I usually get pretty engrossed in wars and watching them on TV but for some reason this one just does not move the needle for me.  It seems like they should just give Russia the areas that they want and be over with it.  Seems silly to have people die over this when most of the residents want to be with Russia anyway.  I am open to other thoughts on this. 

• Upvote 6
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 9
  • Puking Eagle 4

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I usually get pretty engrossed in wars and watching them on TV but for some reason this one just does not move the needle for me.  It seems like they should just give Russia the areas that they want and be over with it.  Seems silly to have people die over this when most of the residents want to be with Russia anyway.  I am open to other thoughts on this. 

Russia wants Odessa - not just those 2 areas. They've lacked a freshwater port since USSR breakup.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

16 minutes ago, GBarksdale said:

Most Ukranians don't want to be with Russia.  It's been a bone of contention with them for centuries.

But they don't want to be with Russia. I once dated a Ukrainian that explained to me how deep it goes

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

3 minutes ago, Quoner said:

My mother is full Ukrainian after her grandmother fled alone to NYC in her teenage years to escape Russia and settled with the others in the city. You’re spot on and for those who don’t have a frame of reference, think of how Miami Cubans feel about Castro and multiply by size of territories. 

Exactly, and for reference, Pro-Russian Ukrainians are considered "separatists" in the country. I don't think I would want to openly join a country that has launched multiple attacks on me over the years, attempted to hack and de-stabilize my infrastructure, and just see me as an imperialist target for a borderline dictator trying to cement his legacy. 

• Upvote 5

51 minutes ago, GBarksdale said:

Most Ukranians don't want to be with Russia.  It's been a bone of contention with them for centuries.

This is confirmed by Ukraine's relationship with Western countries instead of Mother Russia like their neighbor, Belarus.  Ukraine has sought ties with the rest of Europe since the fall of the USSR.

It's hard for me to understand why Estonia, Latvia, & Lithuania all got into NATO, but Ukraine (who has lobbied for decades) has not yet been admitted.    This would not be happening if Ukraine would have been able to join like they've wanted to.

• Upvote 5

37 minutes ago, LongJim said:

So apparently Putin sent forces through this area because it's an exclusionary zone (because of the radiation still there from 1986) -- meaning he's willing to expose his own troops to radiation poisoning to achieve his aims. 

And the even bigger issue is this, from the NY Times:  Should an artillery shell hit the storage unit, “radioactive dust could cover the territory of Ukraine, Belarus and the countries of the European Union.”

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

This is not just about Donbass.

Reports are now that Russian forces have moved across from Belarus and have taken over the Chernobyl site after a brief skirmish with Ukraine's military.

Chernobyl is closer to Kyiv than Waco is to Dallas.    This thing is going to be over in less than 48 hours...  and NATO is doing nothing about it.

Putin called everyone's bluff and won.   His winnings?   Not only getting the apple of his eye, Ukraine, and all of their natural resources (which are EXTREMELY ABUNDANT), but all of these shiny new military supplies many of the Western countries, including the US, sent to Ukraine without backing them up.

Wonder who's next?  Belarus?  Moldova (@97and03 isn't this where you are??  What are things like there??)?  Georgia/Armenia/Azerbaijan?   ...Finland?  Sweeden? 

Which one of these fine countries will get NATO to stand up if they won't even do so for Ukraine?

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Putin called everyone's bluff and won.   His winnings?   

Guerilla resistance by the Ukrainians.  Russian body bags.  Divided Russian public opinion on the invasion -- sanctions and even more economic pain for the Russian population.  

Could very well be a pyrrhic victory

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, GBarksdale said:

Guerilla resistance by the Ukrainians.  Russian body bags.  Divided Russian public opinion on the invasion -- sanctions and even more economic pain for the Russian population.  

Could very well be a pyrrhic victory

Ah yes, Sanctions.  We'll see. 
I already can see where that's headed when China sees a needy trading partner they can rake over the coals... only making them stronger.   And we all know the tiny Island state China has had their eye on for a while now.  Why not go ahead and take it?  Apparently No one is going to do anything.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Ah yes, Sanctions.  We'll see. 
I already can see where that's headed when China sees a needy trading partner they can rake over the coals... only making them stronger.   And we all know the tiny Island state China has had their eye on for a while now.  Why not go ahead and take it?  Apparently No one is going to do anything.

As long as Europe has to count on Russia for oil and gas it's hard to punish them. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is not just about Donbass.

Reports are now that Russian forces have moved across from Belarus and have taken over the Chernobyl site after a brief skirmish with Ukraine's military.

Chernobyl is closer to Kyiv than Waco is to Dallas.    This thing is going to be over in less than 48 hours...  and NATO is doing nothing about it.

Putin called everyone's bluff and won.   His winnings?   Not only getting the apple of his eye, Ukraine, and all of their natural resources (which are EXTREMELY ABUNDANT), but all of these shiny new military supplies many of the Western countries, including the US, sent to Ukraine without backing them up.

Wonder who's next?  Belarus?  Moldova (@97and03 isn't this where you are??  What are things like there??)?  Georgia/Armenia/Azerbaijan?   ...Finland?  Sweeden? 

Which one of these fine countries will get NATO to stand up if they won't even do so for Ukraine?

I was in Vienna, Austria a few years ago on a walking tour. They suddenly roped us off and wouldn't let us cross a street. This armed motorcade came hauling ass in front of us. It was for Alexander Lukashenko the Belarus dictator that is buddies with Putin. He was there to meet with the Austrian Prime Minister. Weirdest thing I have encountered traveling. They had a band playing for him and a military color guard.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Talk about being passive and rolling over to take the bone. I want your car, you should just give it to me. Damn man.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

hot-take.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1