Grambling St. hires ex-Baylor coach Art Briles as OC

Dannymacfan

16 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

That is kind of ridiculous to stretch my statement into saying that I suggest he led young men astray.  Moral oversight means being aware and vigilant of major off the field issues and taking appropriate action when you discover players and/or coaches going rogue.  He failed at that.   Fact is that he is 66 and I want my OC to be around 5 years or more if possible.  That isn’t the stage of his life or career.  And he is totally unqualified to hold a FBS head coaching position with his moral oversight failure IMO. I want an OC on his way up not on his way down coming off a very bad scandal. 

You said he should have no contact with players or recruits. In what way did his contact with either lead to a sexual assault in Waco, Texas?

• Eye Roll 2

15 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

It happened under his watch. No way he his head was in the clouds on these acts.  You can forgive him, but he’s earned a lifetime ban from Coaching young men. 

Then why is his number 2 coaching for us? And why did we hire one of his staunchest defenders as qb coach until we had to let him go? I guess the head coach is the only one responsible for the acts. 

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2786674-ex-baylor-dc-denies-sexual-assault-coverup-says-art-briles-deserves-to-coach.amp.html

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/91398698

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

You said he should have no contact with players or recruits. In what way did his contact with either lead to a sexual assault in Waco, Texas?

Because that isn’t what I would need him for at this stage of his career.   You have a whole staff more than capable of interacting with recruits and players.  Whether they are  right or wrong to feel negatively toward Briles,  I am sure there are plenty of parents that would try to steer they son away from a coaching staff prominently featuring him.   So I don’t feature him and recruit/player contact is totally unnecessary.  ( And I bet right now GSU would like a do over to hire him as a consultant instead of OC because he was forced to resign purely from PR.   ) Now does what I said make sense?

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Then why is his number 2 coaching for us? And why did we hire one of his staunchest defenders as qb coach until we had to let him go? I guess the head coach is the only one responsible for the acts. 

Man, you ok? Tough day for Art Briles, getting drop kicked like a Tevin Elliott girlfriend again. I guess he’s just too toxic for anybody. I know one thing—he will never coach one day here.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Man, you ok? Tough day for Art Briles, getting drop kicked like a Tevin Elliott girlfriend again. I guess he’s just too toxic for anybody. I know one thing—he will never coach one day here.

And Deonte Simpson’s too. Glass houses.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

9 minutes ago, greenminer said:

This is so sad.  The man wanted this job as he has the past ones.  Schools want to hire him and then the backlash catches up to him.  He should just hang it up and retire.

Edited by meangreenfaninno
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

The big-time college coaching career of Art Briles effectively died on May 26, 2016. The coroner’s report listed sports media-induced “cancel culture” as the cause of death.

In an attempt to quell a media firestorm, Baylor fired its most successful football coach in history immediately after listening to a law firm’s oral report on a flawed and arguably racially-motivated, nine-month investigation into a campus-wide sexual assault problem. The report helped the media paint Briles’ football program as renegade and dedicated to covering up the criminal misdeeds of its black players.

In football circles, Briles’ name became as toxic as disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein. The social-media mob chased Briles out of the Canadian Football League and across the Atlantic Ocean to the Italian Federation of American Football. 

Today, Briles is the head coach of a small high school in Texas. He returned to his roots, the original prep platform where he perfected the spread offense that would make Baylor a national powerhouse and Robert Griffin III the 2011 Heisman Trophy winner.

read more: https://www.outkick.com/baylor-used-a-racist-smear-of-black-football-players-to-cancel-art-briles/

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

It's kind of hard to see why this is on our football forum, other than a lack of anything else. He never had a chance of being hired here. There seems to be some undercurrent of support for his rehabilitation, but we are in no position to do anything but look forward to the next hfc coach hire for UNT, who needs to be someone without the kind of baggage that the Briles name brings. Doesn't he have a retirement plan sufficient to get us past some kind of pity party for the guy?

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Puking Eagle 1