Grambling St. hires ex-Baylor coach Art Briles as OC

Dannymacfan

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Doug Williams, alumnus of Grambling, already stated that he's done with the program because they hired him. Said that Briles being condoned is allowing the condoning of what happened under his watch in Waco. I'm sure he's not alone, either.

He won’t be there but a year or two anyhow, especially if they win. If they win, most will forget and he will be hired away just like his son and all of the Baylor staffers. 

• Upvote 1

As far as his hiring goes, it is about time. Elliott and Ukwuachu were the only convictions. One was suspended before being arrested, the other never played a game for the team. 

If you feel the need for some college football outrage, see how University of Texas players treat women.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/234977068/Affidavit-For-Montrel-Meander-and-Kendall-Sanders

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

I will never want to attenuate the situation with Briles like this.  IMO, he set the bar.  No coming back.  Ever.  No reconsideration.   Stop softening the Baylor situation, even if you somehow lessen Briles 'involvement.

It's not like he's suffering, or we are taking his life.  He's 66.  Move on.  CFB will be fine without him, and him without us.

I guess due process goes out the window with you. Court of public opinion or gtfo.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

20 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I guess due process goes out the window with you. Court of public opinion or gtfo.

It's not necessarily about his guilt.  The Baylor situation was that atrocious, not some corner store, petty theft that Briles got cleared from.  If I'm a parent of a student-athlete, I wouldn't want any of that football staff near my kid.  I don't care of that's public opinion court to you, that's a parent in their right mind.

IMO, when you try and nit pick about who got due process, convictions, etc, you're in this gray area where you ARE softening the horror of that actual crimes.  Even if that's not your intent.

I guess what i'm saying is two parts:

1) due process may allow him legally to interview/be considered, but
2) Everyone in CFB should want nothing to do with him. ever

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

It's not necessarily about his guilt.  The Baylor situation was that atrocious, not some corner store, petty theft that Briles got cleared from.  If I'm a parent of a student-athlete, I wouldn't want any of that football staff near my kid.  I don't care of that's public opinion court to you, that's a parent in their right mind.

IMO, when you try and nit pick about who got due process, convictions, etc, you're in this gray area where you ARE softening the horror of that actual crimes.  Even if that's not your intent.

I guess what i'm saying is two parts:

1) due process may allow him legally to interview/be considered, but
2) Everyone in CFB should want nothing to do with him. ever

If we are truly Christian’s should we not forgive past discretions if the person truly regrets their action and has apologized and asked for repentance?

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Remember several on here have appointed themselves judge and jury. They understand more than most and get to decide who deserves a second chance and who does not meet their standards. I am sure they turn their backs on those in their lives who made mistakes; just to be consistent.

• Upvote 3
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

8 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Doug Williams, alumnus of Grambling, already stated that he's done with the program because they hired him. Said that Briles being condoned is allowing the condoning of what happened under his watch in Waco. I'm sure he's not alone, either.

Isn't he the same one who once said of a player for the Redskins that was accused of domestic violence that it was "small potatoes compared to other things"

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2

On 2/25/2022 at 9:17 PM, meangreenfaninno said:

If we are truly Christian’s should we not forgive past discretions if the person truly regrets their action and has apologized and asked for repentance?

Forgiveness doesn’t mean you have to give him a job in the realm where failed miserably when it comes to moral oversight.  He is 66 and has plenty of money to retire comfortably.  Maybe hire him as a part time consultant coaching the assistant coaches, teaching them his system and breaking down tape the day after games.  He should have no contact with recruits or player and his involvement shouldn’t be announced in a celebratory fashion.   

Although I wouldn’t like it, here as a consultant with head coach with approaching his fourth  strike would make sense.  It would a tangible positive move on the coaching staff from an X & O’s standpoint.  Right now we got zilch except  hoping that an unknown commodity can make this offense better in 2022.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Forgiveness doesn’t mean you have to give him a job in the realm where failed miserably when it comes to moral oversight.  He is 66 and has plenty of money to retire comfortably.  Maybe hire him as a part time consultant coaching the assistant coaches, teaching them his system and breaking down tape the day after games.  He should have no contact with recruits or player and his involvement shouldn’t be announced in a celebratory fashion.   

Although I wouldn’t like it, here as a consultant with head coach with approaching his fourth  strike would make sense.  It would a tangible positive move on the coaching staff from an X & O’s standpoint.  Right now we got zilch expect hoping that an unknown commodity can make this offense better in 2022.

Now hold on, what has he ever done to encourage unsavory acts against women?

My understanding is that he had athletes that crossed the line and chose to let the legal system play out. He didn’t organize assault parties or allow it to happen in athletic facilities and look the other way like at Penn State. He didn’t kick them off the team as fast as some would’ve liked but he didn’t lead these young men to any of that behavior. I don’t see why you’d be so scared of him coaching young men as an assistant. You think he is going to talk an 18-23 year old man into to becoming a rapist? Come on man.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 7

19 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Now hold on, what has he ever done to encourage unsavory acts against women?

My understanding is that he had athletes that crossed the line and chose to let the legal system play out. He didn’t organize assault parties or allow it to happen in athletic facilities and look the other way like at Penn State. He didn’t kick them off the team as fast as some would’ve liked but he didn’t lead these young men to any of that behavior. I don’t see why you’d be so scared of him coaching young men as an assistant. You think he is going to talk an 18-23 year old man into to becoming a rapist? Come on man.

That is kind of ridiculous to stretch my statement into saying that I suggest he led young men astray.  Moral oversight means being aware and vigilant of major off the field issues and taking appropriate action when you discover players and/or coaches going rogue.  He failed at that.   Fact is that he is 66 and I want my OC to be around 5 years or more if possible.  That isn’t the stage of his life or career.  And he is totally unqualified to hold a FBS head coaching position with his moral oversight failure IMO. I want an OC on his way up not on his way down coming off a very bad scandal.