE bought an $80 million football stadium instead.  It holds 30,000.

WE are moving up to the AAC, they are moving down to the WAC.

WHO made the better investment?

FYI, WE have an excellent 10K arena already.  WE are good!

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

And it cost $80 million....10 years ago.  They were replacing a court on a stage. 

Nail hitting head!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

16 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Athletics would be putting money into a building they hope to get out of. At this point, considering he has already said he wants to build a new arena, it would be fiscally irresponsible to keep putting money into the Pit above the bare minimum. And those are *quote* loge seats *unquote* anyway. They look awful.

The two scoreboards on either end of the arena really could stand to be replaced. The question really is when will they? Or maybe if they'll be replaced? I believe they are at least 20 years old.

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

The two scoreboards on either end of the arena really could stand to be replaced. The question really is when will they? Or maybe if they'll be replaced? I believe they are at least 20 years old.

Easy solution. We hire a couple kids from the Maniacs to stand up there and use flash cards. Some of you only see problems while I see solutions. 
action league now nicksplat GIF

• Upvote 3
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 1

On 3/6/2022 at 11:20 AM, NT80 said:

I wasn't comparing programs nor investments .Their new arena is equivalent to us replacing our men's gym with the Super Pitt.There were posts about TCU's stadium and I just thru UTA into the mix. However, if the Super Pit is so good [ and I am not saying it isn't although practices are a problem] why is a new dedicated basketball arena on Wren's master plan? Just to look good on paper next to our proposed baseball park?

7 hours ago, wardly said:

I wasn't comparing programs nor investments .Their new arena is equivalent to us replacing our men's gym with the Super Pitt.There were posts about TCU's stadium and I just thru UTA into the mix. However, if the Super Pit is so good [ and I am not saying it isn't although practices are a problem] why is a new dedicated basketball arena on Wren's master plan? Just to look good on paper next to our proposed baseball park?

Wren is attempting to build a new basketball arena because it would look good on his resume.  AD's move on to bigger and better job because of facilities built ( I guess even if they're not needed).

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Clinetort said:

AD's move on to bigger and better job because of facilities built ( I guess even if they're not needed).

AD’s are hired and fired based primarily on their ability to fundraise and hire the right coaches. If Wren raised $100M at UNT, that would be viewed positively no matter what the funds were used for. Do you really think that if he raised enough capital to start a baseball program from scratch and elevated annual giving in a way to sustain a baseball program wouldn’t “pad his resume”? I know this narrative you’re trying to write is that this is somehow just to pad his resume, but your opinion that baseball is more important than a new arena is trumping reality. You just disagree with him about a new basketball arena. Leave it at that instead of trying to find ulterior  motives.

Edited by DentonLurker
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

AD’s are hired and fired based primarily on their ability to fundraise and hire the right coaches. If Wren raised $100M at UNT, that would be viewed positively no matter what the funds were used for. Do you really think that if he raised enough capital to start a baseball program from scratch and elevated annual giving in a way to sustain a baseball program wouldn’t “pad his resume”? I know this narrative you’re trying to write is that this is somehow just to pad his resume, but your opinion that baseball is more important than a new arena is trumping reality. You just disagree with him about a new basketball arena. Leave it at that instead of trying to find ulterior  motives.

AD's looking to move on to bigger and better jobs are judged on facilities built, not programs added.  I've agreed with every move Wren has made to this point.  If he prioritizes an unneeded arena over a baseball program, then there will be pushback.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, flyonthewall said:

To your point.  A lot of this depends on what donors will buy in to as a need.  At this point everyone sitting on that front row at the super pit are heavily invested in other projects.  As i have stated many times, if donor x "pledges" or "donates" 1 million, just as an exemple the payout of that commitment could work many ways, but in the case of north texas it is usually five years.

This is why it is so important for us to mine new donors right now.   Current large donors are somewhat tapped.

Very true.  I know for a fact that athletics has been approached by donors that would like to raise money for baseball.  To this point, they have been ignored.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Clinetort said:

Wren is attempting to build a new basketball arena because it would look good on his resume.  AD's move on to bigger and better job because of facilities built ( I guess even if they're not needed).

Or maybe he's trying to do his job and elevate a program to a national caliber level? 

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 hours ago, Clinetort said:

AD's looking to move on to bigger and better jobs are judged on facilities built, not programs added.  I've agreed with every move Wren has made to this point.  If he prioritizes an unneeded arena over a baseball program, then there will be pushback.

It's fairly clear from this thread that the people asking for baseball is very small. If there is any pushback it will only be from a handful of people. You are free to feel how you want and state your case, but that is simply the reality of the situation. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

It's fairly clear from this thread that the people asking for baseball is very small. If there is any pushback it will only be from a handful of people. You are free to feel how you want and state your case, but that is simply the reality of the situation. 

Maybe, but the right "handful of people" can be pretty raucous 😉

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, greenminer said:

What if we built a baseball/basketball arena?  That would be my solution.

We need to take a page out of Ohio State's book.  Any new sports facility should also be a dorm providing student housing or class rooms.  The buildings sit mostly idle until game days.  Need to be more creative and resourceful in how we utilize our buildings.  Would this open up some interesting  financing/funding options?  The horse shoe stadium at OSU is (or at least was) also a dorm.  

• Upvote 5