Super Pit Question

Clinetort

It’s about a lot more than suites. The Super Pit is just outdated. It’s lacking a ton of amenities that new arenas have. I could go on and on about the things modern arenas have that the Super Pit doesn’t have. Don’t let one game throw off your perspective on what size arena we should be playing in either. We averaged under 4k on the year. Do the math. That’s averaging less than a half-full arena with the best team I’ve seen suit up at the Super Pit.

• Upvote 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Ray 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 11

8 hours ago, Clinetort said:

I know this has been discussed previously, but why would we want to replace the Super Pit?  Incredible environment today that certainly gave our team an advantage.  Building a 6k to 7k arena just for the sake of having suits seems extremely silly to me.  A total misallocation of resources.  Hell, let's build a 20 million dollar practice facility and use the other 60 million to start baseball.  

You can see my post in another thread. Unfortunately the super pit is not a viable long term option

• Upvote 4
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 4

Just now, meangreenfaninno said:

Why can’t they build

suites up high and just remove some of

the seats to make room?  Surely an architect firm could provide a reasonable solution.

The university doesnt want to diminish seating capacity.  The Coliseum is used for much more than basketball.  Graduations are the driving factor in keeping the seating capacity where it is, i do believe.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Clinetort said:

I know this has been discussed previously, but why would we want to replace the Super Pit?  Incredible environment today that certainly gave our team an advantage.  Building a 6k to 7k arena just for the sake of having suits seems extremely silly to me.  A total misallocation of resources.  Hell, let's build a 20 million dollar practice facility and use the other 60 million to start baseball.  

This. 

La Tech had as much talk on their fan forum about their baseball start as they did about basketball.  

"there are approximately 299 NCAA Division I baseball programs with each team being allowed to offer a maximum of (11.7) scholarships. Under NCAA rules, these 11.7 scholarships can be divided between a maximum of 27 players, with all players on athletic scholarship having to receive a minimum of a 25% scholarship."

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

What does it say that our administration wants to spend 80 to 100 million dollars on a new arena that seats between 6 to 7 k?  Does it mean they have given up on attracting crowds like we had yesterday?  If so, someone needs to be held accountable.  

Edited by Clinetort
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

7 hours ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Why can’t they build

suites up high and just remove some of

the seats to make room?  Surely an architect firm could provide a reasonable solution.

Anything can de done with enough money, the issue is weighing the cost of remodeling/building new. As has been discussed many times on this forum the Super Pit would have to be completely gutted to do a meaningful renovation which means it will be the same cost or maybe more of building a new arena. 

In my mind the two options are tear the Super Pit down fully and build a new arena, or leave the Pit and build a new arena next to Apogee.  Each solution has pros and cons. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

The university doesnt want to diminish seating capacity.  The Coliseum is used for much more than basketball.  Graduations are the driving factor in keeping the seating capacity where it is, i do believe.

Dammit! Now you've gotten me playing with my Mean Green Legos.

The university needs to build a grand auditorium, something that can really be used to bolster our performing arts and also host concerts and celebrity speakers as well as seat graduating classes as large as 1200 on it's stage.. We are the "arts & music" school of America, we need it. Build it where the intramural fields (and Cement City) are now.

The Super Pit needs to be given to the athletic department to be converted into a perfect sports facility, or as perfect as it can be. Match the entrance door level with a parking garage across the street and cover North Texas Blvd in that area.

The entirety of what was Fouts and it's surrounding parking  areas should be turned into an immense parking garage, designed to support student parking and shuttle services, as well as Apogee, Super Pit, and the new huge Performing Arts Center. I would love to see I-35 eventually covered in this area, similar to Clyde Warren Park in Dallas.

Ideally, we could also build a clone of the Cowboy's Ford Center where the baseball field is currently slated to be built. With interchangeable floors there and in the new IPF, it would instantly propel North Texas as being the logical choice for major basketball, tennis, indoor track, gymnastics, soccer, and even hockey tournaments as well as potentially hosting football games during extremely inclement weather.

Integrate the Gateway facility into this plan. It is too new and attractive of a building to be as poorly utilized as it is.

These venues in such close proximity would be ideal for hosting conventions, and that brings huge revenue into the community. Hotels would be clamoring to build so close to hospitals, entertainment facilities, sports venues, and convention halls. 

The Ford Center at The Star

The university and the city of Denton have changed enormously in the last 30 years, and the growth for both is quickly accelerating. What changes would you like to see made to campus and our surrounding areas?

35 years ago Frisco was a tiny town with a water tower and a 2A high school. Look how it's changed since the Metroplex engulfed it. They planned well and became something other than just another sprawling bedroom community. We too should plan ahead.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

8 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I recall there is an asbestos issue if any significant remodel work is done.  I believe that significant remodeling would also lead to ADA compliance issues that would have to be addressed as well. 

This is 100% accurate and the main reason the pit is not a viable option to rebuild. I love the pit. I think it's a great place to watch a game (sightlines are all really good) and when it's packed like it was last night it's a special environment. I am also realistic that the facility is going to be 50 years old next year (built 1973) and it's not feasible to do everything needed to keep it going for 25, 30, or 35 years. 

Edited by bstnsportsfan3
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

The SuperPit needs to be relegated to graduations and other events. It’s been a great venue dripping with history. But the new venue needs to have modern amenities including a beer garden, jack daniels club, current eats and natural light.

See Q2 stadium in Austin. It needs to rival anything the Big 12 will build in the future, Texas is hoops land now. Create a venue in the rich Metroplex that people will come to for fun win lose suck or be great. 

GMG 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 6