A message from Dr. Neal Smatresk

20 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Why would you assume I applied it to me personally? Didn’t think my question led to that. In no way did I take that as applying to me. 

Good!

I’m glad to see that you WOULD discuss with someone I just don’t know how you can decide who is racist, transphobic, etc and who is not. 

People usually show their ass pretty quickly in those types of discussions. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

So you felt compelled to lash out in a superior, uncivilized way because you perceived my statement about not engaging with hateful people as applying to you? Might be time for some soul searching. 

Plenty. Again, if you took this to apply to you personally, maybe you should look inward. 

No soul searching needed. I know you're type. You showed it in your original comment. You'll try to play games about semantics and throw out all the "well if you felt offended maybe that's a you problem" like you already have. You're unable to have a legitimate conversation about why people have different opinions without attacking. It's further evidenced by your description of my response as lashing out and uncivilized. Any response disagreeing with yours is "lashing out" and "uncivilized."

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

41 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

No soul searching needed. I know you're type. You showed it in your original comment. You'll try to play games about semantics and throw out all the "well if you felt offended maybe that's a you problem" like you already have.

No semantics were used. I said I don’t engage with hateful people. You used that to call my character into question and turn yourself into some sort of bizarre victim of my statement. 

My use of lashing out had nothing to do with disagreement and everything to do with your belittling of me as a person despite knowing nothing of me outside of “my type.”

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

No semantics were used. I said I don’t engage with hateful people. You used that to call my character into question and turn yourself into some sort of bizarre victim of my statement. 

Considering the thread topic and the national events that have taken place the past 2 years, it's very obvious what you meant and the type of people you were referring to as hateful. I'm not going to go back and forth with you on this; I can go on Twitter if I want to read this kind of commentary. Good day.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

On 3/4/2022 at 4:13 PM, ColoradoEagle said:

I'm not going to debate someone who's racist, homophobic, transphobic, classist, and/or ignorant (not referring to you, saying in general). I'm sure there are ways of changing some peoples' minds on those types of things, and props to the people who have that level of patience...I'm just not one of them.

13 hours ago, xyresic said:

YCT has a lawsuit against the school and is being guided by various conservative organizations on how to work the system to their advantage. The schools legal team can’t boot them because they are intentionally instigating things while pushing boundaries between free speech and hate speech.

Just wanted to give some background so people understand the school isn’t backing YCT at all it’s just attempting to follow legal guidance in what amounts to a lose/lose situation where both sides are drawing attention with no rational conversation occurring.

Just like various liberal groups working the system. Groups from all sides are working the system to do what is in their interest, many leaving no room for comprise.  Disagreement can be good, but seems to be more people nowadays would rather try and destroy those who disagree rather than find a way to work together. In the meantime it's not so much who is right or wrong, but who can yell the loudest and take advantage of social media.

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

7 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I’m surprised this thread is still open!

But this “protest” made UNT look like a clown college for the crazies. Both sides made everything so insane, and journalists made it worse with the extremely misleading headlines and such.

As is the norm. I feel like if "journalists" would stop making both sides appear so inflammatory, people wouldn't be at eachothers throats so quickly calling them racist, homophobic etc... simply because they have a policy disagreement. I'm sometimes ashamed to say I graduated from the Mayborn School of Journalism. Journalism today is why I chose to pursue a different career path.

Side note, most of my family and family friends are very liberal but they don't behave this way. There's good people out there on both sides but I'm afraid the younger generations were never taught or have forgotten how to communicate face-to-face due to social media and texting which is why we are where we are today. Society is filled with savages who can't handle the challenge of thinking outside of their box.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

20 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Considering the thread topic and the national events that have taken place the past 2 years, it's very obvious what you meant and the type of people you were referring to as hateful.

I referred to hateful people as hateful. Not even sure what national events you’re alluding to or how they’re tied to my statement. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

I’m a bit baffled as to the sympathy for YCT and Younger on here even from the predictable types. If you are on their side, you are supporting a 20-year old “Christian fascist”.

That’s literally what she proudly calls herself. So…

I don't know anything about either one of them and won't blindly pick a side. That said, I'm 100% for freedom of speech regardless of if I like it or not. It's one of the greatest things about our country. Asking Smastrek to ban YCT and prevent events because of one group's opinion not only would set a dangerous precedent on who gets to pick what's allowed on campus, he would be violating the constitution as a public (government) employee no different than a police department or government official banning a peaceful protest. As a public university president, he's bound to uphold the constitution.

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

20 hours ago, texx2818 said:

I’m a bit baffled as to the sympathy for YCT and Younger on here even from the predictable types. If you are on their side, you are supporting a 20-year old “Christian fascist”.

No sympathy here that I may seeing.  Just an acknowledgment that freedom of speech allows for some crazies to exist and come up to the surface from time to time.  Methinks you equate acknowledging that as support and its most certainly not.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

21 hours ago, texx2818 said:

I can't find any source that says she (I had to look up a name since I know nothing about YCT and I assume it is the student referenced in the articles) calls herself a "Christian fascist".  If it is proudly stated then I should be able to find proof. Provide a link to this statement.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Thank you. That is rather odd way for one to identify herself. I assume that the funding you reference might be from Student Fees and not "tax dollars". I would think that an "anarchocapitalist" would always be opposed to taxes in any form any way and generally opposed to funding education with tax dollars.

Edited by MCMLXXX

1 hour ago, texx2818 said:

It’s a university sponsored organization  which means that our tax dollars are going to support things like YCT UNT, which is a Christian fascist organization. At that point it’s not a free speech issue. I’m not religious and an anarchocapitalist, so, my tax dollars going to this woman’s organization is an infringement on my rights, is it not?

That's not quite how that works... the school has a fund dedicated for student organizations. Just because an organization exists, doesn't mean they necessarily use money from the fund. When I was on campus, your organization had to apply for funds and would get approved or denied but otherwise you would do fundraisers or spend your own money. In regards to who gets money, denying one because you don't agree with them is again dangerous territory. In that case, somebody will always disagree with something, nobody gets money or approved as an organization, and that's the end of it. It's all or nothing, not all if you agree and nothing if you don't. 

Regarding the "leader," I can see why she's unpopular. Thanks for posting the video and tweet. I've never seen somebody describe themselves the way she does. She wants attention. Stop protesting her "events" and she'll probably get bored. Chaos gives her platform the viewership she wants so she's not going to stop.

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

6 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Regarding the "leader," I can see why she's unpopular. Thanks for posting the video and tweet. I've never seen somebody describe themselves the way she does. She wants attention. Stop protesting her "events" and she'll probably get bored. Chaos gives her platform the viewership she wants so she's not going to stop.

Yep, she's an idiot and just seeking attention following the lead of many online/in social media that have discovered there is money in being controversial.  She's an embarrassment and so are those protesting against her.  I feel for Dr. Smatresk because he is being put in an odd situtation and it is no-win.

• Upvote 6